Is the Microsoft Charger for the Lumia 950 compatible with the Galaxy S8?

MPivot

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
My previous phone was a Lumia 950. It flaked out a couple times, but the MS Store people were kind enough to swapped it out each time. This left me with a number of the associated cables and chargers.

I have since moved to the Galaxy S8. But, can anyone tell me if my old MS charger is compatible with the Galaxy S8? It would be nice to have a charger at both work and home, purely for the sake of convenience.

Also, unless they did something really weird, I am guessing that the MS provided USB-C cables are fully compatible.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I see no issues here. The only takeaway is I have seen non Samsung branded turbo chargers not show "Turbo-Charging" on the lock screen. Basically, you could potentially see a slower charge rate (I'm not sure of the specifics on the MS plug). But, if you are using to top up on the road or at the office shouldn't be a big deal. Let me know if it shows you its "turbo charging" using the MS cable/plug or just showing as "charging." Either way you should be able to power up. Congrats on your S8!

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would not recommend using the Lumia 950 charger on an S8, since I believe that the Lumia charger is a higher output amperage (3A vs. 2A for the S8).

I don't have my S8+ charger with me though (read the specs off of the s7edge charger, which I think has the same specs), can someone verify please?

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I would not recommend using the Lumia 950 charger on an S8, since I believe that the Lumia charger is a higher output amperage (3A vs. 2A for the S8).

I don't have my S8+ charger with me though (read the specs off of the s7edge charger, which I think has the same specs), can someone verify please?

Checking all my sources now and will be uploading a screenshot of the wall charger of the S8+ shortly.

I am speaking from personal experience using a 950 charger to power a Google Pixel without issue. I have not had any hiccups due to this, but over a long period of time it theoretically it could hurt the longevity of the battery. From what I've read though the device is only supposed to draw the power it needs vs what's available. However, @illdini I appreciate your input and we want to get the best information possible! I'll update when I have more.

MPivot

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
So I tried both. You were right about the text and estimated charge times.

When the MS charger was plugged in, the "Fast charging" text was replaced with simply "Charging".
Samsung and Microsoft chargers.png

The estimated charge time was a little longer for the MS charger. That is kind of interesting as the MS charger is 3A vs the Samsung charger which is 2A.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
So I tried both. You were right about the text and estimated charge times.

When the MS charger was plugged in, the "Fast charging" text was replaced with simply "Charging".
View attachment 258024

The estimated charge time was a little longer for the MS charger. That is kind of interesting as the MS charger is 3A vs the Samsung charger which is 2A.

Thank you for posting results!

MPivot

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
From the reading it appears to boil down to...

Voltage: Must be within the accepted range. Too little is no good to charge the battery, but too much is bad for the battery as the voltage PUSHED to the battery can damage it.
--> Same Voltage for both Samsung and MS chargers (5V), so this should be fine.

Current: The power adapter provides the Amps, but the phone/battery will only take (PULL) as much as it needs.
--> MS adapter provides 3A while the Samsung adapter provides 2A. This tells us the potential pool of power provided. Since the battery will only take as much as it wants, this should also be fine.