Fingerprint scanner....I think I know why.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
So after using my S8+ since Friday I think I know why Samsung put the fingerprint scanner next the camera.

First I would like say if you put a backing on your phone you should be able touch the scanner without touching camera lens.

So back to my point, the fingerprint scanner is in a great place, it should slow people who drive and text or touch their cell phone while driving. And I don't mean they are stopped at a light. I mean driving. For kicks and giggles and I have tried to scan my finger while driving my street and it's not easy in fact I can see how much more difficult will be when someone is driving on a highway or a busy street.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
So after using my S8+ since Friday I think I know why Samsung put the fingerprint scanner next the camera.

First I would like say if you put a backing on your phone you should be able touch the scanner without touching camera lens.

So back to my point, the fingerprint scanner is in a great place, it should slow people who drive and text or touch their cell phone while driving. And I don't mean they are stopped at a light. I mean driving. For kicks and giggles and I have tried to scan my finger while driving my street and it's not easy in fact I can see how much more difficult will be when someone is driving on a highway or a busy street.

That would be a pretty bad reason to put it in a questionable location. The majority of use is not while driving. Most people drive maybe an hour or so a day. 1 hour of possible use vs 15 hours of regular use. Wouldnt make sense to take that measure and annoy people when usage in the car is already so low compared to usage throughout the day.

I think it was easier to place all the internals on one section of the board and cut out one area of the glass than it was to separate things.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So your saying, Samsung did this to make handling the phone more difficult while driving... making it more dangerous. :eek:

Yes, it's not hard to imagine that it will cause extra attention while driving to be spent trying to unlock their phones reaching for the FPS, doing the Samsung shimmy, or to avoid all that, people will be bringing the phone up to their face and looking at their phones for Iris or face recognition instead of looking at their phone.

That's exactly why Samsung put the FPS there. Thanks Samsung. :confused:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Doubt it. If they wanted to eliminate texting while driving they could just have the software disable receiving and sending text messages when the device detects it is travelling more than 4 mph.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I would assume most people would use smart lock paired with a bluetooth device like the car radio to have the phone unlocked while in the car.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok, if you do not have smart lock set up for your car (can't imagine why you wouldn't) then the FPS is much easier used where it is than in the middle of the phone. You just use your finger over the top of the phone to reach it. One handed and super easy. But smart lock is still the answer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech