iPhone 7 Plus to Galaxy S8+ (returning to Android)

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, it's been a long time since I posted, I think back when I had my LG G3 as this was the last Android device I owned. Been with the iPhone 5S/6 Plus/6S Plus and now 7 Plus since then but have taken the plunge and ordered an S8+ in Orchid Gray which should arrive tomorrow.

Hoping I have made a wise choice!

Paul.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Hey all, it's been a long time since I posted, I think back when I had my LG G3 as this was the last Android device I owned. Been with the iPhone 5S/6 Plus/6S Plus and now 7 Plus since then but have taken the plunge and ordered an S8+ in Orchid Gray which should arrive tomorrow.

Paul.

Don't forget to come back and let us know your thoughts on the phone itself and your experience being back with android! I just made the same switch myself, back to android with the s8+ from the 7 plus, and not regretting my decision one bit. The s8+ is a beast.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Paul.

I also returned to Android with the Galaxy S8 Plus from an iPhone 7 plus. Welcome back, I think you'll love the S8 plus 😃

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
With the s8?

Yeah, video playback is next to unusable. Apps crash or take ages to load. Even rotating the phone to rotate a video or picture takes literally a few seconds before it happens. Plus I've already had to factory reset it twice due to severe issues. And to top it off the battery life is appalling.

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, video playback is next to unusable. Apps crash or take ages to load. Even rotating the phone to rotate a video or picture takes literally a few seconds before it happens. Plus I've already had to factory reset it twice due to severe issues. And to top it off the battery life is appalling.

That's nuts. Dude, if you're serious why not exchange? If you did I apologize I did not look for your other thread.

Could be a rogue app for apps.. Or you just got a bad unit. If you buy enough devices over the years like most of us on these forums have, it's going to happen.
My Pixel XL began to do these kind of things and it ended up being a popular 3rd party launcher. Uninstalled and back to smoothness. Since I've reinstalled and no issues like before.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
That's nuts. Dude, if you're serious why not exchange? If you did I apologize I did not look for your other thread.

Could be a rogue app for apps.. Or you just got a bad unit. If you buy enough devices over the years like most of us on these forums have, it's going to happen.
My Pixel XL began to do these kind of things and it ended up being a popular 3rd party launcher. Uninstalled and back to smoothness. Since I've reinstalled and no issues like before.
Same experience on mine. Slow as molasses. I did exchange, twice, and it's still the same. Works fine for a few hours after a reboot and then slows down to a crawl every time. I'm not using third party launchers.

Have since moved back to the 7 Plus

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Same experience on mine. Slow as molasses. I did exchange, twice, and it's still the same. Works fine for a few hours after a reboot and then slows down to a crawl every time. I'm not using third party launchers.

Me too, it's the little things that matter. Signing into apps or updating apps is slow as hell. Rotating a picture or video in any app to show someone takes literally 5 times longer than my iPhone. Screen is gorgeous but even in full brightness it's worse to see in sunlight than my iPhone. Battery life is shocking. Apps are sluggish and poorly written.

Camera isn't all that good either but I will confess the sharpness of objects on the pics it takes is great.

Plenty to love about the S8 but so so much to hate. I'm not an Apple fanboy and I don't just splurge that kind of money lightly, I honestly expected it to be the phone to turn me back to Android. Instead it's been the phone to make never wanna return again.

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if it's carrier related. Verizon and att really place more bloat than Sprint and T-Mobile.
Mines on TMO fast as heck. On par w my Pixel if not a little quicker.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
OP, I am sorry to hear about your experience! Two factory resets is a lot to do! You tried for sure! I completely understand what you mean about Apple - it does run quite smoothly and I respect a lot of things iPhones can do. Which iPhone have you liked the most so far?

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Me too, it's the little things that matter. Signing into apps or updating apps is slow as hell. Rotating a picture or video in any app to show someone takes literally 5 times longer than my iPhone. Screen is gorgeous but even in full brightness it's worse to see in sunlight than my iPhone. Battery life is shocking. Apps are sluggish and poorly written.

Camera isn't all that good either but I will confess the sharpness of objects on the pics it takes is great.

Plenty to love about the S8 but so so much to hate. I'm not an Apple fanboy and I don't just splurge that kind of money lightly, I honestly expected it to be the phone to turn me back to Android. Instead it's been the phone to make never wanna return again.

I've noticed rotating apps is slow, ie watching YouTube videos slow to rotate for some reason.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like a defective device. I have none of those issues. The majority of us have none of those issues. These phones are lighting fast and very smooth.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
iPhones certainly do the basic functions better. It comes at a cost though. You cant access your file system, and the phone itself is far more prohibitive to use. I still love iPhones don't get me wrong, but you do give up some things to have an iPhone instead.

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Phone is a completely unlocked device with no carrier bloat ware. And it does it even if I reset the phone with no other apps installed. It's still slow and laggy and has the video issue. The phones going back as soon as Samsung bother to respond and I'll be getting a full refund and staying with my 7 Plus.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

Paul.

I went from iPhone 7 plus back to android when the S8 was coming out. All seems to working out for me . Hope the same goes for you.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Definitely odd. I have used almost 40 GB in 4 days -- all video streamed on LTE. No hiccups, slowdowns, or issues. I use NovaLauncher but other than that .. just my apps and stuff.

VZW Model.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar