Galaxy S8 or wait for Pixel 2?

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been a Samsung guy since the S2. I've upgrade each year to the latest Galaxy and currently have the S7 edge.

The S8 sounds like it's going to be an amazing phone based on the leaks thus far. Do I get it, or wait for the Pixel 2? It's the first time since the S2 I've thought about waiting.

All over Android Central is "The Pixel is the Best Phone" available now. I don't believe much has been leaked about the Pixel 2, but I'd hate to get the S8 and then really want the next Pixel. Upgrading twice a year isn't financially feasible.

Any input?

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I was debating that same thing except I would go for the larger S8 or the Pixel XL 2. But now I think I am going to upgrade early now and pay my two remaining payments and get the current Pixel and get used to the Pixel experience and then see what the Pixel XL 2 is like and pick one of those up a little early again about a month or so after they are released. I am hoping they get the supply chain issues fixed for the next launch.

Also this way if I don't love the Pixel I could opt for the Note 8 which is really what I would rather have over the S series phones if I am going to stay with samsung.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You are not going to find a clear answer debating something in technology that is 7 months away.
You'll have to throw in what ever the Note 8 brings into consideration as well as there are Android media sites that seem curious about the iPhone 8 or X or what ever it will be. So for now, if you like your S7E, keep it. Or sell it & get the S8 when it becomes available.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 2 isn't coming until December. Samsung has always been MUCH more innovative than Google. Google is all about functionality and good software. Samsung has the BEST hardware, design, and innovative features. Also don't forget, Google hates the SD card slot. Samsung brought back the SD card slot plus added water-resistance.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Pixel 2 isn't coming until December. Samsung has always been MUCH more innovative than Google. Google is all about functionality and good software. Samsung has the BEST hardware, design, and innovative features. Also don't forget, Google hates the SD card slot. Samsung brought back the SD card slot plus added water-resistance.
How do you know the pixel 2 isn't until December? The current pixel was released on October 20th so if they follow the pattern most manufacturers do with yearly device updates I would expect it would be October instead of December

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I've been a Samsung guy since the S2. I've upgrade each year to the latest Galaxy and currently have the S7 edge.

The S8 sounds like it's going to be an amazing phone based on the leaks thus far. Do I get it, or wait for the Pixel 2? It's the first time since the S2 I've thought about waiting.

All over Android Central is "The Pixel is the Best Phone" available now. I don't believe much has been leaked about the Pixel 2, but I'd hate to get the S8 and then really want the next Pixel. Upgrading twice a year isn't financially feasible.

Any input?

I would get the S8 any day than the pixel... I find pixel waste of money... I sold my S7 edge now waiting to see S8 G6 and Nokia 8...then will decide which one to buy

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I should add to my post from above my personal reasons for wanting to give the pixel a try.

I like the fact that it gets updates as soon as they are avaialble. I love how smooth and fluid the device works from getting to play with it in the store and my S7 Edge in comparison isn't as smooth. I also have heard the fingerprint scanner on the pixel works great and I have quite a few issues with my S7 Edge not reading my fingerprint at times. Also I am big with photography and I did a few comparison shots with a Pixel demo and my S7 Edge and liked the images out of the pixel better. I also like the unlimited cloud storage for pictures and video at full resolution.

I would rather have an amazing software experience that works perfectly than having the flashy features that work but aren't perfect. I came from an iPhone 6s and I do like the Android world a lot but miss some of the fluidness of iOS and feel that the pixel gives me the flexibility and customization of Android with the feel and smoothness similar to iOS. The pixel to me seems to be the iPhone of the Android world in terms of hardware and software optimization.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I was debating that same thing except I would go for the larger S8 or the Pixel XL 2. But now I think I am going to upgrade early now and pay my two remaining payments and get the current Pixel and get used to the Pixel experience and then see what the Pixel XL 2 is like and pick one of those up a little early again about a month or so after they are released. I am hoping they get the supply chain issues fixed for the next launch.

Also this way if I don't love the Pixel I could opt for the Note 8 which is really what I would rather have over the S series phones if I am going to stay with samsung.

Unless you urgently need to upgrade, if not I feel should wait for both phones to be out to make a decision. And by that time, you might have Note 8 to consider too.

But by that time, you will probably start to hear about S9 and wonder if you should wait for it lol

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
With the recent spec release yesterday with tidbits like only 4gb memory... and all the other pics leaked, the excitement is waning and looking more like a nice S7 Edge refresh but nothing jaw dropping that I think would say it's a whole different beast from the S7 to upgrade. The S7 Edge Nougat update narrows the gap between the upcoming model with added Nougat and a feature like Secure folder. It might be a steal to get a S7 Edge at a discount when the S8 is released.

I can wait an extra month or two to see what the reviews are like and peoples assessment on performance and battery life.

Hope they have some surprise up there sleeve cause like S-pen as an accessory!! Then I'd jump quicker I think.

Otherwise I'd be more inclined to wait and see what the OnePlus 4 will be like with a snapdragon 835 and what other improvements they bring at $500 range, the Note 8 near end of year or the iPhone 8 with rumored no home button (and no back button either like S8 so it really should be interesting).

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

Any input?

For your situation. I would say, get the Galaxy S8. :D Not only because you have been a Samsung customer for many many years but also because The Pixel 'B' may only come out in December so thats' quite a long time to wait. If you willing to wait, i definitely think the Pixel 'B' will be the superior device but once you have that Samsung with its new gorgeous new design and i don't think you will be swayed by any other device. 5.8" inches of screen awesomeness! :D

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

All this is true, I agree (minus maybe the design). Samsung also comes w/ more bloatware and system lag. No root capabilities is also a big thing (at least on Verizon).

SilentByte

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
Unless they radically change the Pixel design and get rid of that huge chin and forehead, I'd say go with the S8. So much sleeker looking.
Is system lag really still an issue on the new Samsungs given how far the hardware has come? I feel like people over exaggerate.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Any input?

I think if you wait for 'Pixel 2' then you might consider waiting for the s9 and so on..Test drive the s8 for a week and if you don't like it return it and wait on the pixel. :)

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Unless they radically change the Pixel design and get rid of that huge chin and forehead, I'd say go with the S8. So much sleeker looking.
Is system lag really still an issue on the new Samsungs given how far the hardware has come? I feel like people over exaggerate.

I feel like people tag the lag thing on Samsung as a way to punish them for being so successful. It's Very exaggerated.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't wait on the Pixel2, unless i had an unlimited bank account. The more that the price goes up, the less that people are going to shell out big bucks for an overpriced phone. It's getting to the point where you'll have to decide....Do i have three meals a day, or two meals a day and get a Pixel.:p

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't wait on the Pixel2, unless i had an unlimited bank account. The more that the price goes up, the less that people are going to shell out big bucks for an overpriced phone. It's getting to the point where you'll have to decide....Do i have three meals a day, or two meals a day and get a Pixel.:p

You do know the S8 is set to be priced near or higher than the Pixel right? :p.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
You do know the S8 is set to be priced near or higher than the Pixel right? :p.

As of now nothing is sure... Let's wait till s8 is announced... But still pixel is waste of money... See the amount of bugs it has... I rather pay for Samsung LG or Nokia and get all rounder than pixel than excels is few

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca