I have a Galaxy S8 in my hands — AMA!

Daniel Bader

Managing Editor, Android Central
Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone, for the next couple of days I have a Galaxy S8 to put through its paces. The hardware is pre-production, and the software isn't final (though it's close) so I thought I'd get a discussion going.

This is, specifically, the SM-G950W, which has a Snapdragon 835 processor along with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage.

At first glance, this is a very nice phone. The smaller GS8 feels incredible in the hand, and easy enough to use with one hand. The screen's curved edges are also much less severe than the Galaxy S7, which makes swiping from edges considerably easier.

I've also used the camera a little, and the results are... interesting. At first glance, it doesn't capture as much detail as the Galaxy S7, but the colors also seem more realistic and less exaggerated. We're paying very close attention to this, and will be doing a separate comparison.

So, what else do you want to know? Let me know and I'll try my best to answer your questions!

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
What Android OS version?
What color S8 do you have?

How the battery life so far? I'm assuming great since it's BRAND NEW, lol.

Is it slippery? Or more slippery than the S7 Edge?

Supraman21

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Can you run a storage test to see how fast the UFS 2.1 storage is?

Could you also verify if the screen is still Pentile or if they finally switched to RGB. The simplest test is loading up Netflix,turn the brightness up, play a video, and keep the controls up. Look at the red loading bar and see if you can see pixels/crosshatching. Its pretty noticeable for me.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Have you gotten use to the dumb location of the FPS??
How is the facial recognition?? Fast enough to not use the FPS??
Is the IRIS Scanner better?? Fast enough to not use the FPS??

How is the speaker??