How's your standby drain?

palanilopez12

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting great SOT and stand by time. Fully charged and ran the battery down to about 89% before I went to sleep. 9 hours later woke up and it was at 85%. Been using the phone for most of the day and you can see the results so far and I'm only at 64%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170423-130550.jpg
    Screenshot_20170423-130550.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 50

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
My battery life is absolutely great. Look at this. Auto brightness. Sync and notifications on for everything. 4glte use and WiFi. All on screen time was online time. YouTube and browsing which makes it more impressive.
301a2d6ba268f3c8774e2e2fa6324ef8.jpg

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Does placing the phone in Airplane mode when not using help? I'm anxiously waiting the arrival of my S8+ to arrive today, but with my Note4 that did help with battery drain. My job is located in an area with horrible service, that's the only way my phone lasted throughout the day.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I went to bed at 11pm last night with 53%, woke up at 7am with 45%. I use AOD, so it went down 1% per hour as advertised. I do have Wifi set to shut off when the phone is locked and asleep, so that helps too. I have location services always on too. One thing I found that I did different than any Android phone I have had before is I did not restore this phone from another device. I set it up as new and I am glad I did. This is the best battery life I have had with an Samsung device. I regularly get 35-40 hours on a charge with 4-5 hours SOT, and I am a heavy user at times.

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Does placing the phone in Airplane mode when not using help? I'm anxiously waiting the arrival of my S8+ to arrive today, but with my Note4 that did help with battery drain. My job is located in an area with horrible service, that's the only way my phone lasted throughout the day.
I didn't put mine in airplane mode. Not necessary with this phone. It's a beast battery wise

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I went to bed at 11pm last night with 53%, woke up at 7am with 45%. I use AOD, so it went down 1% per hour as advertised. I do have Wifi set to shut off when the phone is locked and asleep, so that helps too. I have location services always on too. One thing I found that I did different than any Android phone I have had before is I did not restore this phone from another device. I set it up as new and I am glad I did. This is the best battery life I have had with an Samsung device. I regularly get 35-40 hours on a charge with 4-5 hours SOT, and I am a heavy user at times.
I restored mine and I'm getting 9 hrs OST. But I will say that I had my last s7 edge warranty replacement tweaked perfect or something because it waa a beast battery wise. Better then the previous one I had. Wtf better. Idk if it was Feb software update or what but it was my 3rd s7 edge and it was so dam good battery wise I was almost afraid to upgrade. Never had life like that. Until now that is. This beats it

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
There's a reason you see old people flocking to iPhones. They are dummed down, and more simple for them to use. That combination is by default going to make the battery last longer. Android is like a big pickup truck with lots of aftermarket performance options. Stop complaining you don't get the gas mileage of a Kia....
Well, I'm an old person and I upgrade my Galaxy phones every year. And I drive a truck that gets really crappy mileage and I try not to complain too much about it. I have Apple everything EXCEPT phones. I feel like those engineers are hovering above me slapping my hand every time I would want to customize something. Now, my husband drives a truck, too, but has an an Apple phone and I'm always helping with it and comparing what mine does compared to his. Apple products are gorgeous, but I just can't hang with the phones and IOS in general.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
This is a Samsung not android problem, and some of it can be attributed to things like AoD. One thing that is likely true is that you can expect the OS to keep putting programs to sleep over the next week or two which will improve battery life. Still not sure you will get to iPhone like numbers without root and some under the hood tuning.

Karong

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I've actually been pretty surprised by standby time. Went to sleep last night with the phone​ at 100% and woke up with 99%. Wifi on and AOD off. It's about on par with my iPhone. For comparison my S7 would be at 90% if I left the unplugged overnight.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
7f896b2ba709e6654f0348137b795fc6.jpg
over 30 hrs on battery. Screen on time is 3.5hrs. Have to say, I'm impressed. I charged my phone a few hours before I left in my trip. I still have not charged my phone while at hotel. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Just because your screen is off, and the phone doesn't appear to be doing anything, doesn't mean it isn't.

I have a Huawei Mate 9 with the same apps as my S8 + and my Mate 9 barely loses any power in standby. I was sitting in meetings all day today barely using my S8+ and I was watching it drop while sitting on the table idle on Wifi. I'm sure that the always on display was participating, but it's still very noticeable and a little disappointing. My Nexus 6 P didn't have this issue and my Mate 9 doesn't move for hours. It's Samsung phones that I have only experienced this with. Battery life is still solid though overall. Having an always on display just makes you more aware of it. I prefer to leave it on though.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
This is a Samsung not android problem, and some of it can be attributed to things like AoD. One thing that is likely true is that you can expect the OS to keep putting programs to sleep over the next week or two which will improve battery life. Still not sure you will get to iPhone like numbers without root and some under the hood tuning.

I'd concur with this, I currently have a OP5 too and recently tried the LG G6. The G6 is iPhone esque for standby battery performance and the LG AOD is better than Samsungs too for battery.

I have package disabler pro'd my S8 to within an inch of it's life and it is still not as good as either the OP5 or G6