New Device Maintenance Feature with latest updates

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
With the new Bixby Voice rollout (Still don't know if it was a general thing or just the ones that asked to be part of the Early program) there were a lot of Apps updates, I think that close to 20 apps were updated between Tuesday Night and yesterday morning. One of those apps was Device maintenance, when I checked the update info it said that it was for some new Bixby thing but what got my attention was the new "Always Sleeping apps" option.

Until now and for about 8 or 9 months (Since Note 7 release) Samsung incorporated this Device Maintenance App and with it an option to "Unmonitored apps" so you add there those apps you don't want to be put to sleep. That is good because you can prevent Doze or any other OS forced sleeping mode to apps you want to keep active and notifying you, but there was no option to force apps to sleep.

As soon as I saw that I went there and basically I added ALL the apps I didn't have on the Unmonitored apps menu, I mean, if I don't want an app to be always on, naturally I want it to be always off (sleeping), no reason having it using resources if you don't plan to use them.

After 2 days monitoring this, I can honestly say that even when I had great battery life, now seems to be even better and it makes sense because now Apps that were always re-opening all the time until the app closed them every now and then, now they have been put to sleep.

Anybody else have tried this new setting? Have you experienced the same than me by doing it?

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
With the new Bixby Voice rollout (Still don't know if it was a general thing or just the ones that asked to be part of the Early program) there were a lot of Apps updates, I think that close to 20 apps were updated between Tuesday Night and yesterday morning. One of those apps was Device maintenance, when I checked the update info it said that it was for some new Bixby thing but what got my attention was the new "Always Sleeping apps" option.

Until now and for about 8 or 9 months (Since Note 7 release) Samsung incorporated this Device Maintenance App and with it an option to "Unmonitored apps" so you add there those apps you don't want to be put to sleep. That is good because you can prevent Doze or any other OS forced sleeping mode to apps you want to keep active and notifying you, but there was no option to force apps to sleep.

As soon as I saw that I went there and basically I added ALL the apps I didn't have on the Unmonitored apps menu, I mean, if I don't want an app to be always on, naturally I want it to be always off (sleeping), no reason having it using resources if you don't plan to use them.

After 2 days monitoring this, I can honestly say that even when I had great battery life, now seems to be even better and it makes sense because now Apps that were always re-opening all the time until the app closed them every now and then, now they have been put to sleep.

Anybody else have tried this new setting? Have you experienced the same than me by doing it?

Where is this Always Sleeping Apps setting? I don't see it on my ATT variant S8.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Where is this Always Sleeping Apps setting? I don't see it on my ATT variant S8.

Did you get all the updates that were available since Tuesday night because of the Bixby Voice activation? If not, that may explains why you can't see it, but before that update the only thing I had available was the usual "Unmonitored apps", can you at least see "Unmonitored apps" when you go to Device Maintenace-Battery? There should be a section called "App Power Monitor" if you don't see that then AT&T have this blocked or maybe they even have the whole Device Maintenance App blocked, won't surprise me at all.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Did you get all the updates that were available since Tuesday night because of the Bixby Voice activation? If not, that may explains why you can't see it, but before that update the only thing I had available was the usual "Unmonitored apps", can you at least see "Unmonitored apps" when you go to Device Maintenace-Battery? There should be a section called "App Power Monitor" if you don't see that then AT&T have this blocked or maybe they even have the whole Device Maintenance App blocked, won't surprise me at all.

Ah ok! Yes I have App Power Monitor and Unmonitored Apps, but not the other one about Sleeping Apps. So I'll just check for an update later.

Thank you!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't used any device maintenance things on the S8. It may be doing it auto.. I just let i go. So far so good.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I still haven't used any device maintenance things on the S8. It may be doing it auto.. I just let i go. So far so good.

Yeah, I think Android handles that stuff pretty well automatically. The Performance mode and Storage functions are useful, but I think the optimization functions are mostly placebo. The only impact I notice is that it initially slows things down since stuff needs to be reloaded.

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not part of the Bixby trial and even have Bixby disabled but I have that option. Its at the very bottom of the battery screen.
49faaf1d904d73de56ec39d839639d09.jpg

whitecollar

May 5, 2011
Visit site
It was a good opportunity to use Bixby "Open Device Maintenance". In fact Bixby voice has been useful so far when I cannot remember where in the midst of the settings labyrinth something is found but I can remember the name of it.

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
2 days ago I was not even aware I got Bixby voice until I was playing with my phone at work. I got everything on auto update so it was a surprise to hear Miss Bixby. So far Miss Bixby been wonderful and a lot better than Siri.
They also added a new feature in your contacts.