Opinions wanted Please on the S8 phone.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everyone.

I'm currently wanting to change my current phone. {Samsung Galaxy s7 edge.}

After playing with the Samsung Galaxy s8 and s8+ demo models I'm finding the s8 hits the sweet spot for me due to its dimensions. Feels more comfortable to hold.

The s8+ is just a bit too long for my wants and needs. :)

Using the working demo models in my local Samsung Experience Store certainly has given me some really good insight, and some posts on here, elsewhere and YouTube has helped, but it's not the same as using it properly out and about for a longer period of time.

The kind of experiances I'm looking for with the Samsung Galaxy s8 are....

Although a subjective topic how's your Battery Life been ?

How is the screen looking to you in regards to Red Hue / over reflective on the edges / is the screen ok to view whilst in the sun etc ?

Do you find it's size comfortable ?

Is it snappy ? {Mine would be the Exynos 8895 Octa as I'm in the U.K.}

Any other Pro's and Con's ?

Thank you. :)

SnoFire

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Although a subjective topic how's your Battery Life been ? Phone fully charged and started using around 4am, streamed music all day using BT speaker (a good 10hrs), some app downloading, and some internet searching. By 8pm I still had 40% battery left.

How is the screen looking to you in regards to Red Hue / over reflective on the edges / is the screen ok to view whilst in the sun etc ? Has not been a concern on the Red Hue (I think people are making this into more of an issue than what it is). Sure we are going to hear about this more on the forums but how many MILLIONS of these phones do you not hear about. Turn up the brightness out in the sun (which it basically was as I was doing yard work all weekend) hasn't been a problem

Do you find it's size comfortable ? Yes it is comfortable. I do plan to get a different case for it maybe something a little thicker. feels very light compared to my S5.

Is it snappy ? {Mine would be the Exynos 8895 Octa as I'm in the U.K.} Yes, very quick. Haven't had an issue at all

Any other Pro's and Con's ? Love the camera and the filters (well my 2yr daughter loves the filters on the selfie camera). Wish maybe it was a tadd wider. So far really liking the phone.

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone.

I'm currently wanting to change my current phone. {Samsung Galaxy s7 edge.}

After playing with the Samsung Galaxy s8 and s8+ demo models I'm finding the s8 hits the sweet spot for me due to its dimensions. Feels more comfortable to hold.

The s8+ is just a bit too long for my wants and needs. :)

Using the working demo models in my local Samsung Experience Store certainly has given me some really good insight, and some posts on here, elsewhere and YouTube has helped, but it's not the same as using it properly out and about for a longer period of time.

The kind of experiances I'm looking for with the Samsung Galaxy s8 are....

Although a subjective topic how's your Battery Life been ?

How is the screen looking to you in regards to Red Hue / over reflective on the edges / is the screen ok to view whilst in the sun etc ?

Do you find it's size comfortable ?

Is it snappy ? {Mine would be the Exynos 8895 Octa as I'm in the U.K.}

Any other Pro's and Con's ?

Thank you. :)

I upgraded from a GS7 and haven't regretted it. I am on AT&T and Snappy 835.

Battery life is more than adequate to get through a full day with moderate to heavy use. This will definitely differ from person to person. Been on the phone almost 45 minutes and still 100%.

No red hue. Display at 30% FHD Basic is more than adequate to use the phone in the car. Display is great. In intense sunlight, it needs to be a but brighter but the weather has been overcast since I got my GS8. Today will be the first sunny day.

I have medium sized hands and have no issues with the fps. One handed operation is fine but I tend to use a combination of hands depending upon what I am doing.

Using SwiftKey and Nova Prime launcher with a Defender case. Being my first curved display device, I am trying the Alpha Glass screen protector. Only issue here has been customizing the app drawer in the Nova Prime launcher. Absolutely no issues with bonding devices via Bluetooth. Car. Wireless earbuds. External heart rate monitor.

Absolutely snappy and smooth. No perceptible lag of any kind. Onscreen navigation buttons are great. Haptic feedback to unlock but absolutely less touch needed to switch apps. Thought I would miss them.

Still messing with the settings and getting used to the edge panels. I still need to set them up. Still waiting to try Bixby and both the FFC and RFC.

We can give you you all sorts of reasons one way or another. At the end of the day, the only person that can make the decision is you. Check out the numerous YouTube reviews.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your insight.

After using the s8 and s8+ in a Samsung store and using the awesome info here and other places I've pre ordered a s8 to be picked up this Friday.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Although a subjective topic how's your Battery Life been ? So far, in a couple of days, I have seen good battery life with the 8+ and my friend says his battery with the S8 is great. He came from an HTC M9 though so great to him is making it past lunch time. I came from an iPhone 7 Plus and this is close to that battery life.

How is the screen looking to you in regards to Red Hue / over reflective on the edges / is the screen ok to view whilst in the sun etc ? I have not seen a Red Hue, screen looks amazing. The edges are slightly reflective but it is much less than previous models with edge screens. It is not noticeable. Looks good in the sun.

Do you find it's size comfortable ? It is pretty easy to hold, even the giant one, but does require very large hands or two hands. I can maneuver it with one hand, but it takes some concentration.

Is it snappy ? {Mine would be the Exynos 8895 Octa as I'm in the U.K.} I can't say much to the 8895 version, I have the US AT&T version, but it is snappy as hell. It doesn't lag, there is no "Samsung Lag" and it seems to handle everything without issue.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon