Length of Charging Cable Affect Charging Time/Rate?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Will the length of my S9+ charging cable affect it's fast charging time/rate? I'd like to buy a couple 6ft cables for it and our Pixel 2 XL.
Thanks

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have both 3' and 6' cables for my LG V20, and I don't notice any difference in the time it takes to charge the battery.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the charging wires in the cable are thick enough, it can be miles long, but if you buy a cheap 6 foot cable, the wires are probably too thin, and the charging time will go up. And copper is expensive, so stay away from 99 cent 6 foot cables.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
If the charging wires in the cable are thick enough, it can be miles long, but if you buy a cheap 6 foot cable, the wires are probably too thin, and the charging time will go up. And copper is expensive, so stay away from 99 cent 6 foot cables.

These are from Anker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9WMXYK/ref=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB C Charger, Anker PowerLine USB C to USB 3.0 Cable (6ft) with 56k Ohm Pull-up Resistor for Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8, S8+, S9, MacBook, Sony XZ, LG V20 G5 G6, HTC 10 and More

Bought one for the S9+ and DH's Pixel 2 XL

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Most cables you likely wouldn't notice much of a difference on a really long one even if it exists. Though, I personally prefer Volutz brand and using these now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6229622

They have been the most durable brand for me through the years, but they also use thicker power wires in their longer cables. Using their 10ft cable, I don't notice any decrease in performance over the regular length. The downside is they are not USB 3 rated, only USB 2.1.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

Yep. I spend at least $1.99 on them :p:p

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow, these Anker USB C 3.0 charging cables are twice as thick as a "normal" charging cable. That's a good thing, right?
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6230864

USB C Charger, Anker PowerLine USB C to USB 3.0 Cable (6ft) with 56k Ohm Pull-up Resistor for Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8, S8+, S9, MacBook, Sony XZ, LG V20 G5 G6, HTC 10 and More)

But, is this going to be a problem? I can't find the power brick that came with my S9+ Whaaat??? There's absolutely NO reason for it to be missing from behind my bed :eek: No grandkids have been here to use it. DH has his own. It just sprouted legs and walked outta here! I have the fast charging brick from my S7. Will that work just as good? As fast?

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow, these Anker USB C 3.0 charging cables are twice as thick as a "normal" charging cable. That's a good thing, right?
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6230989

USB C Charger, Anker PowerLine USB C to USB 3.0 Cable (6ft) with 56k Ohm Pull-up Resistor for Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8, S8+, S9, MacBook, Sony XZ, LG V20 G5 G6, HTC 10 and More)
It doesn't actually say what gauge wire the power leads are, but Anker is generally good quality (not just their cables - all their products).

But, is this going to be a problem? I can't find the power brick that came with my S9+ Whaaat??? There's absolutely NO reason for it to be missing from behind my bed :eek: No grandkids have been here to use it. DH has his own. It just sprouted legs and walked outta here! I have the fast charging brick from my S7. Will that work just as good? As fast?
As good? Of course. Any charger will. As fast? They're both listed as 2 Amp adaptive fast chargers, so it should.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't actually say what gauge wire the power leads are, but Anker is generally good quality (not just their cables - all their products).

As good? Of course. Any charger will. As fast? They're both listed as 2 Amp adaptive fast chargers, so it should.

I like Anker :)
I found the lost fast power brick. SOMEone took it into the spare bedroom when she took a nap with the dog the other day. SOMEone shall remain nameless! I compared all the specs on the S7 and the S9+ wall charger and they're exactly the same.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I like Anker :)
I found the lost fast power brick. SOMEone took it into the spare bedroom when she took a nap with the dog the other day. SOMEone shall remain nameless! I compared all the specs on the S7 and the S9+ wall charger and they're exactly the same.
The Anker QC power bricks are good quality, I got a few of those as well. Definitely as fast as the Samsung one. And if you get a device that supports QC3 then at least you'll have an adequate power brick for it.