Verizon Galaxy S8 Is there a way to disable cellular data for certain apps, but not others?

Joshbosh1

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I used to have an iPhone 5c. I recently switched to the Galaxy s8. I love this phone, but I feel like I use all of my data much faster than I used to with my old phone. On my iPhone, there was a setting to completely disable cellular data from specific apps, while still allowing it on others. For example, I had it set so that I could check Facebook and my email, but I couldn't watch YouTube or use the App Store. It was not just disabling background data use (which I have figured out how to do on my Galaxy). Is there a way to disable specific apps from using data in my settings? If not, is there an app for this? (I will not root my phone).

Thank you for your help!!!

Last edited:

ruggedhunter

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to android...where it's possible to do anything you can think of, whether your phone gives you the setting or not.

Search play store for Tasker.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you can SOME of that too... It's only a little different thinking.

First, go to your phone's Settings, then find Connections, then Data Usage. There you'll see a switch called 'Data Saver' that does exactly what you want. Problem with that switch and where it changes things is that instead of restricting apps individually, you set them to have permission to override Data Saver. Also, it doesn't completely stop them from using data, just limits them further (only open apps will use it and some elements might need extra interaction from you to do it, like tapping on images to download them, etc.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay