how to protect myself in case S8 repeats Note 7 fire fiasco? (still unable to get refund on Note 7)

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
I still have the Verizon Galaxy Note 7, which I'm unable to get refunds from either Samsung or Verizon. The reason? I bought the phone using 2-year subsidized Verizon pricing, but it has never had a Verizon or any other U.S. SIM card inside. (cut up the SIM card as soon as I received the phone) I forgot and left it at my friend's house in Germany several months ago, right before the fiasco started. After dozens of emails, phone calls and personal visits to Verizon corporate stores, the Note 7 is still in my friend's house in Germany. He can't ship it to me for obvious reasons. Samsung of Germany refused to do anything about it(not that I blame them). The phone still works fine, according to my friend. It has been used with prepaid SIM cards even as of last week.

Anyway.... just in case the S8 ends up in the same fiasco, what can I do to protect myself? (short of never taking it out of the country)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Get it from a better source or insure it and claim it as a loss? I had no issues whatsoever from T-Mobile as I was caught mid-trip when the flight ban took place. I didn't even have to return the phone to get the full refund and extra credits/freebies Samsung offered. I just left the phone at the airport (I assume someone else has it, don't know), and I was refunded. No questions asked, no proof that it was left at the airport or destroyed or thrown in the trash... nada.

A friend had a similar situation and also didn't have to prove/return the phone; he bought directly from Samsung I believe, but don't really remember.

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
Get it from a better source or insure it and claim it as a loss? I had no issues whatsoever from T-Mobile as I was caught mid-trip when the flight ban took place. I didn't even have to return the phone to get the full refund and extra credits/freebies Samsung offered. I just left the phone at the airport (I assume someone else has it, don't know), and I was refunded. No questions asked, no proof that it was left at the airport or destroyed or thrown in the trash... nada.

A friend had a similar situation and also didn't have to prove/return the phone; he bought directly from Samsung I believe, but don't really remember.

so... if I'm hearing you right... don't buy it from Verizon... better yet, buy unlocked version from Samsung? :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
so... if I'm hearing you right... don't buy it from Verizon... better yet, buy unlocked version from Samsung? :)

Some had issues dealing with Samsung directly. Personally dealing with my local carrier store was easier (or well I had a special hiccup after the store but my friends didn't and got their refund without hassle).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I don't have experience with Verizon, but I did with a different carrier and my friend dealt directly with Samsung, and neither had issue with them, so...

tesladroid

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I think you answered your own question. Don't take it out of the country. The carriers and Samsung have taken care of most everyone affected.

Other than that, don't be an early adopter and you'll steer clear of most major problems.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you answered your own question. Don't take it out of the country. The carriers and Samsung have taken care of most everyone affected.

Other than that, don't be an early adopter and you'll steer clear of most major problems.

Posted via the Android Central App

Again, I took it out of the country and had no issues at all. Frustration from having to leave my phone behind aside, it only took a quick phone call (which was also refunded) and I just had to leave my phone behind, no questions or evidence asked. I could have taken the phone with me and 'smuggled' it into the plane and I'd have a spare Note 7 if I wanted to, even. And since I got a full refund, a free loaner in-between, and extra credits for my trouble, it was hard to complain after all was said and done. They even refunded my screen protector and case bought from a 3rd party vendor without even asking for a receipt.