So, let's talk for a moment about what Samsung got right with this phone.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
-Battery- I am stunned by what Samsung has managed to do with 3500 and 3000 MaH, respectively. IMO, it's on par with what Apple and Google are able to do with optimization. I never thought I would say this about a Samsung phone.

- Heat- Where are all of the threads about phones getting hot with moderate to heavy use? There aren't any. Excellent Job with keeping these babies cool.

- Performance- 1 month later, and I'm having very few issues with lag and unresponsiveness. It's still not perfect, as Samsung has a ton of features running on this phone. And it's handling them like a champ.

- Design- We've heard this one before, but I was out today getting coffee and happened to stand behind a family all with S8+ phones (I've already seen tons of these things around town), and I couldn't take my eyes off of their phones, they were so gorgeous everyone was staring including me, even though I had one of my own in my hand!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
On the 19th I'll have had mine a month. Only once did I notice any type of heating and it was with a portable power bank. I took it off and haven't seen that again. It is MUCH better than the 7edge I had to settle for after my note 7.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I've used it for VR for long periods. It was warmest phone ever got. But that's all I'd call it. Warm, not hot. Otherwise the device stays cool as a cucumber for everything else.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've used it for VR for long periods. It was warmest phone ever got. But that's all I'd call it. Warm, not hot. Otherwise the device stays cool as a cucumber for everything else.
The one time mine got warm it wasn't too too bad. Now, the 7edge I had prior that COOKED

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
It's a beautiful device all around with two stupid features one is Bixby with dedicated key that can't be changed the other is the stupid location of the fingerprint sensor. The price of theses devices is hurting smartphone sales IMO

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's a beautiful device all around with two stupid features one is Bixby with dedicated key that can't be changed the other is the stupid location of the fingerprint sensor. The price of theses devices is hurting smartphone sales IMO
I like the FPS location, IMO when the note 8 gets the under glass one it will be a downgrade, I think its going to take longer to unlock the phone then it does now, we will have to see how it turns out. As far as price, they are going to keep going up untill people stop paying it. Apple has hit the $1,000 mark and I think the note 8 is going to hit the $1,000 mark if the rumor spec list is correct, bigger, double memory, 6 GB RAM, and the fact the note series is generally always higher priced then the S8, which the plus hit $840. Not far fetched to see the note 8 to be $160 or more higher with those specs.

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
OK, Bixby isn't ready for prime time, BUT I can see it becoming useful once it really gets its running legs. I use Cortana (as a carry over from when I was on Windows Phones), and Bixby is way behind, but I think it has the potential to become as useful. For me, in my one car with Ford Sync, Cortana integrates really well with it. I'm anxious to see how they get Bixby working to compete with all of the other personal assistants. I won't harp on it just yet.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
The battery life on my s8 has exceeded that on my S7e.
Smaller ( narrower =easier grip, large hands or small) form than the outstanding s7e and with a larger screen.
Glossy black so much nicer than the black from the s7
Unlocking, whether using fingerprint or iris, is faster than unlocking the s7
S7e used too get warm sometimes (not terrible). S8 seems to have air conditioning.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The only challenge now is to make a beautiful phone that's not slippery. I hate cases and a lot of skins don't provide any more texture than the metal or glass the phones are made out of. I want to get a gorgeous phone to enjoy it not hide it. Other than that I love everything about the S8 and 8+(oh, except the fps location). I'm still using the LG V20 which I think I'll end up keeping but next fall I will most likely be headed towards the Galaxy S9 for the smaller size and I'll keep my V20 in my limited collection.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The only challenge now is to make a beautiful phone that's not slippery. I hate cases and a lot of skins don't provide any more texture than the metal or glass the phones are made out of. I want to get a gorgeous phone to enjoy it not hide it. Other than that I love everything about the S8 and 8+(oh, except the fps location). I'm still using the LG V20 which I think I'll end up keeping but next fall I will most likely be headed towards the Galaxy S9 for the smaller size and I'll keep my V20 in my limited collection.

I hear you and I think the same, I've always loved to show my beautiful devices, and with the S8/S8+ is a must.

So even when I bought the usual Ringke (Sometimes Spigen) TPU Clear cases I also bought the Samsung OEM Clear protective Case, and man, I think I found on this one the perfect combination of low profile, protection (at least from scratches) and form, to me it just enhances the phone's in hand feeling and gorgeous look, now they come in colors so for my Orchid Grey, with the cover it just have this permanent blueish tint that I just love, in pictures it looks kind of purple but in person it looks a lot more blue.

I know this is not a cover thread, but just in case you are interested, here are the links:

S8+ - https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Clear-Protective-Orchid/dp/B06XJ47DF7/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1494943274&sr=8-7&keywords=samsung+clear+protective+galaxy+s8
S8 - https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Clear-Protective-Orchid/dp/B06XJ9QLKZ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1494943316&sr=8-5&keywords=samsung+clear+protective+galaxy+s8

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is better than my GS6 or GS7. My GS8 did get a very slightly warm on my portable wireless power bank but only after about 20 minutes. Samsung is progressively incorporating more energy efficient chipsets and displays. I appreciate their being conservative in mitigating the situation with their battery quality control.

The butt hurt over the fps has been overblown. Getting a case and/or simple muscle memory solves the issue. I agree that its position wasn't the best choice. I am hoping that it will be incorporated into the display in the GS9 and updated along with the remaining biometric access options via a security update.

I have gotten used to the glass and aluminum unibody design starting with the GS6. While I appreciate the design quality which Samsung has continued to refine. The bezeless curved edges and phablet sized display in a chassis not much larger than the GS7 is great. That being said, I have used a Defender case on all Galaxy devices as no matter how the shatter resistant quality of Gorilla Glass improves that glass still breaks. In addition, this is the first device not on a two contract price and I am doing everything to mitigate damage.

Samsung tweaked an industry leading smartphone camera, improved water and dust intrusion and reduced the Experience UI skin over Nougat. I love the BT 5.0, iris and facial recognition edge panels (especially Device Management), AOD, wireless fast charging and true multitasking as well as the USB-C connector.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I remember before this phone was released everyone was complaining about the battery size lol. People jump to conclusions but that's part of the tech society. Samsung has really done a good job with this phone. I used to change phones every year but I may actually keep this for 2 years until the S9 comes out

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I have to say, compared to my 2 year old S6, my S8 excels in battery life and speed. Text messaging used to clock every time I'd send a message, now it is instantaneous. I'm totally satisfied with my phone.

J

krabkakes95

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I remember before this phone was released everyone was complaining about the battery size lol. People jump to conclusions but that's part of the tech society. Samsung has really done a good job with this phone. I used to change phones every year but I may actually keep this for 2 years until the S9 comes out
This couldn't be more true. People seem to forget that sometimes it is easier to optimize the energy use of the hardware and software rather than installing a larger battery.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I hear you and I think the same, I've always loved to show my beautiful devices, and with the S8/S8+ is a must.

So even when I bought the usual Ringke (Sometimes Spigen) TPU Clear cases I also bought the Samsung OEM Clear protective Case, and man, I think I found on this one the perfect combination of low profile, protection (at least from scratches) and form, to me it just enhances the phone's in hand feeling and gorgeous look, now they come in colors so for my Orchid Grey, with the cover it just have this permanent blueish tint that I just love, in pictures it looks kind of purple but in person it looks a lot more blue.

I know this is not a cover thread, but just in case you are interested, here are the links:

S8+ - https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Clear-Protective-Orchid/dp/B06XJ47DF7/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1494943274&sr=8-7&keywords=samsung+clear+protective+galaxy+s8
S8 - https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Clear-Protective-Orchid/dp/B06XJ9QLKZ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1494943316&sr=8-5&keywords=samsung+clear+protective+galaxy+s8
Wow those do look nice!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey