S8 not designed to have a screen protector

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
First of all it won't work if you use the gear VR, definitely will distort the image. Second, it's very hard to get a case and screen protector to work. Might have to just use it without a screen protector, oh well. A case is definitely needed for better grip otherwise it'll be difficult to hold with the thin bezels. Just a heads up for everyone.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
First of all it won't work if you use the gear VR, definitely will distort the image. Second, it's very hard to get a case and screen protector to work. Might have to just use it without a screen protector, oh well. A case is definitely needed for better grip otherwise it'll be difficult to hold with the thin bezels. Just a heads up for everyone.

So far I'm agreeing with you, but very disappointed that I can't put a tempered glass on it. I hated the plastic rubbery ones, but I'm not loving the idea of going without anything.

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site

I have the zagg glass for s8+ and spigen neo hybrid.

If I bordered off the perimeter of the protector (so you couldnt see adhesive) u wouldn't be able to tell it existed by function for sure.

I've done 2 pluses now with no complaints. I'm feeling like it's an application issue for people.
I can even put a piece of paper over the screen and operate it with my wrist planted and phone setting next to my hand by just the wiggle of my finger (on any area) or even turning my hand over and using the smooth part of my fingernail.

Maybe I was lucky? I doubt there's that much inconsistency in manufacturing.

Strange hysteria over this.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the zagg glass for s8+ and spigen neo hybrid.

If I bordered off the perimeter of the protector (so you couldnt see adhesive) u wouldn't be able to tell it existed by function for sure.

I've done 2 pluses now with no complaints. I'm feeling like it's an application issue for people.
I can even put a piece of paper over the screen and operate it with my wrist planted and phone setting next to my hand by just the wiggle of my finger (on any area) or even turning my hand over and using the smooth part of my fingernail.

Maybe I was lucky? I doubt there's that much inconsistency in manufacturing.

Strange hysteria over this.

Glad to hear it's working out well for you. I'll probably stop by Best Buy or ATT and have a Zagg installed. Last night when picking up my phone Best Buy didn't have any which I found odd.

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Glad to hear it's working out well for you. I'll probably stop by Best Buy or ATT and have a Zagg installed. Last night when picking up my phone Best Buy didn't have any which I found odd.

Just to reiterate I think the rating of 0 or perfect 10 for function lies in the application.
I'd consider doing it yourself if you're coordinated and thought savvy.

I was lucky enough to get mine on Thursday from my local BB despite the associates saying they didn't have them in yet. God bless online specific store shopping :D

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Just to reiterate I think the rating of 0 or perfect 10 for function lies in the application.
I'd consider doing it yourself if you're coordinated and thought savvy.

I was lucky enough to get mine on Thursday from my local BB despite the associates saying they didn't have them in yet. God bless online specific store shopping :D

An very cool. I'm neither coordinated nor savvy when it comes to the things though lol.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. That was The One I was holding out hope for. Dang.

It doesn't adhere to the edges at all. Zagg does provide a foolproof method of applying the protector, but it still doesn't cover the screen well. I should've learned my lesson from the glass screen protectors from the S7 edge.

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't adhere to the edges at all. Zagg does provide a foolproof method of applying the protector, but it still doesn't cover the screen well. I should've learned my lesson from the glass screen protectors from the S7 edge.

This Link has a decent amount of success for them.

Just saying it's not all bad. Hit or miss and bad seems to be installation maybe. My edges are locked down good, but the bottom does come shy of my case maybe 1/16". Edges are a perfect meet. Top is mostly cut out for speakers and cam (which I wish was a full design).

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

So what will you use? I'm particularly concerned due to having young children.

hydrofarmer

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully people will report back on screen protectors and the VR. Secondly I'd rather have a screen protector than not. There is a thread somewhere on here people are talking about this issue.

Not sure if you're aware of "case friendly" but if not hope below helps...

You need to search for "case friendly screen protector on Amazon or eBay.
They leave clearance the edges for cases.

Armorsuit - Galaxy S8+ Screen Protector [Case Friendly] MilitaryShield For Samsung Galaxy S8+ Lifetime Replacement Anti-Bubble HD Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXWPJY...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5777369

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
The Zagg curved glass screen protector is worthless and a waste of $50. I'll be returning mine today.

100% correct and the Otterbox Alpha is the same. Only has adhesive in the top, bottom and thin sides.

I'm going to try the Zagg Sapphire defense when it becomes available. I had it for the iPhone 7 Plus and was not thrilled but it may be a good option the S8/S8+as it has adhesive on the actual display area.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
100% correct and the Otterbox Alpha is the same. Only has adhesive in the top, bottom and thin sides.

I'm going to try the Zagg Sapphire defense when it becomes available. I had it for the iPhone 7 Plus and was not thrilled but it may be a good option the S8/S8+as it has adhesive on the actual display area.

I got an $8 Yootech screen protector from Amazon that will be delivered today. It's not glass, but it's got great reviews and it was amazing on my S7 edge last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs