IPhone switchers

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Curious how the iPhone switchers are enjoying their new Galaxy S8 or +? Has the switch been easy?
What are you using for texting?
Any issues switching with photos, music?

Thanks

John

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Curious how the iPhone switchers are enjoying their new Galaxy S8 or +? Has the switch been easy?

Thanks

John

I use Textra or go sms for texting. I also like Google photos which is cross platform.

uawildcat

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I love it. I'm just using the Verizon messages app. The batter seems to last longer than the iPhone 7 Plus. I used the smart switch app which made it a lot easier and didn't lose anything

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I switched from the iPhone 6 Plus to the s7 edge. And soon to the s8.

Personally apart from a couple of instances of adapting to using the new interface alls been good.

I use the stock Samsung SMS app.

Gmail was used to move my contacts over.
Dropbox did pretty much everything else.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've had all the other Galaxy's before my s8+ so not a switcher in the normal sense but had an iPhone 7 Plus before it and the only things I'm really missing are iMessage and the 7 plus dual cameras. I still think they're the best I've ever had on any phone to date.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The thing is to always use cross platform services like Google ones, Microsoft ones or many other cross platform solutions. Don't use crappy Apple only, Samsung only solutions for photos, music or any other stuff. Photos use Google photos there isn't even a competition here from anyone. Music this gets little tricky if you don't subscribe to online services like Spotify, Google play music or even Apple music which is available on both iOS/Android. If you have local music, services like Google play music let you uploaded around 50k tracks to the cloud I believe. There are probably better solutions here worst case you transfer your music from your old device and use the music player of your choice. Personally subscribed to Google play music which comes with YouTube red so pretty happy with it.

Messaging is the trickiest part because of the iMessage problem in the US. If your friends and family are using cross platform solutions like WhatsApp, messenger etc then you are good. But unfortunately most users get locked with iMessage because it's just there as default and easy. It's still alright you will be a green bubble instead of blue and they just got to deal with it 😉.

OS wise both Android and iOS are mature and you'll probably need a few days/weeks to get used to it but after that it becomes natural. Bottom line try to use services which are cross platform and don't get tied into platform lock-in like Apple or Samsung or even worse sometimes to useless carriers.​

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I've had all the other Galaxy's before my s8+ so not a switcher in the normal sense but had an iPhone 7 Plus before it and the only things I'm really missing are iMessage and the 7 plus dual cameras. I still think they're the best I've ever had on any phone to date.
This is me. I use both platforms but recently switched from an iPhone 7+ to the S8+. For me iMessage is the biggest obstacle. My entire family uses iPhones so I have to be careful during the transition. I usually turn iMessage off for a few days prior to making the switch.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
For iCloud Contacts & Calender use SmoothSync for Contacts and SmoothSync for Calender. Syncs to/from iCloud. I use Textra SMS but also have Yappy because Yappy has a desktop version and allows you to send/receive SMS & MMS on your computer as well as Android phone/tablets. You don't have to use it on your phone just set it up (or you might want to actually use it as your default messaging app. Very easy to switch back & forth between any messaging app).
The best SMS/MMS backup app on Android (for me) is SMSBackup+
It backs up to a Gmail folder including all attachments. Never could find an iOS app that compared.
I also use SwiftKey keyboard and its an ios app too.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Use Samsung's Smart Switch app. On the new phones, it's in Settings, Backup and Reset, Smart Switch at the top. *Bonus: the previously installed Smart Switch does need updating from time to time. When you start the Smart Switch within Settings, select are the 3 dots in top right, I think About, as you will see the prompt to update. It is by far the best Apple to Samsung transfer. It will do contacts, texts, calendar and a few more.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I switched my iPhone 7 Plus for the S8+ and it was seamless for me. All of my texts were saved because I had Verizon Messages downloaded on my iPhone. The transition has also been seamless because I used the S7 edge for many months before the 7 Plus.

lilmama88

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
It's okay. I'm still going back and forth between the two trying to decide if I'm going to keep it. I feel as if it's a little to narrow. Maybe I should have gone with the plus version. I'm using android messages and transferring my photos was super simple. Everything came over with ease. Not sure how the music transfers.

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I switched over from a IP7 plus... The design of the S8 plus drew my attention... the biggest obstacle for me is the text messages.. I still have a hard time receiving messages from my iPhone ppl..

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I switch back and forth and hold no religious fanaticism to phones. Android has more features but the OS fundamentally is unstable. I'm hoping 7.0 has fixed things from my note 5 days

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I switched over from a IP7 plus... The design of the S8 plus drew my attention... the biggest obstacle for me is the text messages.. I still have a hard time receiving messages from my iPhone ppl..

Did you make sure you turned off iMessage before you switched? If not their messages will still be trying to send as iMessage and not SMS and getting stuck in limbo

sazza85#AC

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I've tried the transition from apple to various Samsung's in the past. I just couldn't get on with the s7 for some reason. I've been using the iPhone plus since the day that it came out and upgrading each year. Other half is a massive apple fan too and we're quite heavily invested in the apple Eco system.

But for me personally, apple are now behind on the times quite substantially and it's time for a change. So with the announcement of the s8 plus I preordered.

The s8 plus is an amazing phone. Even the other half says it's a good phone and I think Samsung have nailed it this time around just by moving the home button.

For me the only issue I'm finding is the camera on the s8 seems to be giving off a blueish tinge. The one thing I do miss is having my phone on the side and being able to unlock it without having to pick it up using my finger print. But tbh the flaws arent that significant. Although I have spent the last few days using both phones wondering if I should actually switch over to having two phones. One personal and one for business as for the last God knows how long I've been using just one phonefor everything. But that's a decision I'll make in the next few days.

But for me the transition has been amazing this time around and the s8 had so much going for it.

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Did you make sure you turned off iMessage before you switched? If not their messages will still be trying to send as iMessage and not SMS and getting stuck in limbo
Yeah I did and I also deleted my number that was associated with my Apple ID.. for some reason I can't get messages from a group family chat that I was in.. but if they text me one on one then I do get those..

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if you're a Mac user or not, but you have to turn iMessage and FaceTime off on both Mac and iOS devices before switching you SIM. If you don't have your iPhone anymore you can use this site to de-register your number.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage?linkId=14271830

If you've already done all that it's a good idea to have all your iOS using contacts to delete all your old message threads on their devices and start over.

If you have an iPad or Mac desktop you can then turn iMessage back on and set your email as the contact preference to send from. Just have your iMessage friends add your email along with your phone number to their contacts list. That way you can still technically use iMessage from you iPad or Mac without having your phone number attached to it.

Edit: Sorry didn't see your last post. Yeah, group chats are a pain to get working right for some reason. I've always had problems with those.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Thanks

John

I switched from an iPhone 6s Plus and ah ain't a goin' back! I had no problems with texts. All you have to do is deregister with iMessage and you are cooking with butter.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

My switch was painless since I wasn't really using iCloud all that much. My photos backed up to OneDrive and I never really jumped into the Apple ecosystem beyond iTunes. Which reminds me. With a 256GB microSD card, I can copy my ENTIRE music library to my phone...which I did. I will still use my iPod touch in the car though. I just plug it into the USB port inside the center counsel and bring it in to sync every once in a while. Everything else will be through my phone via BT.

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you're a Mac user or not, but you have to turn iMessage and FaceTime off on both Mac and iOS devices before switching you SIM. If you don't have your iPhone anymore you can use this site to de-register your number.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage?linkId=14271830

If you've already done all that it's a good idea to have all your iOS using contacts to delete all your old message threads on their devices and start over.

If you have an iPad or Mac desktop you can then turn iMessage back on and set your email as the contact preference to send from. Just have your iMessage friends add your email along with your phone number to their contacts list. That way you can still technically use iMessage from you iPad or Mac without having your phone number attached to it.

Edit: Sorry didn't see your last post. Yeah, group chats are a pain to get working right for some reason. I've always had problems with those.
Thanks for the info.. I don't think I've done that in my iPad... Will have to try that..

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon