Anyone notice the home button

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Also works to unlock the screen even if the screen is completely locked and no home button is displayed?

I have the AOD set to turn off at a certain time at night. I accidentally grabbed my phone and pushed where the home button usually shows when AOD is on and the phone still unlocked. Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I just discovered this.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I think that's pretty cool. I have a love/hate relationship with the home button, but mostly because of the vibration motor. That's good to know that it works even if it isn't visible. I know in another thread on here people were worried about the button causing screen burn in. Sounds like you can turn it off and still use it, which is good.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Also works to unlock the screen even if the screen is completely locked and no home button is displayed?

I have the AOD set to turn off at a certain time at night. I accidentally grabbed my phone and pushed where the home button usually shows when AOD is on and the phone still unlocked. Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I just discovered this.
I showed my wife this the other day. We're both jumping from LG to Samsung this year. I've already upgraded. The guinea pig I supposed, neither of us have owned Samsung devices. A sticking point for her was losing double tap to wake. IMO, the home button being active while the screen is off is a suitable replacement.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You can also turn on and simultaneously unlock the phone my touching the fingerprint sensor with a registered finger print

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I showed my wife this the other day. We're both jumping from LG to Samsung this year. I've already upgraded. The guinea pig I supposed, neither of us have owned Samsung devices. A sticking point for her was losing double tap to wake. IMO, the home button being active while the screen is off is a suitable replacement.

Double-tap-to-whatever is a hard habit to kick. One of the few things I loved about my LG phones (even the wide angle lens grew into a 'meh' feeling quickly thanks to its downgraded picture quality... Why LG, WHY???!!!). I was doing the double tap thing to my work iPhone, my tablet, my computer haha...

BouncyRoo

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Common knowledge. This is how I unlock my phone. It's a one "button" press instead of pressing the power button then slide to unlock. I use Iris. It's usually fast enough where I don't even see the Iris camera comes up, it just goes right the the home screen. That's when I have the phone right in front of my eyes already.

EngineerGuy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Common knowledge. This is how I unlock my phone. It's a one "button" press instead of pressing the power button then slide to unlock. I use Iris. It's usually fast enough where I don't even see the Iris camera comes up, it just goes right the the home screen. That's when I have the phone right in front of my eyes already.

While it does unlock the phone it also bypasses all security measures from what I've determined. That's why you aren't seeing the iris notification appearing. I'm not sure what good that is unless the user is the type who chooses to not lock their phone.

I use iris scan to unlock. I've become used to holding the phone in the proper position to ensure a quick iris scan for unlock. Yesterday I noticed that it unlocked while holding the home button and the display was not anywhere close to the right distance or angle to read my eyes. I flipped the phone over and held the home button as a test and the phone unlocked.

I've since disabled the home button from unlocking the phone.

Last edited:

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
You will still need to unlock the phone via the method you choose. I have the button showing with screen off, and double tap to wake the phone and show notifications, and if I long press it goes straight to the part where I can either enter my pin, Iris, or finger print. That is instead of pressing the home button, swipe the lockscreen, and then unlock via biometrics.

To be clear I still need to unlock using one security method when I press the home button to bypass the top layer of the lockscreen

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
You will still need to unlock the phone via the method you choose. I have the button showing with screen off, and double tap to wake the phone and show notifications, and if I long press it goes straight to the part where I can either enter my pin, Iris, or finger print. That is instead of pressing the home button, swipe the lockscreen, and then unlock via biometrics.

To be clear I still need to unlock using one security method when I press the home button to bypass the top layer of the lockscreen

I can confirm that this is the case as well. The unlock with home button only works if your phone times out but is unlocked. Once your set lock time kicks in, the phone will ask to be unlocked when you try to unlock with the home button. Try setting your screen timeout to instant with power key and then try to unlock it. You'll see that it won't unlock.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
While it does unlock the phone it also bypasses all security measures from what I've determined. That's why you aren't seeing the iris notification appearing. I'm not sure what good that is unless the user is the type who chooses to not lock their phone.

I use iris scan to unlock. I've become used to holding the phone in the proper position to ensure a quick iris scan for unlock. Yesterday I noticed that it unlocked while holding the home button and the display was not anywhere close to the right distance or angle to read my eyes. I flipped the phone over and held the home button as a test and the phone unlocked.

That's odd, that shouldn't happen. The long-press on the home button option should bypass the swipe screen but it still prompts for secure lockscreens (iris, FPS, face, password, pin, pattern). Hasn't failed for me yet. Are you sure your phone is locked (not just screen off but locked locked) while you did that?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

That's odd, that shouldn't happen. The long-press on the home button option should bypass the swipe screen but it still prompts for secure lockscreens (iris, FPS, face, password, pin, pattern). Hasn't failed for me yet. Are you sure your phone is locked (not just screen off but locked locked) while you did that?

sergysn

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Double-tap-to-whatever is a hard habit to kick. One of the few things I loved about my LG phones (even the wide angle lens grew into a 'meh' feeling quickly thanks to its downgraded picture quality... Why LG, WHY???!!!). I was doing the double tap thing to my work iPhone, my tablet, my computer haha...
U still can do it with Nova launcher, i set double tap to lock my phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234