Email address search in mail app.

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone 7 plus, overall I'm very happy with my s8+. There are a couple of ios features that I miss though. One of them that I use daily i cant seem to find an android alternative. When I start typing in an email address on ios it automatically pops up an address that is in the history. On Android the address auto fills only if you recently sent an email to that address. On ios it pops up even if you sent that address an email 6 months ago. Is there an app that is now efficient in auto filing old email addresses?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Depending on what keyboard you're using, you can save an email addy as a dictionary entry and recall it that way. If email address is saved as part of a Contact then it will bring up that contact.

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have mine showing no problem, I just tried it again with both the Email app and with Gmail and just by typing the first letters of the email address it looks into my Gmail accounts contacts and previously contacted email addresses and show me the ones matching.

I also tried with some of them that I know I haven't used in long months and it still does the same, so I really don't know if it's your accounts sync settings or other setting on your phone.

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
On ios when I start typing, it even pulls up email address from emails received. On both mail app and Gmail app it only pulls up addressees that I've previously sent emails directly from my device.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
On ios when I start typing, it even pulls up email address from emails received. On both mail app and Gmail app it only pulls up addressees that I've previously sent emails directly from my device.

Then you have something different on your settings, like I mentioned before mine does what you are looking for and no they are not email accounts I've sent emails to on this device, I have this since it was released last month and it brings email accounts from people I haven't exchanged email with for almost a year now. For me is not the apps is more the accounts you are using and they sync settings.

Are you using a Gmail account? Are you syncing contacts and emails on those?

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm not using Gmail. I'm using imap. Both Gmail app and mail app won't autofill old email addresses in the address bar but mail app on ios does allow.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not using Gmail. I'm using imap. Both Gmail app and mail app won't autofill old email addresses in the address bar but mail app on ios does allow.

When I asked if you were using a Gmail Account I meant a Google Email account, because if you do, the Google Account on your phone should be syncing Contacts and Emails. Like I've mentioned before, I'm able to do with both, Gmail and Samsung email apps, what you are looking to do here, so that only tells me that something else must be set different on your end and the only thing I can think of is the Amount sync settings.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Autofill for me works fine (btw I keep my contacts on exchange, so gmail is not required). But OP is not able to replicate the IOS behavior. In all honesty, I can't tell from OP's post exactly what is not working. Is the problem that Android is only popping the recent addresses, whereas IOS pops up everything you have ever sent or received? If so, that may just be a design difference. I personally would not want old email addresses (that were not in my contacts list) popping up and autofilling.