Did you keep your S8 / S8+?

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes I kept my Galaxy S8 Plus. Switched from my iPhone 7 Plus to the S8 and I'm really enjoying the phone. Happy to be using Android again!

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Switched from the iPhone 7Plus to the s8 Plus on launch day a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it but decided to jump again to the LG G6 this time. I had a Spigen case on the s8 Plus but was constantly worried about dropping and smashing it like I did with the s7 edge last year when it fell from about a foot onto a rubber car mat and smashed the screen. Having the sides protected on my G6 by a case makes all the difference and it greatly reduces the chances of damage with a fall in comparison

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Switched from the iPhone 7Plus to the s8 Plus on launch day a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it but decided to jump again to the LG G6 this time. I had a Spigen case on the s8 Plus but was constantly worried about dropping and smashing it like I did with the s7 edge last year when it fell from about a foot onto a rubber car mat and smashed the screen. Having the sides protected on my G6 by a case makes all the difference and it greatly reduces the chances of damage with a fall in comparison
I'm looking at the side of my s8+. The curve is less than on the 7edhe and the case supports the sides very well. I've dropped it twice and no damage. The back of the case has a knick, that's it.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at the side of my s8+. The curve is less than on the 7edhe and the case supports the sides very well. I've dropped it twice and no damage. The back of the case has a knick, that's it.

Yeah the edge glass is definitley more subtle than the s7 and much more comfortable to hold too. For me it's just still too exposed on the sides. With a case on, if you lay your phone down on a flat surface then you'll see that only the top and the bottom of the case are stopping the screen touching the flat surface whereas a non-edge phone will be touching on all 4 sides AND corners which makes a face down fall much less likely to result in damage. I'm certainly not knocking the s8. I really did like my s8 Plus and it's truly beautiful. I just prefer the G6 overall

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Yeah the edge glass is definitley more subtle than the s7 and much more comfortable to hold too. For me it's just still too exposed on the sides. With a case on, if you lay your phone down on a flat surface then you'll see that only the top and the bottom of the case are stopping the screen touching the flat surface whereas a non-edge phone will be touching on all 4 sides AND corners which makes a face down fall much less likely to result in damage. I'm certainly not knocking the s8. I really did like my s8 Plus and it's truly beautiful. I just prefer the G6 overall
I think one of my all time favorites was the note 5 and still is it's big it has the pen of course n its flat

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
It's raining here this morning as I'm walking the dogs and I love that I can type on this phone and talk on this phone without a worry . There are no touchscreen issues when the screen is wet.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
My S8+ is going back. Most all the usual Samsung niggles have returned, starting with battery life. I knew the second I finally activated that stupid-*** and utterly useless Bixby thing that battery life would crumble and sure enough, it has. There's also the stuttering scrolling - which drives me nuts - the stupidity of having "OK Google" voice control ONLY work if the phone is plugged in and locked, the uncomfortable form factor, too many accidental palm activations from the lower right corner and the thing already slowing down, even with the new Snapdragon processor. I was hoping for some sort of software update during my time with the S8+, but the return window is closing and I can't wait anymore. Guess it's back to my Pixel XL and iPhone 7+ combo for now.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
My S8+ is going back. Most all the usual Samsung niggles have returned, starting with battery life. I knew the second I finally activated that stupid-*** and utterly useless Bixby thing that battery life would crumble and sure enough, it has. There's also the stuttering scrolling - which drives me nuts - the stupidity of having "OK Google" voice control ONLY work if the phone is plugged in and locked, the uncomfortable form factor, too many accidental palm activations from the lower right corner and the thing already slowing down, even with the new Snapdragon processor. I was hoping for some sort of software update during my time with the S8+, but the return window is closing and I can't wait anymore. Guess it's back to my Pixel XL and iPhone 7+ combo for now.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. It always happens eventually it seems. I've had a few issues myself even though I do love this phone. The return period has passed for me, but I can always return to my 7 plus. I kind of want to, in a way, because it's "old reliable" (lol), but iOS is so freakin boring! My husband is having issues as well (especially with the fingerprint scanner), and he is actually considering returning his. We'll see...

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I was afraid of that. It always happens eventually it seems. I've had a few issues myself even though I do love this phone. The return period has passed for me, but I can always return to my 7 plus. I kind of want to, in a way, because it's "old reliable" (lol), but iOS is so freakin boring! My husband is having issues as well (especially with the fingerprint scanner), and he is actually considering returning his. We'll see...

It's a tough life we lead on the technological edge, isn't it? :D Yeah, iOS is boring, but you know what I've literally NEVER had to do with one of my iPhones, beginning with the 3GS? Return one of them, for any issue. Now, obviously that isn't the case for everybody, but there's a lot to be said for that type of reliability. The Pixel XL has come the closest for me in the Android aisle. Oh well. You never know until you try though, right?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Crazy, this just goes to show you that everyone is very different. I am still 100% with mine, no issues and.... Everything Is Awesomeeee

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Did you end up keeping the S8 or S8+? I admit it was a very pretty and beautiful phone (probably the best looking Samsung phone to date), but I didn't like the shape and feel of the S8 Plus that I had so I turned it back in and got my old phone back. Bixby button is located in an inconvenient spot as well as the fingerprint scanner. The only thing I would get an S8 for is to use the Gear VR. I would've kept it if the placement of buttons were in a better position. I'd rather get a Note 7 if they started to resell them, at least the screen is not too curvy and easier to hold.

EDIT: Also I wasn't very impressed with the camera, not much different than the S7. The loudspeaker also was disappointing, but that's how it is with water-resistant phones. I would've probably prefer the regular S8 because the S8 Plus was awkwardly too long. Touchwiz felt slightly laggy (I'm coming from a V20 which has one of the fastest OS experience). The price was too much, $850 plus tax was $932, not worth it. I rather keep my V20 which is $300 cheaper.

Sorry to hear you didn't like your S8. Actually, the camera is very similar to the S7 but that was a known fact prior to the device being released. My biggest complaint was the fingerprint scanner and its placement but now I'm kinda ok with it and have found that I like it now. The way I hold the phone makes it easy to access it. I think it's much better than my old S6 and more accurate.

Definitely kept it.

J

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
People worried about dropping their slippery phones, try some of the Bear Motion or Imak sandstone finish cases. They are crazy thin and provide great grip for one handed use. I've been using them since the Lumia 1520 days (I use an S7E) and absolutely love them.

Now to the S8 urge...I have been thinking everyday about buying it but then I look at my S7E and and all the reviews online about how bad the FPS is and the thought dies...until it's resurrected again after I visit AC forums :-(

Last edited:

J4To

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I'm keeping it (S8+), but coming from a iP7, you really notice how much ecosystem lock you had with Apple. Small stuff, like universal copy and paste with your Mac. There are some Android software annoyances also (same can be said with iOS).

Either way, this will be my daily device for the next ~6 months but I will likely switch back to an iPhone at the end of the year.

manni1to

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I'm taking the s8+ back for the G6. I am on a government plan and still get one year contracts. G6 is 100 and s8+ is 350. Not worth the extra 250 imo. I am a 2 phone guy so I am going from my s8+/iPhone 6s combo to a g6/iPhone 7 plus combo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc