Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that my standby time has greatly improved by turning off t-mobile wifi calling. I didn't have a problem getting through a day, but it annoyed me that the phone would drop so quickly when I wasn't even using it. Now it is much better, even connected to my Gear S3 all day.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that my standby time has greatly improved by turning off t-mobile wifi calling. I didn't have a problem getting through a day, but it annoyed me that the phone would drop so quickly when I wasn't even using it. Now it is much better, even connected to my Gear S3 all day.

One of the first things I always turn off in all my phones, I mean, when and if I need to use it, there is a Quick toggle for that, I've never understand why it needs to be on by default, when MOST of the regular users (not us, the ones that comes to forums) will simply leave everything on, just as it comes out of the box.

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
One of the first things I always turn off in all my phones, I mean, when and if I need to use it, there is a Quick toggle for that, I've never understand why it needs to be on by default, when MOST of the regular users (not us, the ones that comes to forums) will simply leave everything on, just as it comes out of the box.
There's a quick toggle for wifi calling? I have to use it at home because I barely have service.

Even still.... This is a month of having the phone...

e4042815ff63c85c90cfea8b0feba07b.jpg
3c114fa1856309c73e2863a29a09533d.jpg

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from Project Fi and a Nexus 6P to T-Mobile and an S8+. It has taken me some time to get used to Samsung's skin and to get the phone setup the way I like it. I didn't give the Wifi Calling thing a 2nd thought until I finally started really looking at battery life. I was getting frustrated that my 6p running O seemed to have better standby. Turned WiFi calling off and all of a sudden standby dramatically improved. I can say that a user like my wife would have never touched that toggle. I suspect the majority of T-Mobile S8/8+ users have no idea how much that feature is killing their standby battery life.

I suspect lookout is also causing issues. I need to completely disable that one next. I like the idea of it sending a location ping right before the phone dies, but I suspect the everyday battery drain isn't worth it. I also think it might be related to something I noticed last night.

I was sitting in a movie theater where t-mobile service doesn't quite make it. I unlocked the phone before the show started and noticed that location was pinging constantly. I'm wondering if this is related to lookout.

This was the first time I sort of wished i was back on Fi as it would have switched to crappy, but still usable sprint service in that spot.

karma34

May 25, 2017
Visit site
Ok guys!
I had good battety life at the beginning (6h sot) on regular s8.
Then it became **** (4h).(high android system battery usage)
And after reading forums (a lot)
I found a solution:

If you have a sd card, remove it! Or at least remove the apps from the sd card! I will try to format the card later to see if I can put it back in!

For me it helped, back to normal.

Let me know how it goes

LetMeKnowIf

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok guys!
I found a solution:

If you have a sd card, remove it! Or at least remove the apps from the sd card! I will try to format the card later to see if I can put it back in!

Let me know how it goes
Can you tell me how to move all apps and files (Spotify offline etc) back to the internal? Is it just copy past and will my apps work after that?

I want to try out your solution

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys!
I found a solution:

Let me know how it goes
How do you suspect apps on the SD card is the culprit of your poorer battery life?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually so far pleased with the battery life, though I don't think I've ever used the phone so much where I would have the screen on for 8+ hours during a single charge. My S7e running the same apps as my S8+ seems to get about half the battery life span as the S8+.

But like all my other phones, and what someone mentioned above - I notice that the act of my phone switching from LTE to 4G and vice versa is a battery killer and in the office being on the 40th floor - my phone is trying to latch on to LTE and then drops to 4G and then back up again practically all day. When my phone is stable on either LTE or 4G, my battery is not anywhere killed as quickly. If there was a way for me to fix it so that it stays on 4G (nonLTE) at the office, I would but then I used some app to do that on my S7e in the past and it sometimes made matters worse.

Wifi is a different story. I can last a very long time if I was always on Wifi.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually so far pleased with the battery life, though I don't think I've ever used the phone so much where I would have the screen on for 8+ hours during a single charge. My S7e running the same apps as my S8+ seems to get about half the battery life span as the S8+.

But like all my other phones, and what someone mentioned above - I notice that the act of my phone switching from LTE to 4G and vice versa is a battery killer and in the office being on the 40th floor - my phone is trying to latch on to LTE and then drops to 4G and then back up again practically all day. When my phone is stable on either LTE or 4G, my battery is not anywhere killed as quickly. If there was a way for me to fix it so that it stays on 4G (nonLTE) at the office, I would but then I used some app to do that on my S7e in the past and it sometimes made matters worse.

Wifi is a different story. I can last a very long time if I was always on Wifi.

Jglasgow

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Same here, my Note 5 lasted as long as it could until it got the most recent OS update and that basically killed the batter. I've had the S8+ for about 3 weeks and get around 8 hours SOT with heavy usage. I love it.

thisdesertlife09

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I'm not wonderful with phones and can't show you stats. I purchased the S8+ yesterday, fully charged it, and took it off charger at 830a. It's 1030a now and has drained to 66% from light browsing and Facebook usage.
20min reading some of this thread drained battery from 78% to 66%. I am not remotely impressed, and this is compared to an old Galaxy Note!!!!!

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm not wonderful with phones and can't show you stats. I purchased the S8+ yesterday, fully charged it, and took it off charger at 830a. It's 1030a now and has drained to 66% from light browsing and Facebook usage.
20min reading some of this thread drained battery from 78% to 66%. I am not remotely impressed, and this is compared to an old Galaxy Note!!!!!

download greenify, set it up to save power.
Then go into the Phone setting to battery.
And optimize all the apps.

You will have to run your phones battery up and down from about 70% to full a few time.
If you do all this it should help your bettery life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1eoozGwwHY