Shocker: My fav new feature=fingerprint reader!

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
We were all quick to say bad things about the S8s fingerprint reader before even trying it. Myself included.

However, many of us have a different opinion after putting a case on the phone. You automatically know where the fingerprint reader is with a case and it's a lot better than without the fingerprint reader.

But the real value of the fingerprint reader is the gestures feature that lets you swipe down or up for notifications anytime. Very convenient. Anybody else using this feature a lot like me?

I actually think Samsung should keep this for the Note 8 because of the gestures feature vs a reader built into the screen. It's super awesome!!

Attachments

• 23162.jpg
    23162.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 78

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I am not impressed with the gestures. I tried this one and find it just did not seem natural to me so I don't use it. I have no issue with the location of the FPS, I have my device set to unlock with my smartwatch connected, while in my car and at my home so really not many times I have to enter a security code. I find the FPS is nice for webpages with passwords though and really like the feature, which my banking app worked with it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Glad to finally see positive comments on the fps. Few and far between. Not the best placement. Still. Never had much sympathy over the butt hurt over the issue. It's all muscle memory and adapting to change.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I love the Gestures (reason why I love Nova Prime) but Samsung just needs to place it like where LG & Google, in the middle & lower.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree with op, love the gesture of the FPS, and location is fine, it was a new concept and unfortunately on these forums we usually only see the negatives. Unlocking the phone is blazing fast and can be done right from AOD. I can almost guarantee the FPS unlock feature will be faster then the under screen FPS unlock.

hashfork

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
The placement isn't perfect, granted, but it's already a non-issue for me. I can count the times I've touched the camera on one hand and the gestures and accuracy are so good I wouldn't consider complaining anyway.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree, I actually love the location of the FPS. It's proven to be very convenient and fast for unlocking my phone. And I actually did not even know that about the gesture, so thanks for that!! I now have that turned on :)

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I do use the gestures but I find that they are quite limited. For example, swiping top to bottom second time after the notification shade is open does not expand quick settings. Unless gesture support and capability improves I'd happily lose this feature for an on-screen front face fingerprint sensor.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I have no issue with the sensor placement, can reach it fine. To be honest, changing to any phone where it is on the back with have us searching initially so I don't see the issue.

I had no idea about this gesture through! That's handy, will set that up :)

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'd happily lose this feature for an on-screen front face fingerprint sensor.

Have to disagree, I think the back placement is much better. With my S7e I had to hold the phone in the left hand and use finger from right to unlock. With the S8+ I can unlock and go to home screen with either hand alone. Much better IMO.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The better gestures are on the screen like we can set up on Nova for example, you can set swipe down, up, double finger swipes etc to whatever you want. Personally, not going to reach to the awfully placed fingerprint sensor for gestures. Samsung bakes in so many features, they could have added gesture options in the launcher like other 3rd party launcher. But thank god for choice we can switch to any launcher we want.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Gesture is good, placement is not, so i hardly use it. Used it a lot more on the pixel XL when i had it. Plus, not sure why Samsung didn't enable one more swipe down to bring down the quick settings shade.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I have no issues with the fingerprint sensor placement. I actually prefer it where it is now compared to my previous S7 Edge. Works really fast and I haven't touched the camera once when trying to unlock my phone. It doesn't take rocket science. It's real simple, actually 😊