Will SIM swap force a factory wipe?

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

Had this problem with my Note 7 and not sure if this is still a present feature/bug (I'm not sure which of these).

On my Note 7, once I had set up the phone I opened the SIM tray, popped in my SIM and once I closed it the phone auto factory reset. Wasn't too thrilled after spending a couple hours getting the phone all set up.

Anyone know for certain if the S8+ does this as well or a way to bypass this? I'm unlocked my device to move carriers and I'll be extremely cheesed if it does the same thing again.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Lundon44!

I understand the cheesing for sure (love that usage ha)!

Is it potentially possible maybe the device unlocking hadn't taken place yet and when it received an incompatible sim it triggered that reset process (although I have not seen that)?

What I can tell you is- I set up a Verizon Galaxy S8+ first and then popped the sim in after without issue (moving from GS7 to 8+). However, it was a Verizon sim going into a Verizon phone. Is there an issue with popping the sim in prior to set up though if there is a concern this may happen again?

Just trying to think of all options :).

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
So rather than guess I just finished a live chat with Samsung. They confirmed with me this is still a present "feature" (not even sure you'd call it that) with the S8. Now, it could be a Canada exclusive feature but whenever a new SIM is introduced into the phone it will auto factory reset. I can't imagine how mad I'd be if I was a traveller for business and had to swap SIM's often. Samsung should really consider having this as an optional "feature".

Chat InformationThank you for choosing Samsung. A representative will be with you shortly.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Ashley'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK111730376726X
Ashley: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Canada support. How may I assist you today?
Lundon: Hi, I'd like to confirm if a specific feature is included in my Galaxy S8+
Ashley: Hello Lundon. Please go ahead with your question.
Lundon: There was a feature introduced only on the Canadian version on the Galaxy Note 7
Lundon: The feature was the phone would factory reset when swapping the SIM card to a new SIM card
Lundon: Apparently the carriers didnt know it existed, and it wasnt in the manual
Lundon: This was ONLY introduced as of the Note 7
Lundon: Can you confirm if this "feature" is still present in the new Galaxy S8's?
Lundon: I'm switching to a new carrier and I would be very upset if they phone does a factory reset.
Ashley: I would like to inform you that, some times the phone reset automatically after SIM is inserted, please take the data back up and remove your Samsung and google accounts from phone and then change the SIM.
Lundon: You say sometimes. What are the times it does not?
Ashley: I am sorry for the above statement, the phone will reset automatically whenever the SIM is changed, and it's recommended to take back up before changing the SIM.
Lundon: So if I was travelling, and changed SIM's often, the phone would reset every time and I would all my data? Is there any way to avoid this?
Ashley: I am sorry Lundon, it can't be avoided.

So I guess my only question now is, how can I back up literally everything to copy it back after the phone gets needlessly wiped? Smart Switch is useful.. But can't carry over custom notifications, alerts, contact photos, logins etc.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
So rather than guess I just finished a live chat with Samsung. They confirmed with me this is still a present "feature" (not even sure you'd call it that) with the S8. Now, it could be a Canada exclusive feature but whenever a new SIM is introduced into the phone it will auto factory reset. I can't imagine how mad I'd be if I was a traveller for business and had to swap SIM's often. Samsung should really consider having this as an optional "feature".

Chat InformationThank you for choosing Samsung. A representative will be with you shortly.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Ashley'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK111730376726X
Ashley: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Canada support. How may I assist you today?
Lundon: Hi, I'd like to confirm if a specific feature is included in my Galaxy S8+
Ashley: Hello Lundon. Please go ahead with your question.
Lundon: There was a feature introduced only on the Canadian version on the Galaxy Note 7
Lundon: The feature was the phone would factory reset when swapping the SIM card to a new SIM card
Lundon: Apparently the carriers didnt know it existed, and it wasnt in the manual
Lundon: This was ONLY introduced as of the Note 7
Lundon: Can you confirm if this "feature" is still present in the new Galaxy S8's?
Lundon: I'm switching to a new carrier and I would be very upset if they phone does a factory reset.
Ashley: I would like to inform you that, some times the phone reset automatically after SIM is inserted, please take the data back up and remove your Samsung and google accounts from phone and then change the SIM.
Lundon: You say sometimes. What are the times it does not?
Ashley: I am sorry for the above statement, the phone will reset automatically whenever the SIM is changed, and it's recommended to take back up before changing the SIM.
Lundon: So if I was travelling, and changed SIM's often, the phone would reset every time and I would all my data? Is there any way to avoid this?
Ashley: I am sorry Lundon, it can't be avoided.

So I guess my only question now is, how can I back up literally everything to copy it back after the phone gets needlessly wiped? Smart Switch is useful.. But can't carry over custom notifications, alerts, contact photos, logins etc.

This is really good information! I have never heard of this in all my years. And I switch phones roughly once a month/swap sims/different carriers. Never had a single issue. Can anyone confirm a US carrier that they have experienced this with? I don't want to just assume a Canadian exclusive, but I've never heard any user experience this. I am truly shocked they would put that in a device! I am assuming you won't have access to both devices? As I mentioned before, couldn't you take the sim out of the old device and swap it into the S8+ on boot up, then copy over data after the sim is activated during initial boot? I apologize if I am missing a piece of the puzzle here!

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm only using one device and unlocking my carrier locked S8+ and moving to another carrier. So as of right now, I think my only options are to back everything up over Smart Switch to my PC and then move everything back. Regardless of the fact it moves the most important things, this is still a huge pain in the butthole.

I've quite spent some time perfecting my settings. As we all know, Samsung hides so many nice little features deep within their settings so I'm not sure this will all be carried over through Smart Switch.

The fact that Samsung has even decided to make this a mandatory "feature" is ridiculous. I'm trying to understand the benefit or value in it and I can't. So if I lose my phone.. And someone finds it, pops their SIM card in and the phone factory resets they no long have access to my data? But isn't that why theirs pin codes, fingerprint scanners, iris scanner and facial recognition? Why offer these if you're just going to force the phone to be wiped?

If I used my phone for work, and travelled abroad for business I would be ripping Samsung a new one. Anyone know where feedback can be provided to Samsung regarding crappy features?

EDIT: Just tweeted them. Maybe they'll respond.

Last edited:

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm only using one device and unlocking my carrier locked S8+ and moving to another carrier. So as of right now, I think my only options are to back everything up over Smart Switch to my PC and then move everything back. Regardless of the fact it moves the most important things, this is still a huge pain in the butthole.

I've quite spent some time perfecting my settings. As we all know, Samsung hides so many nice little features deep within their settings so I'm not sure this will all be carried over through Smart Switch.

The fact that Samsung has even decided to make this a mandatory "feature" is ridiculous. I'm trying to understand the benefit or value in it and I can't. So if I lose my phone.. And someone finds it, pops their SIM card in and the phone factory resets they no long have access to my data? But isn't that why theirs pin codes, fingerprint scanners, iris scanner and facial recognition? Why offer these if you're just going to force the phone to be wiped?

If I used my phone for work, and travelled abroad for business I would be ripping Samsung a new one. Anyone know where feedback can be provided to Samsung regarding crappy features?

EDIT: Just tweeted them. Maybe they'll respond.

I hope some more people chime in on this. Very interesting for sure! Appreciate the updates Lundon!