Anyone having lag or stutter issues?

soli2005

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I just received my S8 on at&t Friday and noticed there is a stutter whenever I press the home key if I'm either leaving the stock Internet app or gallery. I did open up developer options and reduced the animation scale from 1x to .5x on all categories.

In addition whenever I connect to WiFi, I get a lag whenever I try an open up any app. Today, I had snapchat freeze and I got a message saying "unfortunately snapchat has stopped." This has never happened on my Note 5.

I noticed this is more apparent if I use WQHD+ and it's slightly less likely to stutter whenever I am on FHD. I've even tried a soft reset but it still occurs. I'm thinking of doing a hard reset but it's just disappointing this is a new device and I wasn't expecting this. My Note 5 runs buttery smooth compared to my S8.

Last edited:

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I just received my S8 on at&t Friday and noticed there is a stutter whenever I press the home key if I'm either leaving the stock Internet app or gallery. I did open up developer options and reduced the animation scale from 1x to .05x on all categories.

In addition whenever I connect to WiFi, I get a lag whenever I try an open up any app. Today, I had snapchat freeze and I got a message saying "unfortunately snapchat has stopped." This has never happened on my Note 5.

I noticed this is more apparent if I use WQHD+ and it's slightly less likely to stutter whenever I am on FHD. I've even tried a soft reset but it still occurs. I'm thinking of doing a hard reset but it's just disappointing this is a new device and I wasn't expecting this. My Note 5 runs buttery smooth compared to my S8.

You need to change the display app size to 18:5:9 on these devices whenever something like that happens

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
First thing I'd try is putting animations back to 1x and see if it feels good again.
If so maybe try .5x instead of .05x? That's a massive jump.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
No lag/stutter at all for me. And, I'm SUPER sensitive to it - gave up my S7edge and my S6edge for that exact reason. First Samsung in 3 years that finally nailed it!

I have display quality in the default (middle) setting which I'm sure is much easier on the device.

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
no lag or stutter after the first day or so. You gotta give it a couple days to settle down after setting up because there's usually a lot of stuff going on in the background to begin with.

I forced myself to spend a fair few hrs on the first night to go through every single setting and app to make sure it was all setup and configured. After getting through all that and waiting for stuff to download (eg. music), it felt significantly cooler and everything was smooth as butter.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I have not noticed any lag or stuttering. However, it's only been 4 days. My S7 edge was the same way. Then, after almost a month I started having lag/stutter issues. Keeping my fingers crossed with the new chipset and all.

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Lag is here. Came a few days after owning. If you've never used a device like a Pixel or HTC 10 you're not likely to notice it because the S8 is noticeably faster than all other Android devices besides those. Coming from a Pixel (and still having one to compare side by side) it's a night and day difference in favor of the Pixel. Didn't start though until about third day. I've tried all display settings, performance options and dev settings and it's just typical Samsung with not having the best software optimization.

With Samsung you also have to factor in how much you customize your device. Samsung doesn't handle launchers or default app replacements well in most cases long term. People using stock Samsung Experience launcher are likely to have a better experience than someone using Nova for example (I'm using Nova)

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I saw on Digital Trends' review that they were experiencing a lot of lags and stutters until they did a factory reset. From there the phone worked great even when they installed their usual apps.

Worth a try.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
No lag at all. Fastest phone I've had that wasn't running iOS. You don't have power saving mode on by any chance do you? On other phones I've accidentally enabled it without noticing until the phone got sluggish.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
If you are coming from an iPhone 7 Plus, you will notice lag compared to this phone. It's just isn't as smooth unfortunately. Games has been my biggest issue. MCOC lags when you compare it to iOS, even the TSUM TSUM plays like complete trash and freezes while your playing for a few seconds.

Pretty pathetic with the "top end" specs if you ask me.

With that said though, still love the phone for other reasons.

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
If you are coming from an iPhone 7 Plus, you will notice lag compared to this phone. It's just isn't as smooth unfortunately. Games has been my biggest issue. MCOC lags when you compare it to iOS, even the TSUM TSUM plays like complete trash and freezes while your playing for a few seconds.

Pretty pathetic with the "top end" specs if you ask me.

With that said though, still love the phone for other reasons.

Have you tried game mode?

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I just received my S8 on at&t Friday and noticed there is a stutter whenever I press the home key if I'm either leaving the stock Internet app or gallery. I did open up developer options and reduced the animation scale from 1x to .5x on all categories.

I have noticed with my ATT version as well a few times especially in the browser. Logged on to Dbrands site and it froze when there. And scrolling was laggy. I have pressed on a f re buttons from time to time and get stutter. I'm coming from Huawei mate 9 and it is very noticeable at times. This is why I don't miss Sammy. Idle battery drain is also horrible in comparison. Took off the charger at 11pm last night fully charged and I woke up at 89% My Mate 9 was at 98% . Same apps and all. Charged back up to 100% drove to the airport this morning a 1/2 hour away without using my phone other than to check my flight status and I'm down to 87%. Now I have to cripple this phone to figure out why. At this rate by the time I got Chicago I will have 50%. I am also using my phone in FHD not WQHD because I've been using Huawei since Note 7.

soli2005

May 13, 2012
Visit site
This seems like a good time to remind people that you are more likely to experience issues like this if you restore from a previous phone rather than just setting it up fresh and starting from scratch.

I tried a hard reset twice since yesterday and no luck. I even didn't do smart transfer and started from scratch the last try.

soli2005

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed with my ATT version as well a few times especially in the browser. Logged on to Dbrands site and it froze when there. And scrolling was laggy. I have pressed on a f re buttons from time to time and get stutter. I'm coming from Huawei mate 9 and it is very noticeable at times. This is why I don't miss Sammy. Idle battery drain is also horrible in comparison. Took off the charger at 11pm last night fully charged and I woke up at 89% My Mate 9 was at 98% . Same apps and all. Charged back up to 100% drove to the airport this morning a 1/2 hour away without using my phone other than to check my flight status and I'm down to 87%. Now I have to cripple this phone to figure out why. At this rate by the time I got Chicago I will have 50%. I am also using my phone in FHD not WQHD because I've been using Huawei since Note 7.

That's disappointing to hear. Do you think you'll return it if it isn't going to work out? I am contemplating it but I may see about getting a replacement device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2