Had a Hands-on with the Galaxy S8

johnbody

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
I had the chance to play with the phone today for a hour. The phone is beautiful of course. It was shocking to see that the phone is less wider than the s7 with a 5.8 inch screen.

Bixby is suppose to be "True AI". It learns your way of using the phone. Also has some really cool things like if you take a picture of a important building it will recognize the building and give you important info like if you took a picture of the white House. Big downer is you have to tie a Samsung account.

Phone will come with $100 pair of tangle free headphones.

Samsung will have a bundle for 100 bucks for a wireless headphones and a 256 GB memory card.

Phone has a 3000 mAh battery.

When you press the home button there is physical feedback like the iPhone.

Battery will be a huge focus of course.

Iris scanner is back and it is in color now. Cool thing is you can have Snapchat like faces on it now.
T

Big downer the S8 doesn't have stereo speakers. Not sure about the s8+

Phone felt much more snappier than any other Samsung phone. Software is really fluid. Phones go on pre order thursday and release in the US on April 21st.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
this makes sense, because verizons timer on their website runs past wednesday and goes to thursday.. I am assuming its the pre-order count down.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
About what I expect.

I also expect a full meltdown in the forums tomorrow due to the battery size lol

Is the FPS as hard a reach as people are complaining about?

johnbody

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
About what I expect.

I also expect a full meltdown in the forums tomorrow due to the battery size lol

Is the FPS as hard a reach as people are complaining about?

Battery size is lower because 10NM technology in it is suppose to be a much more efficient chip by like 30%

FPS is a little awkward but it really isn't bad at all. I noticed my index finger was always close to it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Battery size is lower because 10NM technology in it is suppose to be a much more efficient chip by like 30%

FPS is a little awkward but it really isn't bad at all. I noticed my index finger was always close to it.

I realize that, but you know all the drama queens will be out tomorrow lol

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

I appreciate that the processor is more efficient, which gives them a great opportunity to put a nice sized battery (at least 3500 in the S8) and make it an amazing phone with amazing battery life just like the Droid Maxx line always was. I bet most people would tolerate a 1mm thicker phone for a larger battery.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Interesting on battery size. I will wait to see what the S8 Plus offers and of course the price!

One thing for certain in the coming weeks is I will really really watch and read all the reviews on this phone and then compare it with the likes of the G6 especially if it has the jumbo price tag. Spending this much cash is a big purchase and just like buying a car I really look into it. I will also look at the demo model too. I won't rush and pre order this week like I did last time with the Note 7 without looking at the specs much.

For a purchase that could be $900 I really want to make sure I'm getting my moneys worth.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate that the processor is more efficient, which gives them a great opportunity to put a nice sized battery (at least 3500 in the S8) and make it an amazing phone with amazing battery life just like the Droid Maxx line always was. I bet most people would tolerate a 1mm thicker phone for a larger battery.

I wouldn't mind a thicker phone at all. I think that to much emphasis is put into how thin a phone is.

I think phones have become thin enough to a point where I would actually like them to be a little bit thicker. It also makes them easier to pick up and handle overall.

With the phones having less bezels a little meat on the sides surely could not hurt.

Thanx for the info @johnbody!

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Not impressive, phone speed needs to be judged after installing your own app collection ,let it settle for a day or two, and then work with it.

3000mah is pure awful, no matter how 8895 or 835 are efficient, 3600 at least would be needed, but for this display i wouldn't go lower than 4000.

Power intensive apps gonna suck it so fast... other than battery phone look like a well made Note 7 that hopefully won't explode, but it doesn't have the wow factor... yet.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I realize that, but you know all the drama queens will be out tomorrow lol
a71e852f8a629564b1f024288f2bbf96.jpg

bojan radovanovic

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
my main concern is battery....screen is big, battery small...and same as you, i think no matter how 8895 and 835 are efficient, it can't do better than S7, and that is nothing to write home about.

washuai

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I miss battery life so sweet, I could charge every 2-3 days. I charge my S7 2-4 times a day, so I even miss G4 battery swapping, though not boot loop.

The S7 + power bank are heavier and more unwieldy than carrying extra batteries or a beefy phone.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I miss battery life so sweet, I could charge every 2-3 days. I charge my S7 2-4 times a day, so I even miss G4 battery swapping, though not boot loop.

The S7 + power bank are heavier and more unwieldy than carrying extra batteries or a beefy phone.
2 to 4 times a day???

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Let's wait for s8 s8+ launch... Me still leaning towards G6... And in India will get 64gb version with audio Dac and better pricing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2