New SoundAssistant app from Samsung

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I like the 150 steps of volume. I wish there was a way to make there be more steps when just using the volume buttons though. Maybe just double the number of steps for the media volume with headphones.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I know I've read one or two threads here is people complaining about the volume keys and that it defaults to adjust ringtone volume instead of media, so it seems that Samsung heard those complaints because they released an app that does just that and some other things.

Take a look at it and see if you like it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.android.soundassistant
If you are looking to just change the volume keys to adjust media instead of ringtone, that is already available in the:

Settings->Sounds and vibration->Default volume key control

Just change that to Media and you will be good.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
If you are looking to just change the volume keys to adjust media instead of ringtone, that is already available in the:

Settings->Sounds and vibration->Default volume key control

Just change that to Media and you will be good.

Well, would you look at that...didn't even realize that setting was there. Thanks!

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
This is a great app! One thing I like is that it lets you set separate volumes for different apps. That solves a problem I've had because in my car I play both Google Music and Google Maps through Bluetooth. Before this new app, Google Maps was always too loud (even on the softest setting), so I would usually turn off voice guidance. This fixes that.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
This is a great app! One thing I like is that it lets you set separate volumes for different apps. That solves a problem I've had because in my car I play both Google Music and Google Maps through Bluetooth. Before this new app, Google Maps was always too loud (even on the softest setting), so I would usually turn off voice guidance. This fixes that.

Yes! I've been waiting on something like this!

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I actually have opposite problem. Maps guidance is way too quiet compared to music. While driving I'll have music set to comfortable level, but maps guidance will be too hard to hear when it comes up. Might try this app

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I set it to vibrate during work hours and it doesn't work. I got a call and it rang.
I already set up DND schedule for my work that looks into my work calendar and turns on DND mode. I don't know why you would use this app for this instead of DND. Try DND and it will work better.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
I already set up DND schedule for my work that looks into my work calendar and turns on DND mode. I don't know why you would use this app for this instead of DND. Try DND and it will work better.

If there's anyone else out there who absolutely loaths unnecessary acronyms, and also might not be totally familiar with android just yet to know what they stand for and you have come here to actually learn something instead of just being confused looking at capital letters... DND stands for Do Not Disturb. Not Dungeons and Dragons ;)

Njbrandon

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't use a work calendar. I set this app to vibrate from 8am-5pm and it doesn't work? I must be doing something wrong because this is the whole purpose of the app.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the point of this app. Did Samsung forget to bake in a bunch of features into the OS settings and is releasing this half-functional app as an add-on?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't get the point of this app. Did Samsung forget to bake in a bunch of features into the OS settings and is releasing this half-functional app as an add-on?

Problem is that Samsung can't win either way, if they bake it in into the OS then people call it Bloatware, Gimmicks, etc..., if they add it as an optional app then they receive your criticism, anyways, as far as I can see no other phone out there or OS in general (as far as I know) has baked into the OS all the features this app includes at least no 150 steps volume control and no individual device volume control that are the 2 more important features for me.

So to answer your question I don't think they just forgot to add this into the OS, I think they did what they have been doing for the past year and is doing what people have been asking them to do to tone Touchwiz down a bit and to just release all this "exclusive features" as an optional APP and not into the default launcher.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
What am I missing here? Had the app since the day it was released. When I go into the separate volume settings, I get a blank screen and no way to add apps.
4fbd096520af88aa95bc6bd11e7aa922.jpg

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What am I missing here? Had the app since the day it was released. When I go into the separate volume settings, I get a blank screen and no way to add apps.

That happened to me at first also. The UI is confusing, or at least not well documented.

It seems that the Floating button needs to be enabled to get apps on this list. Try:
1. Enabling Floating button (I set a 5 second timeout)
2. Then start an app like your music app and press the volume button.
3. Tap the Floating button and then tap the dropdown arrow.

You can add that app to the list for separate volume setting. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for additional apps. It appears that once to add the apps the settings stick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez