Even Blass Re @evleaks confirms

Rico4you

Q&A Team
Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Samsung S8 could be in turbulent waters. According to Even launch delayed till April 28th. When I asked Even due to battery issues (rumour) he answered back

Check out @evleaks's Tweet: https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/838802701223931904?s=09

Issues with "low yields on SoC 1Onm" not good news for Samsung. LG playing smarter

00db954d144b158865c5ce9773d30fd8.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So you'd rather not have the latest/greatest processor on the S8? Also, if this is the reason, it would affect other devices that have announced using Qualcomm's latest.

LG SHOULD take this opportunity to try to push the G6, but like many have said, the G6 seems more like an afterthought and a 'placeholder' for the V30, and many are just telling people to wait for the latter. As long as they know how to move their pieces right, yeah, that and the Pixel should be the winners with any 'delays' on the S8.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So, their throughput is not as high as they'd like. I wouldn't call that turbulent waters. If it were Apple, they would keep the launch date intact and have product shortages on day 2.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So, their throughput is not as high as they'd like. I wouldn't call that turbulent waters. If it were Apple, they would keep the launch date intact and have product shortages on day 2.
But still they would have sold millions of them even with shortage.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
A week late makes LG right? I don't think so. Besides, there wouldn't have been a shortage for them. They wouldn't have sold that many

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Another Ambassador here said something pretty accurate: it would be smart if LG had pushed the G6 with a lower price or sales to account for the older processor, but nope. So all they have is more time, which they could use to get ahead in sales... but doesn't seem like they will other than people that were still thinking of getting the G6 anyway.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't think we need to be concerned at this stage. A 1 week delay isn't really that bad. if they delay it another week after that then maybe there is a small problem. But for now, I'm sure Samsung will get everything sorted out. :) They want to deliver an awesome product and I'm sure they will do well. Will be interesting to see if LG capitalise on this. Maybe, Maybe not.

Thanks for the details @Rico4you. I have fairly high regard for Blass. :)

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Low yields wouldn't make me anxious at all - its a totally new process to build a 10nm chip vs the 14nm chips they were using/building before. Every chip manufacturer goes through the same thing when they go through a die-shrink like this. Just means they keep making more and more until they get enough good ones.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say LG will capitalize on this, other than them making a decision that might help their supply chain. Both chips are going to be ready for use... Samsung isn't some noob when it comes to fab... it's part of their core business.

That being said, if there was a significant issue with production capacity, a week of delay wouldn't cut it. If the week delay was caused because of production shortages, those shortages are most likely relatively minor and something that they might have already resolved. Could very well be that the fab house was just a week behind in being able to output enough for full production runs.

And this would sort of make sense when you look at it through the lens of LG using the 821.... phones aren't produced instantly. Decisions take time to implement. The choice to go with the 821 over the 835 would have had to have been made quite some time ago, and at that time, Samsung might have issued guidance that there may be an indeterminant production issue that has since been resolved. But once LG made the choice, they had to stick to it.

Not that it matters... the 821 is still an excellent chip.... we're long past the point where the 'new' chip drastically outperforms the old one. Functionally speaking, you probably won't be able to tell much of a difference between the 821 G6 and the 835 S8... and even then, a good portion of those differences might have little to do with the hardware and have everything to do with the software that drives it.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Whats new in the G6? LG is launching a 2016 flagship in 2017. I don't see the big deal being out a month or even two before the competition. In the USA people are now see the cost of their phones now they are no longer buried in two year contracts. Buying outright or on payments is making a big difference. More people are holding on to their phones longer. Phone companies are already seeing a difference, more people are waiting to upgrade for something new or when they need to make a change. I run a multi million dollar product line for a large company. We are always trying to push for new and exciting features to push upgrades and new purchases.

I have yet to see one feature in the G6 that will be sold in NA and Europe that qualifies as excitement. The only positive is that it is not goofy like the G5. My only guess is that LG plans to release a G6+ in June. Hopefully it will be based on the Asian model with DAC and 64 GB of storage, plus will include the 835. This would be an exciting phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Overall, the delay won't be much of an impact. Samsung fans probably won't be lured by the G6. As for the average consumer, it may not matter much for LG to be out earlier than the 8. There is brand recognition to compete with mainly.

The ones LG might snag would be consumers who have no brand loyalty, and upgrade in the time between the release of the G6 and the S8.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So you'd rather not have the latest/greatest processor on the S8? Also, if this is the reason, it would affect other devices that have announced using Qualcomm's latest.

LG SHOULD take this opportunity to try to push the G6, but like many have said, the G6 seems more like an afterthought and a 'placeholder' for the V30, and many are just telling people to wait for the latter. As long as they know how to move their pieces right, yeah, that and the Pixel should be the winners with any 'delays' on the S8.

Latest and greatest processor is always nice, however wouldn't be a consideration for the majority who just like shiny new objects.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah... SoC has moved down the list of big items as they've increased in speed. Same thing happened in desktop/laptops a ways back once they reached a point where even lower priced processors were pretty powerful.

I mean... the current King of Smooth is the 820-powered Pixels... just because a phone comes out with a more powerful processor won't go back and cause it to slow down.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree we are getting to the place where processors don't have the importance it once had. But then again it is very nice to have a zippy snappy phone.

Oh and the Pixels have the SD821

Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 821
2.15Ghz + 1.6Ghz, 64Bit Quad-Core

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
If the LG just had 64 gigs of memory, I think that they would have lots of buyers.

I might give the G6 a serious consideration IF the s8 Plus is pushing a grand the the curves are too steep like on the current edge. It is IP68 which is a big plus for me and has a flat screen. Especially for $650 you can't beat that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2