The gorilla glass on the S8 scratches very easily

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
At first I praised the new Gorilla Glass on the S8/S8+ for not smudging as easily, but after having it a while now I am very disappointed with how easily it scratches. I have two scratches on my screen now, and I am the type of guy that is very careful with my phones. I tend to not like screen protectors, because they become smudge magnets, and cover up an otherwise beautiful display. Now I'm torn.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Don't know how you did that. I have never scratched any of my screens..
It's a shame, they are a beautiful phone!

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is junk. Scratches and shatters easily. I'm putting a case and screen protector on mine.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't know how you did that. I have never scratched any of my screens..
It's a shame, they are a beautiful phone!
I've had every Note since the Note 2, as well as an S7 Edge, and never had scratching problems either. This phone is different

Vargur78

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
That's really strange. Using my S8+ for about a week now. No cases / No screen protectors. Always naked. And it's still like a new without any dots or scratches from both sides. Well, same as you I'm very careful with the phone. Never in the pocket with the keys (well, sometimes with coins). May be i'm just lucky? BTW was really pissed off when noticed few visible scratches on my brand new S7 after few days I bought it last year. But that's a different story.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
There's an entire thread of people saying how they prefer to keep their phones "naked". I had the same thing as you happen to my S7E after I decided to peel off the screen protector. No clue where the scratch came from. I don't think I'll even attempt to go without one on this phone.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
17 days with my S8plus, no scratches yet. left front pocket is designated for my phone, nothing else goes in that pocket. same thing with my S7edge, one solid year with no screen protector, no scratches at all. but now I probably jinxed myself....

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
17 days with my S8plus, no scratches yet. left front pocket is designated for my phone, nothing else goes in that pocket. same thing with my S7edge, one solid year with no screen protector, no scratches at all. but now I probably jinxed myself....
That's what I have always done. Case on the phone, inside left pocket with screen facing in. Nothing else in that pocket. Ever.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Could be a speck of sand in your pocket, or perhaps a titanium or diamond ring... Pretty easy to scratch the glass with those or really any material harder than the gg.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Same, i now have two micro scratches near the top right corner of my phone. Really irritating how well i take care of this phone that i get phantom scratches from crap in my pocket that is too small to see.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Could be a speck of sand in your pocket, or perhaps a titanium or diamond ring... Pretty easy to scratch the glass with those or really any material harder than the gg.
No rings. Speck of sand, maybe but that could have happened easily with my last half a dozen Samsung phones, and didn't. Not sure why this one scratches so easily

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
are they deep scratches or spider web type scratches... maybe its not the glass but the oleophobic coating wearing. Looking at the S8 screen it just seems soooo glossy compared to a G6 screen and I wonder if they coat the heck on the S8 glass or wondered if the G6 has ANY coating on it.

No rings. Speck of sand, maybe but that could have happened easily with my last half a dozen Samsung phones, and didn't. Not sure why this one scratches so easily

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Gorilla Glass 5 was designed to be more shatter resistant than the previous versions. This was a problem with the Note 7 also. Mine had scratches on the back almost as soon as I started using it.

wassct

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My S6 never scratched in two years. My S8 has two scratches on the front and I'm super careful. Same happened to my son's S8. Not sure what's different about this glass.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Like I mentioned above, Corning wanted the glass to be more shatter resistant and by default that means it has to be softer. Softer glass means more scratch prone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I got lucky... I dropped mine and it did a twirl then landed on the face (I have a Spigen case) but it was okay. I was so scared lol.

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
At first I praised the new Gorilla Glass on the S8/S8+ for not smudging as easily, but after having it a while now I am very disappointed with how easily it scratches. I have two scratches on my screen now, and I am the type of guy that is very careful with my phones. I tend to not like screen protectors, because they become smudge magnets, and cover up an otherwise beautiful display. Now I'm torn.

I am extremely careful with my phone and I had just ordered and olixar tempered glass protector when I noticed a couple very small microscratches on my screen. You can only see it with the screen off. It's not as durable as we think.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza