Just bought an "Iphone 8"!!

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, and it's actually a Galaxy S8. You just know that Samsung has beaten Apple to the punch. The Iphone 8 will be very, very similar to the S8, and cost about $250 more. I'm using my S8 now and enjoying it. Good luck to the folks who want to wait until Oct/Nov for the Iphone.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
About 2011 Apple shunned technology and moved to be in the fashion industry. Apple's constituents simply hate change. They went berserk when Apple simply changed the colors of the icons. Since then they've trailed Samsung in the technology world. Turns out, as Samsung has proven, it's possible to be good at technology and great looks.

Apple folks hate change. Samsung folks demand change.

tattooed4515

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site

I wouldn't say they hate change. The iPhone is a device of its own. The term it just works is there for a reason. Well at least until the 7 plus. That thing was just buggy to me. Apples real problem is they just have to change the color of the phone and 1 or 2 small things and it still sells like hot cakes. My own opinion, as an apple fan, they fabricate hype over their iPhone releases. I mean every single year since the iPhone 4 at least they have had supply shortages on pre orders that started like an hour after ordering. One would think that by now they would have it figured out. But it looks better for the hype of the media saying it sold out so quickly. Under promise and over deliver. Schedule so many to be delivered release day push the rest back saying they have a later ship date then ship them earlier than that date. Idk. Maybe that's not how it is. But again one would think they would have it figured out. Apple puts out good products. But their getting lazy. They don't innovate anymore. The software upgrades only have 1 or 2 things that the general public is going to use. Their last great innovation was 3d touch. Only thing I miss about the iPhone. Samsung is far ahead in terms of innovation. He'll, vtech might be as well by now. But apple has a loyal fan base that seems to be happy where their at. If their not careful their going to sink themselves with their own laziness and lack of innovation.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Lol! Yeah this is one of the reasons I was so confident about getting the s8 too, I don't think for a second apple can beat it and the leaks I'm seeing confirm that, it's got bezels everywhere and even a full screen with finger print in it (if they can do that...) meh! Still nothing on the infinity display.

Yesterday I picked up my wife's iPhone 6 after using my s8 for a few weeks, was shocked at how dated it felt, kinda like picking up a classic Nokia, it's nice, nostalgic feeling, but it's old tech.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Apple will actually be following Samsung in so many ways this year. I think it's for the best as they haven't released anything interesting to me, in years.

I'm actually shocked to see them possibly going back to glass though. I thought they were done with that design choice.

rtwright68

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
So far, I am thoroughly impressed with the S8+. I have an iPhone for work and bought a Note7 last year for my personal usage, went to a S7Edge (hated it), then to an Axon7. Well, sold my Axon7 and picked up the S8+ this week. Also bought the Gear S3 Frontier for $50 from AT&T and they are both great.

The battery life is impressive, display is awesome, and outside of running Nova, I'm using the Samsung apps, which are pretty good!

Apple will of course play catch-up, but I cannot see them having the huge number of innovations that Samsung has built into this sucker!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
About 2011 Apple shunned technology and moved to be in the fashion industry. Apple's constituents simply hate change. They went berserk when Apple simply changed the colors of the icons. Since then they've trailed Samsung in the technology world. Turns out, as Samsung has proven, it's possible to be good at technology and great looks.

I forget what version of iOS finally updated the interface, icons, and menu. But I do remember alot of angry customers because Apple changed the iPhone. I worked at Verizon than.

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
The deal with apple folks,(my son being one), is your captured by the ecosystem of everything simply working together. Most people don't care about why it works as long as it does with as few problems as possible. Imho

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The last gen of iPhones has a lot going for it. They still have the most accurate display on a mobile, one of the best cameras available, battery life most Android devices would kill for and some things I just prefer more, such as a 16:9 flat display, metal body, etc. The things they suck at are the same things Samsung sucks at, but it's very hard to say one device is objectively superior to the other. If I had to choose I'd say the S8 is the better device overall, even though the iPhone 7 is a better device for far more people. The competition for best device of 2017 will not include the S8 though. That'll be between the Q3/Q4 devices. So time to see if Samsung is going to take any risks with the Note 8 in order to be in that competition.

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
I am one who switched from iPhone a year and a half ago and have tried several Android phones. I have the S8 right now and I have to say, I think about going back to the iPhone because of iMessage, photo sharing, overall simplicity, and 3d touch. however, I'm not going back. It's like taking a step back in time. Apple used to be the industry leaders, now they are just keeping the flock happy. My wife wants me to go back but I can't. I like innovating tech too much and Samsung and Android in general has more of that.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, it looks very evident that the iPhone 8 will sport a 18.5:9 display ratio, just like the GS8/8+ and a little longer than the LG. People seemed to have a lot of criticism for the display ratio regarding the way it displays videos, to it being too long and weird, etc. - both from here and elsewhere. It's pretty much a sure bet that now that the next iPhone looks like is going to incorporate this ratio - that everyone (at least the Apple friendly media) is going to call this a great screen ratio and innovative on Apple's part.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, it looks very evident that the iPhone 8 will sport a 18.5:9 display ratio, just like the GS8/8+ and a little longer than the LG. People seemed to have a lot of criticism for the display ratio regarding the way it displays videos, to it being too long and weird, etc. - both from here and elsewhere. It's pretty much a sure bet that now that the next iPhone looks like is going to incorporate this ratio - that everyone (at least the Apple friendly media) is going to call this a great screen ratio and innovative on Apple's part.
Where did you see they're going to do that?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Where did you see they're going to do that?

From this article from BRG:

"Additionally, the post notes that the aspect ratio of the new iPhone 8 will be adjusted to 18.5:9 instead of 16:9, which is in line with what a previous report claimed. It also matches the Galaxy S8’s aspect ratio exactly."

New report reaffirms the iPhone 8’s most exciting new feature – BGR

Of course everything is speculative but the sources they quote seem to be believable and coincides with eariier reports too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2