S8 Real Review

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm just going to use one of those half-price phones that are often held up as near Flagship quality as an example. The axon 7 has been said by many to be the best phone in that 3 or $400 price range. So what do you get for the extra $400 with the S8 Plus? You get a much bigger screen, a by much faster processor, a much better camera, Iris and face scanning, Bluetooth 5.0, a bigger battery and more battery life, navigation buttons that actually light up unlike on the axon 7, water resistance. I personally would not give up many of those things just to save $400. I would not give up the bigger screen, better camera better battery, and water resistance specifically.

i guess what it boils down to is this: Everything you state is true when moving from the "near flagship experience" directly TO the flagship.

What i am saying is this: there was a time using anything less than a flagship was "an almost painful experience" but since, "the times they are a changing" and that is no longer the case, to me if companies continue to believe their "flagship" is going to command the older standard of super high pricing just for the few things you mentioned above, (they certainly aren't "dealbreakers" for EVERYONE) i believe they are seriously miscalculating their buying public.

I am thinking maybe you haven't used and purchased one of the latest, "near flagship" phone lately and saved yourself 3-400 bucks and felt pretty good (not GREAT, i said "pretty good" lol) about the whole thing?! I have and i can tell you i don't mind paying through the nose for ANYTHING if its an experience i cannot duplicate at a lesser price, i am all over it... BUT, if i can get A LOT closer for A LOT less, i'm all over that too!

And even if you have, my thoughts and logic don't apply to every single person in the universe. hardly...lol

BTC

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
A phone release last June.

The argument will probably be hard to make when more models come out this year. OnePlus 5 will be an interesting one. Competition is coming out with new phones with the the 835, more memory, storage, battery and dual cameras and doing for hundreds less.

The question is does the S8/+ offer that much more to warrant the premium. It's not perfect... for that price the arguments are real... no dual cam, no quad DAC or dual firing speakers and I for one would still want bigger battery especially in the smaller S8. For a premium price there are a lot of consessions where for hundreds less you buy knowing you can live without them. That's something each has to decide themselves.

agreed. in some households its hard to even make the argument NOW, let alone 6 months from now when all mid-rangers will be more than likely be offering top notch specs except for one or two features. Even Samsung has equipped 2017 A line with waterproofing, 16MP Front Facing AND 16MP rear camera along with a boat load of other high end features, from 270 for 4.7 to $350 for 5.7 inch models...

rear glass casing, ip68 cerified, new Grace UI, fingerprint scanner ON FRONT etc...if u watch u see where he has lists a few more flagship features, all for $330 on amazon, so there's that...lol)

and this version has Latin American LTE bands which work here in us...
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Unlo...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5793895

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
However, almost everyone slaps a case onto their phones so having a glass back is silly to me and probably cost more too to produce.

Glass wouldn't have been my first choice either. Samsung is competing primarily with Apple and has been for several years now. I remember how the plastic removal back and faux metal had been ridiculed for years held some back from considering them premium. Samsung would include great hardware and features but end up with plastic. To your point, most everyone puts a case on them so, IMHO, it's a fair trade for the features and hardware. Could the trade off be better? Sure. Only time will tell.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For those that take exception with reporting issues why do you even bother with reviews then? It's like Sammobile having to apologize to Samsung fans for pointing out the flaws of the S8 devices. What's the point of just hiding the flaws? Everyone can feel happy in their ignorance?
Bias bias bias. lol

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Glass wouldn't have been my first choice either. Samsung is competing primarily with Apple and has been for several years now. I remember how the plastic removal back and faux metal had been ridiculed for years held some back from considering them premium. Samsung would include great hardware and features but end up with plastic. To your point, most everyone puts a case on them so, IMHO, it's a fair trade for the features and hardware. Could the trade off be better? Sure. Only time will tell.

The Note 4 is still the King of all Androids. Best phone ever minus the Note 7 since it really doesn't exist now. The Note 4 was plastic, had removeable battery, IR blaster. Make the Note 8 like the Note 4 was with those features and I'd be all over it even after just buying the S8.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
agreed. in some households its hard to even make the argument NOW, let alone 6 months from now when all mid-rangers will be more than likely be offering top notch specs except for one or two features. Even Samsung has equipped 2017 A line with waterproofing, 16MP Front Facing AND 16MP rear camera along with a boat load of other high end features, from 270 for 4.7 to $350 for 5.7 inch models...

rear glass casing, ip68 cerified, new Grace UI, fingerprint scanner ON FRONT etc...if u watch u see where he has lists a few more flagship features, all for $330 on amazon, so there's that...lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFsFPy7C3M

and this version has Latin American LTE bands which work here in us...
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Unlo...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5794095

Still junk compared to the s8 though. Also only has 3gb of ram. No go for me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Note 4 is still the King of all Androids. Best phone ever minus the Note 7 since it really doesn't exist now. The Note 4 was plastic, had removeable battery, IR blaster. Make the Note 8 like the Note 4 was with those features and I'd be all over it even after just buying the S8.

lol the Note 4 wasn't even the best phone of 2014, let alone the best Android ever.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Never going to happen

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I am afraid that I have to concur with earlier comments. With GS8/GS8+ pre-orders setting records, the plastic & faux metal are a thing of the past. The IR blaster, however, might have a chance but given all the sensors, it seems slim at best.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Because there is no perfect phone, regardless of price. If we all made phone purchase decisions based on negatives only, we'd never own a phone. Name any phone and I can tell you at least five things that annoy me, even though I still may love it.

You find a phone that gets the closest to what will work for you on the daily.

This should be font size 200,000, bold and bright orange. ^^ Well said :)

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
lol the Note 4 wasn't even the best phone of 2014, let alone the best Android ever.

Well most diehard power users will disagree though especially Note users. Many on these forums still rock the Note 4 due to the all around features. I'm talking all around package, the Note 4 is probably the greatest phone Samsung has made to date. Yes it is not that modern now but looking at the overall picture I say it is one of the best. Behind that probably the Galaxy S2 is up there too. That was a heavy hitter for me and I really liked that phone. The thing had no bugs and was very durable. I'm not going by features but phones overall. Too early to say how the S8 will rank.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well most diehard power users will disagree though especially Note users. Many on these forums still rock the Note 4 due to the all around features. I'm talking all around package, the Note 4 is probably the greatest phone Samsung has made to date. Yes it is not that modern now but looking at the overall picture I say it is one of the best. Behind that probably the Galaxy S2 is up there too. That was a heavy hitter for me and I really liked that phone. The thing had no bugs and was very durable. I'm not going by features but phones overall. Too early to say how the S8 will rank.

Yeah... the industry is not going to take the most fanatical minority of what's already a tiny minority of phone owners (the forums) subjective opinions about what is "the best phone". That question is either up to each buyer or based on sales. The best Samsung phone is, barring some unexpected major problem that hasn't reared it's head yet, the S8 Plus. By far and away. Nothing else Samsung's ever made is even close. Whether or not that's the best mobile phone is a totally different thing, but the Note 4 has absolutely nothing on the S8+ aside from some subjective criteria, such as if you love flat screens and not curved ones, etc. The S8+ beats the Note 4 on software, security, every objective aspect of the hardware, battery life, features, support, design, etc. and it'll likely top the Note in sales by a factor of 10.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I like Flossy, though I must admit I can never make it through his entire reviews lol

I Really Really like Erica the technology nerd. She's like your best friend, showing you her latest tech.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I like Flossy, though I must admit I can never make it through his entire reviews lol

I Really Really like Erica the technology nerd. She's like your best friend, showing you her latest tech.
Yeah I like Erica videos as well, she also does great reviews talking thru everything the device has to offer.

eyedoc2020

May 1, 2017
Visit site
I got a different impression of what the term "real" review means. He typically does an unboxing video, goes over features and gives initial comments on the phone. Then after using the device for a week or 2 he delivers his "real" review.

I find him very entertaining and tend to watch some of his videos of products I have no interest in buying.

Love it when Xerxes 'be trollin' the camera.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't think Flossy pretends to be a saint lol. I still think his reviews are honest and funny.

I wouldn't put too much weight behind them, nor would I dismiss them.

He's one voice in a sea of online reviews.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah... the industry is not going to take the most fanatical minority of what's already a tiny minority of phone owners (the forums) subjective opinions about what is "the best phone". That question is either up to each buyer or based on sales. The best Samsung phone is, barring some unexpected major problem that hasn't reared it's head yet, the S8 Plus. By far and away. Nothing else Samsung's ever made is even close. Whether or not that's the best mobile phone is a totally different thing, but the Note 4 has absolutely nothing on the S8+ aside from some subjective criteria, such as if you love flat screens and not curved ones, etc. The S8+ beats the Note 4 on software, security, every objective aspect of the hardware, battery life, features, support, design, etc. and it'll likely top the Note in sales by a factor of 10.

Like I said not going by overall how modern the phone is, but the overall device. I will still say the Note 4 packed the heaviest punch. Ran good, had good camera, removeable battery, Micro SD storage, IR blaster. The Note 7 would probably be right up there with the Note 4 as the best phone Samsung has ever made.

Note 4 was for diehard power users.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87