Galaxy S8/S8+ unlocked right off the bat?

A

AC Question

I received my S8+ a couple of days ago and couldn't help but notice the model number of my phone: SM-G955U. While I can't find concrete evidence that the phone is carrier unlocked, I do know that Samsung's previous track record usually reserved the "U" ending for carrier unlocked phones while the four main US carriers had their own respective letters following, instead of the U. My wife's S8 is the same way. Can anyone provide an explanation??

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I received my S8+ a couple of days ago and couldn't help but notice the model number of my phone: SM-G955U. While I can't find concrete evidence that the phone is carrier unlocked, I do know that Samsung's previous track record usually reserved the "U" ending for carrier unlocked phones while the four main US carriers had their own respective letters following, instead of the U. My wife's S8 is the same way. Can anyone provide an explanation??

All US models of S8+ have a U at the end, denoting that it's a US model. I believe the unlocked ones are 955F.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's s8 is factory sim unlocked. But other carriers are locked out of the box, though can be unlocked later.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They all are U but still identified with different model numbers.

For example T-Mobile is G955UZVATMB (see TMB at the end). I'm sure different carriers have different identifies at the end. On the phone it just says SM-G955U but if you go to your Samsung registered products you will see the full model number.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams