OEM USB-C adapter charges slower than aftermarket adapter?

novasquid

May 5, 2014
Visit site
my phone is currently at around ~30% battery level. using the oem usb-c adapter that came with the phone, i pugged in a 2A charger and the phone said it would be fully charged in ~2hr 50min. curious, i unplugged the oem adapter and put in an aftermarket one i bought off amazon (3 pack for $5.89) and the phone now says full charge in ~1hr 50min.

any ideas why the oem adapter may be slower charging? could it be that the OEM adapter is designed for data transfer too while the aftermarket is not, and that slows down charging? i haven't tested data transfer using OEM versus aftermarket, so I don't know if there's any difference there.

here's the link to the aftermarket adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J3GG82U

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
There are a couple of fairly extensive threads on the forum dealing with charging, your question may have been addressed there. I am not seeing correct charging times, regardless whether using wireless or cable charging. Personally I'd be somewhat leery of the adapters you purchased and would go with the one supplied with the phone.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Usb c means nothing in relation to the amount of power the charger puts out. Both of your charge adapters are normal chargers. A quick charge adapter will have adaptive voltage up to 9 volts.