Samsung isn't honoring its Galaxy S8 $200 trade-in discounts. Major PR blow to come.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
This deserves its own thread. I am really stunned that they could be so incredibly stupid. Yeah, some people would try to take advantage of the 200 trade in offer on the S8's and some did. Loudly so. But rejecting phones that actually do qualify is a bad bad move.

People who sent in good condition, working iPhone 4's, Galaxy S6's, Note 5's ,etc. were rejected and then charged $175. Some documentation here...

Samsung isn't honoring its Galaxy S8 $200 trade-in discount for many, leaving customers frustrated

Now I have spent all morning scouring the internet, looking at this issue and it does appear that many perfectly good phones that DO meet ALL of the requirements have been rejected. What's really sickening is those phones cannot be returned and therefore that means whatever third party Samsung is using can literally keep the evidence.

I myself ordered three phones under this program. One is here and two are in transit. I spoke with Samsung customer service and told them I am rejecting delivery on those two in transit. I also told them I may return the one I have now (got it Friday and was going to send in a perfectly good iPhone 4 tomorrow).

The rep told me they have been fielding calls all morning long. This thing is going to explode.

I was going to switch myself and my fiance to Samsung and get us off Apple. But right now I am repulsed by Samsung's behavior. My wife told me NO WAY will she deal with Samsung now and only wants an iPhone. Can you blame her?

For me I need to decide do I risk sending in my iPhone 4 or do I return this Samsung S8 and take the $60 loss on both the case and screen protector I purchased. THAT pisses me off to no end.

If I do take the risk and they accept the iPhone, I will absolutely sell the S8 once the Essential Phone is out. I am completely soured on Samsung by this behavior.

What would you folks suggest I do?

I bought this S8 under Samsung financing, so it's not like I have a friendly credit card (bank) behind me. Had I used my Visa I would have a hell of a lot more firepower.

This really sux.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I specifically checked in with the forum right now to see if anyone else saw the article you linked. The whole deal seems like Samsung could really bend people over with zero recourse. If there is any funny business that Samsung doesn't like, maybe a credit card dispute, and they can blacklist your phone. Boom. Just like that.

I bought a Verizon s8 plus. The Samsung website was advertising 200 off the plus, but when you actually clicked through the buying process they would actually give you $250. So my plus arrived Friday. I was planning on sending in my HTC Thunderbolt from 2011. It works well, good condition, and the screen is in mint condition. But I don't know if it will be accepted.

I understand that some people went out and bought cheap phones from Walmart and sent those in. It seems kinda like a way to cheat the deal, but honestly, if a device meets the qualifications on the Samsung site, then they should honor their own deal. Samsung created the deal, a contract of adhesion, and any ambiguity is found in favor of the party who did not write the contract. It would have been easy to describe the type of phones that qualify for the rebate, needs to have so much ram, such and such a processor, only so old, blah blah.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
This is a terrible situation and I do hope that Pocketnow and other high traffic sites will shine a light on Samsung and what they are doing. I have a perfectly good iPhone 4 sitting here. No cracks. Works perfectly. Been using it as an iPod. But if I send it in and they decide "nah, screw you", well then I will have a nightmare on my hands.

Phones that qualified 100% are being rejected. That is just fraud. And a stupid PR move on Samsung's part.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is being really short sighted if they play this promo this way. They could lose a lot of customers across all their lines of business. I sure wouldn't buy a Samsung TV or washer or whatever if they defrauded me out of any amount of money.

Hell, a decent condition iPhone 4 is a no brainier to accept. It's still a phone in regular use, albeit by old folks😂

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Wow.

Personally, I would never send in a phone like this to trade in. I would either do it at my carrier like Tmobile, or simply unload it at Best Buy and get a giftcard to use towards an unlocked S8 Plus. Of course I also have modern phones too so I know I get about $200 anyway.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
This is why I didn't take advantage of this deal or the bogo they had for unlocked versions. Samsung does not have a good track record with customer care or even handling their own promos. Look at the people who ordered phones weeks ago and still haven't received a confirmation email.

Had I taken advantage of this deal and sent in a phone that got rejected I'd probably send the 8/8+ back and take the loss. I'd never ever buy Samsung again.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I've decided what I'm going to do. Swappa has several s8 plus for sale at about the same price I paid Samsung. So this s8 plus is going back in protest. I could also just grab the u11 for 599...

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I've decided what I'm going to do. Swappa has several s8 plus for sale at about the same price I paid Samsung. So this s8 plus is going back in protest. I could also just grab the u11 for 599...
That sounds like a plausible idea. I may do the same as right now I am just disgusted with the entire affair.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Insurance options? Swappa sells plans directly on the site or use Square Trade.
Like I said, "limited insurance options". Imo square trade is not a great option since once you use the value of the device you're done. Can't renew the plan to continue coverage. This was one of the things I asked them when looking at options for the S8. 2 screens will wipe the plan.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Like I said, "limited insurance options". Imo square trade is not a great option since once you use the value of the device you're done. Can't renew the plan to continue coverage. This was one of the things I asked them when looking at options for the S8. 2 screens will wipe the plan.

Gotcha, didn't know all that. Sounds like you make a lot of claims.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Gotcha, didn't know all that. Sounds like you make a lot of claims.
Never made a single claim in my life. Just like to be prepared and know the facts before I do make one.

Edit: I take that back, I made one when my moto razor was stolen from a bar. That was a LONG time ago lol.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
As I discovered in another thread Wells Fargo offers very good insurance if you pay your phone bill with their credit card.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I stated in another post that this is a disaster in the making, I was told that any phone is OK so it won't be an issue.

I stand by my initial post, this has disaster written all over it, anything that involves Samsung directly is a disaster coming. I won't deal with Samsung directly ever again, the last $99 promo for the S8 sucked, I got my promo, but it was a rough ride and a lot got screwed.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I stated in another post that this is a disaster in the making, I was told that any phone is OK so it won't be an issue.

I stand by my initial post, this has disaster written all over it, anything that involves Samsung directly is a disaster coming. I won't deal with Samsung directly ever again, the last $99 promo for the S8 sucked, I got my promo, but it was a rough ride and a lot got screwed.
So much this.

This promo was too good to be true. Anything from Samsung that seems too good to pass up comes with problems. I'd rather walk into a store, grab my phone, pay my bill and be done. I wish everyone luck but I'd bet Samsung will tell those affected where to go before they honor their promo.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So much this.

This promo was too good to be true. Anything from Samsung that seems too good to pass up comes with problems. I'd rather walk into a store, grab my phone, pay my bill and be done. I wish everyone luck but I'd bet Samsung will tell those affected where to go before they honor their promo.
Or they will spend countless hours on the phone. It's a big headache and glad I don't have to deal with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11