Customizing Contact Ringtones/Notifications on the new S8

A

AC Question

I've figured out how to do ringtones through Zedge but cannot figure how to assign my home made (ringdroid) ringtone to a contact.
I also cannot figure out how to give my contacts a specific text message notification...

Neither of these seem to be controlled by a link within the contact itself.

Can anyone please help? !

hparsons

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've figured out how to do ringtones through Zedge but cannot figure how to assign my home made (ringdroid) ringtone to a contact.
I also cannot figure out how to give my contacts a specific text message notification...

Neither of these seem to be controlled by a link within the contact itself.

Can anyone please help? !

Open the Contacts app. Find the contact you wish to modify. Click the small circled "i Details" button.
At the top of the next screen, click the Edit button.
In the edit screen, scroll down near the bottom, right above the SCAN BUSINESS CARD button, and click on the View More option. Scroll down, and you will see the Ringtone field. Edit that, and you're good.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Seeing the convoluted process above (good explanation!), and my own frustrating experience with the Samsung contact app in the first day of using it, I wonder what would happen if I downloaded the Google Contacts app from GPS (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.google.android.contacts&token=DC9Ul1yb).

This was the contacts app on 6p and seemed easier to use than the Samsung version. I'm afraid of borking things up though, especially since it integrates with other apps (dialer, sms, etc.). Anyone else reading this thread replace the built-in Samsung app with the google verion or any other yet?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Seeing the convoluted process above (good explanation!), and my own frustrating experience with the Samsung contact app in the first day of using it, I wonder what would happen if I downloaded the Google Contacts app from GPS (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.google.android.contacts&token=2Vm9_a7q).

This was the contacts app on 6p and seemed easier to use than the Samsung version. I'm afraid of borking things up though, especially since it integrates with other apps (dialer, sms, etc.). Anyone else reading this thread replace the built-in Samsung app with the google verion or any other yet?

I doubt it's even compatible with the S8 or S8+.

dicham

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
Open the Contacts app. Find the contact you wish to modify. Click the small circled "i Details" button.
At the top of the next screen, click the Edit button.
In the edit screen, scroll down near the bottom, right above the SCAN BUSINESS CARD button, and click on the View More option. Scroll down, and you will see the Ringtone field. Edit that, and you're good.

dicham

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
I have done the above suggestions, yet when someone sends me a text the assigned notification sound doesn't happen....always the default one. ☹

jweishaar

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I have done the above suggestions, yet when someone sends me a text the assigned notification sound doesn't happen....always the default one. ☹

Same. I change a contact to have a custom notification sound but it always plays the default sound on texts. However if I go into the contact to edit the sound, it says it is the selected sound chosen.

Something isn't working on these S8s.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
When I go into contacts>edit I only see option for ringtone for chosen contact. Don't see a setting for notifications, such as sms/mms.
I use Samsung contacts. Maybe that's only available in 3rd party messaging apps like Textra etc.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
When you go down to the part about the ringtone it should say message tone right under it where you can change the sms tone, but I believe it that only works if you're using the Samsung messaging app. If not using the Samsung app, third party apps have their own settings within their app for changing the notifications.
e172756996b69a98ea56caffe5a913e4.jpg

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
When you go down to the part about the ringtone it should say message tone right under it where you can change the sms tone, but I believe it that only works if you're using the Samsung messaging app. If not using the Samsung app, third party apps have their own settings within their app for changing the notifications. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171123/e172756996b69a98ea56caffe5a913e4.jpg

Using Samsung Messages, Contacts and Phone apps on a US unlocked with Straight Talk Verizon SIM.
No message tone choice underneath ringtone.
No big deal for me, but I can see where it would be an annoyance for anyone wanting that option and unable to make it work.
Wonder if it's carrier related.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171123-110342.jpg
    Screenshot_20171123-110342.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 54

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
That's sucky if it is carrier related. What's the point of omitting that feature? They won't lose any money from people wanting to change their notification tone. That's crazy.

pittster

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
It's so much of that it's crazy. Use to be if you had an unlocked version you would get all features plus some. But not with Samsung

207jeff

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Has anyone figured out the contact text tone issue? Just got my s8 and contact ringtones works 100% contact text tone 0% it always uses default

CarolBuck85

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
So according to what I'm reading After the Oreo update being able to assign separate notification tones disappeared? I've been trying to figure out why I couldn't find it. Did they do away with that feature? I'm so mad right now wish I didn't update to Oreo. That's why I loved S8 because I could assign separate notification tones to everyone. Is there any way to get it back? A way to uninstall the Oreo update?

dat2

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site
Hope they fix this oreo update it makes me mad that I can not assign separate notifications
They are not going to fix it. They have been contacted many times already, people are furious over this change and they don't care. Their response was rude and they have no intention of changing it back. I hope they have a significant reduction in revenue over this poor operating system they have forced on everyone.