Would you buy an S8 if it had no microSD slot?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They did it before with the S6, and also ditched the IR blaster. Samsung isn't afraid to try something "new". Now with 64GB as standard (and free Google Drive promo offers to lure people to abandon the SD card), will they drop the SD card altogether and go along the path of the Google Pixel and iPhone? People still bought the Pixel with no microSD slot, so I'm assuming people will be okay with no microSD slot on the S8? Official specs have not been confirmed but it's a possibility. I'll never get a phone without an SD card, owning the S6 I felt handicapped.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I still have yet to 'need' the SD card as long as I have 64GB on board. Only time I've used it is to download a lot of movies offline for a trip, and if there is no SD card, I could do the same on an USB stick. So yeah, I'm not exactly a fan of the SD Card slot, so I wouldn't make that part of my purchase decision. It's nice to have, yeah, but wouldn't 'kill it' for me if it didn't. And since my TVs use WiFi Remote from the Samsung app, no need for IR blaster either (and even when I did have it in the past, I seldom used it).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The S8 has an SD slot. You can see it in some of the leaked images.

Although semi-official, these are still leaks. And the leaked pics show a slot, used for the SIM and SD Card in current models, but still no official word that it'll work for SD. Personally I don't see why it wouldn't have it, but well... leaks VS official.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Like you said, no reason it shouldn't have it + I can see it in the leaks, it's 99 percent going to have it. Plus, if Samsung were once again removing that feature you know that info would have leaked out like a broken faucet.

The back FPS isn't official either, but that didn't stop people from saying that's what it is. It's still technically a leak though, right.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Like you said, no reason it shouldn't have it + I can see it in the leaks, it's 99 percent going to have it. Plus, if Samsung were once again removing that feature you know that info would have leaked out like a broken faucet.

The back FPS isn't official either, but that didn't stop people from saying that's what it is. It's still technically a leak though, right.

It could just be a SIM slot

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It could just be a SIM slot

Doubt it. Once again, Samsung removing an important feature like that would have spread like wildfire.

Remember, there are people who have now handled this phone. Heck, we even have leaked spec sheets from Evan Blass that mention the SD card.

We're really reaching now guys, come on.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes as long as they have higher storage options like 64 or 128 GB. Don't like using SD card like bigger internal storage.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
My S6 & S6 edge had IR blasters the 6 was 32 gb and 6E 64. Also had a note 5 with 64. I guess I could live with the S8 without sd card.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
When the base storage was 16 GB or 32GB, it was a necessity to have additional storage options. With 64GB and 128GB, I don't really have a need for one. I won't rule out using the micro SD card. I would buy an S8 with either configuration.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a HUGE collection of MP3 music as well as audio books and actual eBooks which takes up large amounts of gigs (hours in length). Why do manufactures don't like it? They have microSD card slots in cheap Metro PCS phones, so don't say it help saves money or space. Concerned for security? Then don't use one. Plain and simple.

Really, most of this has to do with money, and the want for people to pay for data and cloud space. I mean, why free when you could charge. Remember when AT&T charged for text messages? Verizon probably slipped Google a deal for the Pixel to exclude the SD card slot.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a HUGE collection of MP3 music as well as audio books and actual eBooks which takes up large amounts of gigs (hours in length). Why do manufactures don't like it? They have microSD card slots in cheap Metro PCS phones, so don't say it help saves money or space. Concerned for security? Then don't use one. Plain and simple.

Really, most of this has to do with money, and the want for people to pay for data and cloud space. I mean, why free when you could charge. Remember when AT&T charged for text messages? Verizon probably slipped Google a deal for the Pixel to exclude the SD card slot.
Lol I highly doubt Verizon influenced a SD card slot or not.. let's not go ridiculous with accusations :p.

Why would it help Samsung or LG to push everyone to the cloud for money when chances are... It won't be them that is used. Most will use Google or Dropbox.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Lol I highly doubt Verizon influenced a SD card slot or not.. let's not go ridiculous with accusations :p.

Why would it help Samsung or LG to push everyone to the cloud for money when chances are... It won't be them that is used. Most will use Google or Dropbox.

I got a promotion from LG: 100GB of Google Drive storage for 2 years. I think they are trying to convince us to switch and listen to Google/Verizon...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I got a promotion from LG: 100GB of Google Drive storage for 2 years. I think they are trying to convince us to switch and listen to Google/Verizon...

Why do you somehow think Verizon is pushing all manufactures to no SD? Do you have any facts or just have a blind hate that has you make stuff up? :p.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
As @bhatech said, if they offer the Galaxy S8 with 128 and 256GB storage options then you don't really need micro so card slot and should be able to cope fine.

I think they are fantastic for devices which only have 32GB storage or less and the space gets filled up quite quickly. I personally love my SD card but if the internal storage was big enough to meet my needs then I wouldn't mind not having it :)

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I would most likely still buy the S8+ without an SD card slot, but it might make me look closer at the G6. It's a moot point, because they wouldn't remove it again.
The Note7 with 64gb and SD card expansion was perfect.
No one NEEDS sd card expansion, but it takes a lot of the thought out of what you really need on your phone. I don't think twice about dropping 5gb of videos onto the SD card. It's a drop in the bucket for a 256gb card.