Disappointed with the S8 camera

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The camera was the deciding factor, nail in the coffin, last straw (insert metaphor here)....

i don't think there is any way to say this WITHOUT it sounding bad, so here goes... the ONLY thing that "blew my mind" about the S8 Plus was its price, which is WHY i returned it.

Camera was good but NOT great, battery life was good but not GREAT, new O/S was good but not great, speaker quality was good but not GREAT, ...you get the point....

Sadly, I was very disappointed, for almost 900 bucks i expected so much more, and for the 72 hours i owned it every time i picked it up to do ANYTHING, i just couldn't help but feel its, "pinch to my pocketbook"... ouch!

I am certain i will enjoy ALL of its features THAT MUCH MORE when i can pick one up for about half its current price.

Its weird how much an "up front" cost can affect your overall view of something. If i were on "Jump On Demand and just "switched to this phone" without feeling ANY additional out of pocket costs, i'm sure i'd of been like, "sweeeeet"! But since that was not the case, there is no way i could have forgiven such an expensive device delivering almost the same experience a 400 - 500 dollar phone can....

And its NOT solely about "saving the Benjamins" either, becuz i just installed a $2000.00 power step in my truck when an N-Fab would have totally done the trick for a third of the price, but i TOTALLY feel the value of the power step EVERY TIME i open my truck door... The S8+, not so much...i don't see where they come off charging that much for their phone. Their expenses shouldn't be the consumer's problem, and in this case i feel it is....

Had they charged $499 for S8 and $599 for S8 Plus, they would've wreaked havoc in the cell phone industry, AND i think they could have easily made same profit by selling millions upon millions more, but at the price point they have chosen, i just don't see the S8 & S8+ deserving of a Hail Mary pass....

BTC

They can charge as much as consumers are willing to pay, bottom line.

But look, there is no way ANY phone is going to please everyone. Most folks are very happy. The ones that aren't, find a phone that works for you.

Weren't you the one that hated the Note 7, and said that it was going to bring Samsung's mobile division down? Why in the world would you get another Samsung phone that's so similar?

Last edited:

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I compared some pics to S7 and the S8 was better but then if I take random shots with various lighting conditions I'm not that impressed

zyad

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what to make of this thread... I've seen a bunch of YouTube reviews of the camera from a bunch of reviewers (some being iPhone fan reviewers, some who have previously constantly praised the Pixel, and some general tech reviewers), and in all of them, the reviews where a toss up where some of the three phones were marginally (very marginally) better than the other depending on the type of shot. Overall the reviews didn't agree on which is better between the S8, Pixel and 7 Plus.
One thing that was consistent however was that the S8 had better low light performance than the other two, and you could see that this was due to the S8's processing increasing brightness in very dark scenes.
In the one review that actually went depth into the Pro mode, the S8 did much better than the others due to all the customization options that were missing in some of the other phones, plus the fact that saving the raw file got very true photos that bypassed Samsung's typically oversaturated colours in the processed images.
I would chalk up the difference of opinion in this thread to different user experiences based on use or maybe human error (focusing point etc...).
At the end of the day, I think that anyone can get a really good photo from any one of the three phones, depending on the instant the photo was taken. The differences in photos between these flagships have been narrowed so much that it becomes a moot point.
None of then are DSLR quality obviously, and I think too much weight is being given to those hugely zoomed crops looking at a tree leaf 150 feet away and critiquing how blurry it is or isn't.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
For a camera on a phone, it's pretty darn good. I use my Sony A6000 if I want great pictures but in a pinch, this will do.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
...Weren't you the one that hated the Note 7, and said that it was going to bring Samsung's mobile division down? Why in the world would you get another Samsung phone that's so similar?

Hi ThrottleJohnny!

My "like/dislike relationship with Sammy is complicated, but i don't think i've EVER uttered the word "hate" in connection with a Samsung device.... that word just isn't in my vocabulary.

I am not certain if you are quoting a prediction i made, but i do recall stating Samsung Experience counters would be closing and many have, not happy about that, but i easily could see it. To me, their devices circa 2014 and before are what made them become such a force to be reckoned with in the mobile industry, and then suddenly i saw them changing in a HUGE way. I just didn't think the world needed another Apple like company, ESPECIALLY when Google was already vying for 2nd place.

To me, the path they took when they tried to top their success of the S3 is to blame. I'm not a fan of "plastic-y white phones, but surely they could design a phone as feature rich as the S3, beautiful metal form & sound quality of the HTC One, and price of the One Plus... If ANYONE could, they could....They just didn't try hard enough....

BTC

Last edited:

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I'm just not a professional photographer, but I think this phone takes really good pictures. Way better than my v20.
67e6f0823b8f521a410a47ab52824ddf.jpg
3b29ba23b1b004bd4f4ecede7805c437.jpg

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My "like/dislike relationship with Sammy is complicated, but i don't think i've EVER uttered the word "hate" in connection with a Samsung device.... that word just isn't in my vocabulary.

I am not certain if you are quoting a prediction i made, but i do recall stating Samsung Experience counters would be closing and many have, not happy about that, but i easily could see it. To me, their devices circa 2014 and before are what made them become such a force to be reckoned with in the mobile industry, and then suddenly i saw them changing in a HUGE way. I just didn't think the world needed another Apple like company, ESPECIALLY when Google was already vying for 2nd place.

To me, the path they took when they tried to top their success of the S3 is to blame. I'm not a fan of "plastic-y white phones, but surely they could design a phone as feature rich as the S3, beautiful metal form & sound quality of the HTC One, and price of the One Plus... If ANYONE could, they could....They just didn't try hard enough....

BTC

Thanks for explaining. I better understand where you're coming from now.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, I was thinking the comments here on the camera sound a little more negative than the reviews I've seen so far from the YouTubers but after thinking about it, it's pretty close to what I've seen in videos.

Most of the YouTubers are comparing the S8 cameras to the current best-of-the-best, the iPhone 7 Plus and Pixel cameras, and in all the videos none of the cameras were clear runaways from the rest... they pretty much go between 1-2-3 between them with each having strengths. They rank the S8 a top three camera... closer to top 1-2 IMO :)

I guess the posts here the posts put it more between 2-3. :-\

It is a bit disheartening I guess cause for $800-900, you'd expect a 2017 flagship to clearly beat 2016 spec camera especially when you know both models have yet to refresh and probably will up their camera game too this year.

But it shouldn't be a huge surprise either. It been said often it's pretty much a 2016 spec camera... "2016 1/2" camera with the slightly newer sensor and sw update... and have to remember it wasnt suppose to be that camera. The dual camera that was suppose to go in but didnt because of the FPS. :confused:

It sounds like a top 3 camera. It is what it is.

Reviewers love the LG G6 and love the dual camera but none hinted it was a top 3 camera... or 4... or maybe 5 which was disheartening to me cause I really like the phone but camera quality ranks pretty high for me. :-[

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey BTC, I pretty much understand your view on it and I pretty much agree for a $900 phone... Just wondering what phone you are falling back on in the meantime and what you're going to wait for coming up.

The camera was the deciding factor, nail in the coffin, last straw (insert metaphor here)....

i don't think there is any way to say this WITHOUT it sounding bad, so here goes... the ONLY thing that "blew my mind" about the S8 Plus was its price, which is WHY i returned it.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The camera is good, but not mind blowing. It uses the same sensors as the S7, which had a very good camera. Sammy focuses on ultra fast and clear pictures. If you want better color, you should use the manual mode settings.
No this isn't the same sensor as the s7, it's already been proven it's an updated sensor.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Most of the YouTubers are comparing the S8 cameras to the current best-of-the-best, the iPhone 7 Plus and Pixel cameras, and in all the videos none of the cameras were clear runaways from the rest... they pretty much go between 1-2-3 between them with each having strengths. They rank the S8 a top three camera... closer to top 1-2 IMO :)

I guess the posts here the posts put it more between 2-3. :-\

It is a bit disheartening I guess cause for $800-900, you'd expect a 2017 flagship to clearly beat 2016 spec camera especially when you know both models have yet to refresh and probably will up their camera game too this year.

I wouldn't be so disheartened. I've never used a Pixel, so I can't compare, My wife has an iphone 7 which I've used a fair amount and I can definitely say the results on my S8 are generally better than the results on her iphone 7.

Something else to consider when comparing the Pixel or iphone (2016 tech) to the new S8 is that those cameras have been out and have had a software updates that have improved camera quality. For example, when the Pixel first came out, its camera had some issues with things like color and lens flare that have been fixed with software updates.

My initial impression of the S8 is that there may be some software improvements they can make in image processing, like in the new multi-frame processing in the S8. Samsung (like others) tends to not have things all finalized at launch that are tweaked after an update or two.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't be so disheartened. I've never used a Pixel, so I can't compare, My wife has an iphone 7 which I've used a fair amount and I can definitely say the results on my S8 are generally better than the results on her iphone 7.

Something else to consider when comparing the Pixel or iphone (2016 tech) to the new S8 is that those cameras have been out and have had a software updates that have improved camera quality. For example, when the Pixel first came out, its camera had some issues with things like color and lens flare that have been fixed with software updates.

My initial impression of the S8 is that there may be some software improvements they can make in image processing, like in the new multi-frame processing in the S8. Samsung (like others) tends to not have things all finalized at launch that are tweaked after an update or two.

That's encouraging thanks!

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I've not had a chance to play with the camera a lot, by my initial impression is the S8 might be more sensitive to subject motion or camera shake than the S7 in indoor shots. I noticed that in taking some pictures of my daughter in pictures where she was standing still generally came out better than pictures from my S7. Pictures where she was moving seemed a bit less consistent.
You can download Spirt Mode, which will give you the option of a faster shutter speed for an object that's not standing still. Sometimes good for windy conditions too.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey BTC, I pretty much understand your view on it and I pretty much agree for a $900 phone... Just wondering what phone you are falling back on in the meantime and what you're going to wait for coming up.

Hey Don!

Funny you should ask : ) my "still pristine" S6Edge Plus.... With its 4GB Ram and other cutting edge features is still doing right by me, hands down making it my most favorite-est Sammy phone to date, wait, make that my most favorite-est phone EVER : ) Call me crazy, but i prefer a 16 MP camera on a phone and S6E+ can still provide a fantastic camera phone experience.

BUT, since i decided to let the S8+ go back, kinda had that "i want a new phone" feeling & i was in Best Buy and happened to spot a real deal on an UNLOCKED ZTE Axon 7 Mini .... its speakers are "out of this world" (2daks - whatever that means : ) and with T-Mobile's Digits out of Beta now, am able to have my ONE telephone # on it (whenever its on a wifi connection which is approx 100% of the time : ) and with its almost deafening distortion-free sound, super sleek all metal body, amazing oleophobic coating, good camera, 1080p screen, running nougat all for $179.00 (sale price from $299.00) so it has become an amazing companion for S6E+.

Its funny, becuz every single time i pick up the little guy to use it, the feel in hand, super sharp smudge free screen LOUD response it provides, i'm like, "just $179.00 for YOU?! Unbelievable! Talk about value" : )

Axon 7 mini on stand.jpg

BTC

Last edited:

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey Don!

Funny you should ask : ) my "still pristine" S6Edge Plus.... With its 4GB Ram and other cutting edge features is still doing right by me, hands down making it my most favorite-est Sammy phone to date, wait, make that my most favorite-est phone EVER : ) Call me crazy, but i prefer a 16 MP camera on a phone and S6E+ can still provide a fantastic camera phone experience.

BUT, since i decided to let the S8+ go back, kinda had that "i want a new phone" feeling & i was in Best Buy and happened to spot a real deal on an UNLOCKED ZTE Axon 7 Mini .... its speakers are "out of this world" (2daks - whatever that means : ) and with T-Mobile's Digits out of Beta now, am able to have my ONE telephone # on it (whenever its on a wifi connection which is approx 100% of the time : ) and with its almost deafening distortion-free sound, super sleek all metal body, amazing oleophobic coating, good camera, 1080p screen, running nougat all for $179.00 (sale price from $299.00) so it has become an amazing companion for S6E+.

Its funny, becuz every single time i pick up the little guy to use it, the feel in hand, super sharp smudge free screen LOUD response it provides, i'm like, "just $179.00 for YOU?! Unbelievable! Talk about value" : )

View attachment 258082

BTC

Yeah axon 7 and mini are great devices at great price
I sold my s7 edge for Axon 7 limited edition 128gb with 6gb ram
The phone is soo awesome... Love the speakers built quality and so on
When using phone on speaker phone I can hear Crystal clear... It would be difficult to switch back to normal phone with no stereo speakers
I have just ordered G6 which will be my 2nd phone as of now

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Now, not having one to take some test pics myself, I'll just comment in general. The way I see it... when you look at the top phone cameras, they have sort of passed a threshold where the skill of the operator is far more important than the capabilities of the camera itself. Light, exposure, focus point and subject matter. You can have a $30K Hasselblad in your hands and if you don't pay attention on those, you can still take pics that come out like dogpoo.

One thing that most sticks out from what I've seen with the S8 pics I've seen is that Samsung dialed back the processing, thank god. My wife has (well, had, its getting traded in) a S7 Edge and that thing absolutely bludgeons color and fine detail in even slightly less than optimal lighting. S7 pics look great on the phone or stuffed in a little social post, but things look artificial when full screened or printed. If Sammy fixed that... yip to the ee...

I still went with another phone in the end (G6) but better anything is always good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37