Secure folder questions

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So using the secure folder for the first time and I added few apps like LastPass etc. But it looks like it's a new copy of the app and there is another copy of LastPass outside of the existing secure folder. I uninstalled the one which was outside of secure folder and now only see one LastPass. But when I go to play store it doesn't think LastPass is installed and gives option to install.

My question is how does apps that get added to secure folder get updates? Looks little confusing and weird.

Eldruin

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
You'll likely need to access the play store from inside the secure folder.

So try going into Secure folder, tap on Add Apps, then tap "DOWNLOAD FROM PLAY STORE". If it's your first time doing it, you'll have to add a Google account just like you normally do when you first open the play store. Or something like that. You should then see when you go to my apps and games that only the apps from the secure folder should be there. (Plus a few Google and Samsung ones for some reason)

I do not know yet if Secure Folder will allow for auto updates or not.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
When you update the app(s) outside of secure folder it will automatically update the app(s) inside secure folder.

Eldruin

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
When you update the app(s) outside of secure folder it will automatically update the app(s) inside secure folder.

This should work for apps that you haven't removed and made only available in Secure Folder. If the app is only available in secure folder (because you deleted it from the non-secure environment), you'll want to do what I said above :)

Eldruin

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
This may be true, but secure folder is designed for having two seperate apps.

Interesting. If that's the case I wonder why you can download apps from the Play Store from inside the secure folder and only 1 instance of the app on the phone, with that instance being inside the folder.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. If that's the case I wonder why you can download apps from the Play Store from inside the secure folder and only 1 instance of the app on the phone, with that instance being inside the folder.
Actually, it can be used for both cases. So, thank you for the tip!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think downloading directly the app from play store inside the secure folder should update the app. I have couple of apps I set up like that. Will know what happens when updates get pushed to that app.

Eldruin

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Actually, it can be used for both cases. So, thank you for the tip!

No problem! You actually had me worried that I was going to glitch things out or cause some problems but I think it should work out alright.

Yeah I think downloading directly the app from play store inside the secure folder should update the app. I have couple of apps I set up like that. Will know what happens when updates get pushed to that app.

Please do let us know how that goes. I haven't had any of my apps need updates yet, I'm just assuming that's how it will work because it's the only place I could see where they might update from.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No problem! You actually had me worried that I was going to glitch things out or cause some problems but I think it should work out alright.

Please do let us know how that goes. I haven't had any of my apps need updates yet, I'm just assuming that's how it will work because it's the only place I could see where they might update from.
I had Google keep only in secure folder and got an update today, before updating it asks to unlock the secure folder and then done.

So just having the app in the secure folder works fine with app updates.