**Testing** Make your S8 S8+ FASTER

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys test this out if you like and let us know your results.

This should make you phone feel much faster

You will need to enable developer mode on your phone

Go to Settings >About phone >Hit Build number about 7 times until it says developer mode
Go back to Settings and there should be a new section called Developer Options

In Developer options
change
window animations scale, transition scale and animator scale to 0.5x. This will speed up animations.

Here's the big one

Now choose *** Force GPU rendering ON to use 2d hardware acceleration***

Enjoy

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys test this out if you like and let us know your results.

This should make you phone feel much faster

You will need to enable developer mode on your phone

Go to Settings >About phone >Hit Build number about 7 times until it says developer mode
Go back to Settings and there should be a new section called Developer Options

In Developer options
change
window animations scale, transition scale and animator scale to 0.5x. This will speed up animations.

Here's the big one

Now choose *** Force GPU rendering ON to use 2d hardware acceleration***

Enjoy

Wow ok thanks

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
From Google Search:

Enabling this preference in developer options offloads task of rendering window components like buttons, text and complex 2d graphics calculations to GPU. This often results in much faster UI rendering including animations. On one side you will definitely achieve better frame rate (and hence smooth experience) throughout system, but you may end up using more battery. On certain devices, GPU consumes more power the CPU, hence you may observe 5-15% lower battery life with option enabled.

I would recommend having this option enabled on devices with weaker CPUs e.g. You should seldom need to enable this on dual-core 1.4ghz ARM CPU.

Offloading UI rendering to GPU has obvious benefits so that CPU can work on other important tasks like database IO, data manipulation, layout calculations and responding to other user inputs.

Doesn't really look necessary for the S8.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
From Google Search:

Enabling this preference in developer options offloads task of rendering window components like buttons, text and complex 2d graphics calculations to GPU. This often results in much faster UI rendering including animations. On one side you will definitely achieve better frame rate (and hence smooth experience) throughout system, but you may end up using more battery. On certain devices, GPU consumes more power the CPU, hence you may observe 5-15% lower battery life with option enabled.

I would recommend having this option enabled on devices with weaker CPUs e.g. You should seldom need to enable this on dual-core 1.4ghz ARM CPU.

Offloading UI rendering to GPU has obvious benefits so that CPU can work on other important tasks like database IO, data manipulation, layout calculations and responding to other user inputs.

Doesn't really look necessary for the S8.

Thank you, I just read this on Google as well. Leaving mine off.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While it sounds nice.. I'm not worried about it. The device feels just fine at default speeds for me :).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... the animation scale thing has been around for years. Never been a fan of it. Those animations used to be a way for the developers to give you something nice to look at while the windows render. Now? On most phones, they are there to smooth out the transition between windows and make things appear more integrated and cohesive. To be honest, I think turning them down reduces the smooth flow of the UI and makes things look jerky and unpolished.

So I'll gladly sacrifice what amounts to a fraction of a second.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I actually did try making the animations faster on a lot on phones.

I initially liked it, but then I quickly thought that it looked wrong as it looked as if the phone is trying too hard to be faster and also induces some more stutters due to the lack of an animation that's long enough between the action and response.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I did this with my S4 and S5 I felt it needed it then but with my S7E and now S8+ I think it's fast enough I actually kind of enjoy the animations

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... the animation scale thing has been around for years. Never been a fan of it. Those animations used to be a way for the developers to give you something nice to look at while the windows render. Now? On most phones, they are there to smooth out the transition between windows and make things appear more integrated and cohesive. To be honest, I think turning them down reduces the smooth flow of the UI and makes things look jerky and unpolished.

So I'll gladly sacrifice what amounts to a fraction of a second.
I completely agree with you, and how you phrased it as well. On my old nexus 6p, I turned down the animations to 0.5x and sure the phone felt faster, bi1t it wasn't as smooth fluid, or cohesive. This time around, I'm sticking to 1x. Just feels comfortable and the is is beautiful ti use !what does turning on the hardware rendering in 2d do though for the phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888