thinking of buying S8 or S8+

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
I ported back to Verizon and need a phone. I have used iPhones for many years, but am just bored with the display and need a phone.

Verizon offered me a LG K20V for free. I am wondering if I should grab it as we are in mid cycle and wait for the Next Samsung device.

Any of these higher phone are not cheap.

Do you think the K20 would be ok for a few months or should I just grab the S8 or S8+

Thanks

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Of course the k20 would be fine.

The note 8 won't be out till September or later so it's a toss up if you gotta have the latest and greatest or you have willpower to sit it out till then.

I didn't that's why I'm typing this out on my black S8+

Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Is k20v the same as lgv20, lg's flagship phone released last year (before this year's LG g6)? That's a great, great phone. That and the s8 series choices have amazing customizability.

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
No, the K20 is a cheap phone. Verizon sells for 168.00, but will give it to me for free for 24 months.
I would have to pay off the remainder if I upgrade.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
K20 is a bottom of the barrel Verizon phone. It's no where near flagship quality. If you want a lower priced phone, i would suggest the Verizon moto z play for $144 at best buy, or a Verizon lg g6 for $288, if you want a high end device.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I ported back to Verizon and need a phone. I have used iPhones for many years, but am just bored with the display and need a phone.

Verizon offered me a LG K20V for free. I am wondering if I should grab it as we are in mid cycle and wait for the Next Samsung device.

Any of these higher phone are not cheap.

Do you think the K20 would be ok for a few months or should I just grab the S8 or S8+

Thanks
What phone did you port from. If it was a higher end flagship, you'd be disappointed in the cheap phone. If it wasn't, then may be the cheap phone would suit your needs--usually though they offer them free but you have to keep it for two years OR pay the retail price to get rid of earlier.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Great question @farocco ,

I think the K20 should be fine to hold you over till the Galaxy Note 8 launches. It's got a relatively large 5.3" display and at least it's 720p. 😃 if you getting it for 'free' then I would say go for it. It's definitely in the budget to mid range but for short term it will definitely perform well enough.

Just my 2c. I would 'suffer' a little now and save up for the Note 8. It's apparently coming with some pretty awesome cameras!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
K20 is a bottom of the barrel Verizon phone. It's no where near flagship quality. If you want a lower priced phone, i would suggest the Verizon moto z play for $144 at best buy, or a Verizon lg g6 for $288, if you want a high end device.
$288 for LG G6 is a hell of a deal. That's $12 a month. Credit is across 24 months, so if you don't upgrade every year or every few months like me (bad), then you must jump on this deal. It can't get any better than this.

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Where did you see the G6 for 288.00? Verizon has it for 20.00 a month or 480.00 to buy.
My last phone was a free Samsung Express 3 on AT&T.

hashfork

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
The K20 is trash. Buy the S8 now is my advice. The screen is huge so I see no reason to go for the +. You could always wait for the S9 obviously but I wouldn't want to use such an inferior phone for that long.

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
The K20 is trash. Buy the S8 now is my advice. The screen is huge so I see no reason to go for the +. You could always wait for the S9 obviously but I wouldn't want to use such an inferior phone for that long.

How is the battery life compared to the S8+

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
How is the battery life compared to the S8+

Not a huge difference the biggest reason the + has 500 Mah more is because it's a 6.2" screen instead of 5.8" i got the s8+ and never looked back got great standby great sot (for my own usage) but then again the + variant is not for everone just like the i7+ is not for everyone that's why you have 2 options i'd say go in stores try both see which fits your hand better (when i did this i saw the + was more fitting for me and had less issues reaching the fps on the back). At the end of the day which variant you pick is completely subjective so to each their own.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The K20 and S8 belong in completely different spectrums.

If you just want the basics and nothing else, the K20 may be a decent offering, but if you want a better experience, it would probably be worth stepping up to an S8 with monthly payments.