Thoughts about Samsung's Clear View Standing Cover

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I have always had Samsung's "S-View Cover" cases, with the window, and I've got to say that I really liked the version on the S7 Edge -- the right edge, when closed, really wrapped around the phone nicely.

But, it looks like Samsung isn't making one for the S8 -- the closest thing you can get is the "Clear View Standing Cover." I've got to say that I'm not as happy with it as with the S7 Edge and its S-View cover.

For one thing, it is VERY reflective -- it is the PERFECT fingerprint magnet. It will be a mess, 100% of the time. But you can signal airplanes and helicopters if you get lost in the woods with the thing.

Secondly, it doesn't seem to "curve around the phone's edge" at all, like the S-View cover on the S7 Edge did. It's frankly a little bit of a fumble to get the thing open.

Finally, there are very few Settings options for it -- I rather DESPISE the stupid "clock" display with the minutes above the hour. But that's the only option you get. Also, note that the case kills any sense of an Always On Display, if that's important to you. Close the case, and you get a few seconds of the display, just like you did with previous S-View covers.

So, I definitely want a "flip cover" that I can see a clock, phone calls, and so on through, but this thing is definitely second-rate compared to Samsung's previous S-View Cover cases.