Would you have liked the S8 if it had a removable battery?

Would you like to have seen a removable on the S8?

• Total voters

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Please vote. I would rather have a removable battery, but seems like people would rather have wireless charging and water-proofing (although this could have been done just like the Galaxy S5 had the ability to do both). Pretty sure Samsung won't bring that feature back but would be nice to see what people think

Also who else remembers this commercial?

https://youtu.be/SlelbGtPEdU

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Would you liked it if the S8 had a removable battery?

No. I think that'd be a huge mistake and that it'd be a sign that Samsung lost their way.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Please vote. I would rather have a removable battery, but seems like people would rather have wireless charging and water-proofing (although this could have been done just like the Galaxy S5 had the ability to do both). Pretty sure Samsung won't bring that feature back but would be nice to see what people think
Why vote? It won't change anything. S8 is a done deal.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I would never do it now. Buying an extra battery is an extra expense I don't need after spending $800 on a phone.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I would never do it now. Buying an extra battery is an extra expense I don't need after spending $800 on a phone.

What happens if your battery life lost its original charge life after 8+ months? A new phone is more expensive...

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
What happens if your battery life lost its original charge life after 8+ months? A new phone is more expensive...

Phones are designed much better than that now. I just don't see that happening. My S7 Edge battery still impresses me over a year later. Buying an extra battery seems unnecessary in 2017. Quick charge, wireless charging all suit me fine.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I would rather have a sealed battery, even if it meant no additional feature type benefits, such as wireless, water resistance, etc, etc.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

Back in the day it would have been nice but with tech now a days the phones have been lasing me a whole day. As long as the battery can do that, I don't need a removable one.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I get that different users have different needs, but I'd rather have a removable battery than a waterproof or water-resistant device. If Samsung came back with a device like this, I'd be happy! Especially if it didn't​ have a home button. 😉

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Phones are designed much better than that now. I just don't see that happening. My S7 Edge battery still impresses me over a year later. Buying an extra battery seems unnecessary in 2017. Quick charge, wireless charging all suit me fine.

My S6 Active had a 3500 mAh battery. After 8 months, I would only get half a days worth of battery. Might have been because of wireless charging, probably heated up my battery and shorten it's life span...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I would rather have a sealed battery, even if it meant no additional feature type benefits, such as wireless, water resistance, etc, etc.

What if there was a recall again (like Note 7). Wouldn't it be easier to send back the battery instead?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

What if there was a recall again (like Note 7). Wouldn't it be easier to send back the battery instead?

Only if they could definitively say that the issue was only in the battery and could be 100% solved with just swapping batteries. Given the 2 recalls and the 2-3 month lag until they could identify the issues, there doesn't seem to be a way that they could that sure - since they were mistaken the first time. I can't find the thread where I detailed the reasons, but I think that it's likely the situation would have been MUCH worse if they tried to replace batteries, rather than recalling all of the devices. I think they'd have lost much more money, more people would have been hurt and it'd likely have doubled up the close to $20 billion they already lost in the existing scenario.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Only problem there is neither I nor Samsung would be comfortable with me handling a defective battery prone to exploding. Can you imagine if that thing exploded in your hands?

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

You still wouldn't have use of a phone. Batteries weren't available, at all, for the first recall and people had to get loaners. The phones (batteries) in the final recall had to sent in a sealed box. So it wouldn't matter if it was a phone or battery.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

No, I personally don't need a removable battery for my smartphone. Instead, I often carry a small external battery pack to charge up my phone if I know I'll be out late and my lose power.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

Because batteries get worse with age and because I hate feeling like I am going to be pushed, hard, into replacing an expensive phone every 2 years, yeah, I miss the removeable battery, My Galaxy S3 lasted way longer than anything else I have used, because of that. On the other hand, with two little grandkids, the water resistance is pretty much a must have, something I have been sorry about with the Pixel. So you know, kind of six of one, half a dozen of the other, as my grandmother used to say with a big shrug. Anyway, removeable batteries seem to be going the way of other extinct exotica.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

I wouldn't mind it at all. They can design replaceable battery phones with water resistance.

Kontos

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site

I wouldn't mind it at all. They can design replaceable battery phones with water resistance.

Absolutely. The S7 was water/dust resistant and had a removable battery. 90% of people slap a case on the thing anyways. I normally have my phone last 3-4 years and after 2 years or so the battery definitely drains a lot faster. Only reason I'm looking for an upgrade from the S7 is I switched carriers and need a phone compatible on Band 66 for LTE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2