Verizon Galaxy S8 Face Recognition issues after update

chart145

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the face recognition to unlock my phone since getting it 2 days ago and it worked extremely well making it one of my favorite new features of my S8 plus. But ever since installing the update last night, face recognition has all but stopped working. Despite recapturing the face data multiple times and restarting the phone, I have only been able to get it to work a hand full of times. I am forced to put in pin almost all of the time now. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm about ready to go into the Verizon store and ask for a new phone.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the face recognition to unlock my phone since getting it 2 days ago and it worked extremely well making it one of my favorite new features of my S8 plus. But ever since installing the update last night, face recognition has all but stopped working. Despite recapturing the face data multiple times and restarting the phone, I have only been able to get it to work a hand full of times. I am forced to put in pin almost all of the time now. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm about ready to go into the Verizon store and ask for a new phone.

It's been less reliable for me too. Hang in there I'm sure there would be another update.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Use Iris detection. I find it nearly as fast plus it has the added benefit of solid security. I'm really impressed with Samsung's Iris detection implementation.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm on T-Mobile and guess what...I got some issues too after the update. It used to be quick and on point but since the update, it's been hit or miss. :(

SergeOp

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm in UK and after applying the update an hour ago or so I have faced the same problem. I'm not entirely sure if the following option was present before the update but if you turn on "Faster recognition" in Face Recognition menu then it will be a quick process again. It does state that this way it will less secure but could it be that Samsung decided to roll out this update after reports you can unlock using photo?

ArtVandelay

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one. Pretty stupid how after taking an update to "improve facial recognition", that it actually breaks it. I'm back to FPS for now.