Bixby And Impact on Battery

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I've been using my S8 Plus for 2 days now and love how smooth and fluid it is. Battery has also been amazing.

I've been holding on activating Bixby in fear that it will either impact performance or battery life.

For folks who have Bixby enabled, any performance draw backs or negative battery impacts?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Suck it and see. Turn it on for a day and compare the drainage. We all use our devices differently, my battery life may be different. Far too many variables with battery life. Do your own tests and come back to tell us about it.
Welcome to the forums! The S8 is an amazing device, I love mine!
Bixby is blocked, I haven't bothered but it could be amusing...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Shouldn't matter that much in normal usage but you can always disable it later if it causes a problem

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I've personally not even set it up. But I do have Google now/ Google Assistant going. Those don't seem to have any impact on this phone, o imagine bixby being about the same if enabled

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I've personally not even set it up. But I do have Google now/ Google Assistant going. Those don't seem to have any impact on this phone, o imagine bixby being about the same if enabled
Ya I have assistant on as well. Just wondering about Bixby.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Isn't that just normal ok Google though? it doesn't stay on to ask several questions etc like it's meant too?

Depends on what you mean by "stay on". If you have "Ok Google" enabled then the phone is always monitoring to hear that phrase, which will bring up Google Assistant. Otherwise I believe Assistant is dormant. I don't think that is the case with Bixby though as it has a number of items that it monitors to keep you informed or whatever. As that monitoring is going on it can't help but use battery. That's why I didn't keep Google Now going as it gave me stuff I didn't care about and sucked the batt down. I don't foresee any difference with Bixby, other than it might be worse.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Depends on what you mean by "stay on". If you have "Ok Google" enabled then the phone is always monitoring to hear that phrase, which will bring up Google Assistant. Otherwise I believe Assistant is dormant. I don't think that is the case with Bixby though as it has a number of items that it monitors to keep you informed or whatever. As that monitoring is going on it can't help but use battery. That's why I didn't keep Google Now going as it gave me stuff I didn't care about and sucked the batt down. I don't foresee any difference with Bixby, other than it might be worse.

Disabled all things Bixby as it's not currently useful. No point having it on and monitoring stuff potentially eating battery.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you know you could go into settings, then apps, then click on Bixby. There it will show you the exact battery consumption it has used since last charged. Every app will tell you this! Love this addition.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I ended up enabling bixby few days back. Don't see it causing lag or battery drain. Don't see it useful either but I'll let it be as along as it is not harming anything. I'll give Samsung a chance to see where they are taking this. But I honestly believe it's waste of Samsung resources as Google Assistant is the future.