Smart Lock - didn't work on my S7 Edge, and doesn't work on the S8

YMarkY

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
What's the trick to getting this feature to work? I've put in Trusted Places (home), I've put in Trusted Devices (bluetooth truck sync), and nothing works with this phone (or the S7).

Is it me, or does this "feature" need work?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's always worked perfectly for me (location can be tricky if you have no location reported on your WiFi network or your GPS signal is spotty, or if you don't have high-accuracy selected on your location settings) but BT and now even trusted voice work OK.

Have you checked to see if you have any Device Administrators that might be blocking Smart Lock? For instance, some corporate Exchange accounts enforce a secure lockscreen to have your company e-mail there, so Smart Lock is automatically disabled.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you using location? Mine has worked without a hitch on BT devices since I got it (and with every other phone I've used it with so far). The only one that gave me 'issues' was location but because I had forgotten to connect to WiFi and GPS was spotty inside or something. Also remember that for location smart lock to work you need to unlock your device in said location at least once and if the device is not used for I believe 4 or 6 hours (can't remember exactly) or leave the location Smart Lock will be re-locked and will need you to manually unlock the device for it to be re-enabled.

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
A lot of my Google features stopped working. I think Samsung software kills them. Even the Google now weather widget doesn't display properly, but shows fine on my other devices.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Location never worked for me but I just synced my moto 360 yesterday and it stayed unlocked all day. It will lock after 4 or 5 hours of nonuse though.

gpatrick15

Mar 27, 2009
Visit site
Let me ask you this: are you using any kind of special software from your employer? I use the mobile iron client for my job, and part of the security restricts smart Lock and a few other features. I think it has more to do with Knox, because I had no problems being blocked from certain things on my V20.

batman13

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
You have to set up the security lock first... Password, finger print, face recognition, iris...etc. That's the only way the location feature will work.

rbryson74

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
I was having trouble as well. But then I noticed that it doesn't work if you have done a "Hard Lock" with the power button. If the device is left to lock itself due to inactivity it should open from smart lock. If it has been hard locked it will need to be unlocked fully again.

YMarkY

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
After reading rbryson74's post above, I think I found my issue, and it has to do with HOW I was waking my phone up. I typically wake up my phone by pressing the power button. This kicks in the hard lock on the phone. If I wake my phone up by pressing on the "home" button, the Smart Lock feature seems to be working. I'll test this again when I get home (location).

Chris Casner

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
- didn't work on my S7 Edge, and doesn't work on the S8

I was having trouble as well. But then I noticed that it doesn't work if you have done a "Hard Lock" with the power button. If the device is left to lock itself due to inactivity it should open from smart lock. If it has been hard locked it will need to be unlocked fully again.

jeffchapmanjc

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Smart Lock will not work if you add an Exchange account to your phone. This is very short-sighted for Samsung - or is it Google? Meanwhile, I can use my iPhone 6S hands free without any problems using the same Exchange server configurations. This is a deal-breaker for me. I'm returning the S8 and going back to the iPhone.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I setup a code, and then did the finger print reader.
My phone has to have the code put in if you turn it off.
And when it locks after 5 minutes. You can use your finger to unlock it.
Works like a charm for me.

dskreet1200

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Smart Lock will not work if you add an Exchange account to your phone. This is very short-sighted for Samsung - or is it Google? Meanwhile, I can use my iPhone 6S hands free without any problems using the same Exchange server configurations. This is a deal-breaker for me. I'm returning the S8 and going back to the iPhone.
I'm using exchange for work. My smart lock works

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay