S8+ and....scratches!

gmaister22

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
So...it's been 5 days and yes, i got a nice around 2 cm scratch on my phone! I was really careful with it, no keys in the same pocket or anything else so i have no idea how it got that scratch (which is kinda deep since i can feel it using my fingernail) but it is what it is now. Although i have to say that my S7E haven't gotten a single scratch.

So, anyone used cerium oxide? I kinda want this scratch to be gone, otherwise ill be replacing the screen!

Any ideas?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
So...it's been days and yes, i got a nice around 2 cm scratch on my phone! I was really careful with it, no keys in the same pocket or anything else so i have no idea how it got that scratch (which is kinda deep since i can feel it using my fingernail) but it is what it is now. Although i have to say that my S7E haven't gotten a single scratch.

So, anyone used cerium oxide? I kinda want this scratch to be gone, otherwise ill be replacing the screen!
That might work on the rear glass but I wouldn't try it on the screen--unless you're definitely going to replace the screen otherwise, in which case you have nothing to lose.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Regardless of which side, using cerium oxide or any polish... bye bye oleophobic coating. Get a skin for the back or a screen protector for the front and that will mask any light scratches and put it behind ya.

gmaister22

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Regardless of which side, using cerium oxide or any polish... bye bye oleophobic coating. Get a skin for the back or a screen protector for the front and that will mask any light scratches and put it behind ya.

I am considering that "wet application" protectors...i just read that they fill in light scratches...any1 heard about that?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If you can see the scratch w screen on and feel the scratch a wet protector's best feature is preventing more scratches.You may not see it with screen on but will see scratch w screen off. jmo

gmaister22

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I just came back from the store, i purchased and applied Samsung's official film protector, the scratch is gone, u can only see a portion of it when you place it under a bright lamp!

Gotta get a wet protector from amazon too, u think it will work even better?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't put phones in my pocket (especially a device this tall). I use a belt case that has belt loops to avoid the case coming off when getting in and out of cars, etc.

Yep, some at work laugh, but prefer this way and have since the Droid Incredible. No scratches so far, since using belt cases. Scratches would stand out if had any, using Gear VR. Even tiny ones would.

Last edited:

BrwnSuga3

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't put phones in my pocket (especially a device this tall). I use a belt case that has belt loops to avoid the case coming off when getting in and out of cars, etc.

Yep, some at work laugh, but prefer this way and have since the Droid Incredible. No scratches so far, since using belt cases. Scratches would stand out if had any, using great VR. Even tiny ones would.

I use a belt clip too. I've messed up screens in the past by putting it on my purse or pocket.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Yep, some at work laugh, but prefer this way and have since the Droid Incredible. No scratches so far, since using belt cases. Scratches would stand out if had any, using Gear VR. Even tiny ones would.

Ha! The belt clip cases definitely do not look cool by any stretch of the imagination. But they work & am personally in/out of cars that are in tight places quite a few times per day. Using these, do not have to worry about scratching the car or leaving the phone inside of it etc. Have a Otterbox Defender on the S8+, but have used the inexpensive ones via Amazon in the past.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Ha! The belt clip cases definitely do not look cool by any stretch of the imagination. But they work & am personally in/out of cars that are in tight places quite a few times per day. Using these, do not have to worry about scratching the car or leaving the phone inside of it etc. Have a Otterbox Defender on the S8+, but have used the inexpensive ones via Amazon in the past.

^ This.

I drive a Forklift Truck so having the phone in my pocket wouldn't work for me hence I use a PdAir Holster Case with belt clip that my shirt hides.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So...it's been 5 days and yes, i got a nice around 2 cm scratch on my phone! I was really careful with it, no keys in the same pocket or anything else so i have no idea how it got that scratch (which is kinda deep since i can feel it using my fingernail) but it is what it is now. Although i have to say that my S7E haven't gotten a single scratch.

Any ideas?

I had mines for one day with a case. A scratch on the back glass and also the fingerprint scanner has light scratches.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
i loved having a belt holster for my phones, but alas the wife and kids rode me about it so hard that i gave them up. i have since made the change to always wear a shirt with a pocket, i keep my phone in my shirt pocket all the time. that and the wallet case i use there is little chance of a scratch

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

Watch anything belt clipped. Easiest way to break a phone.

Sean Fanelli

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Got a few scratches on my S7 edge. Bought a standard zagg screen protector (gel application) crystal clear and i can no longer see the scratches. You just loose the nice feel of glass