I've got the Samsung Galaxy S III, ASK ME QUESTIONS!

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
How fast is it? Any lag? You probably haven't used it enough to know how well the battery is going to do or I'd ask about that too.

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know about the screen. How is color accuracy and white balance? Is it better than last year?

One X has a better screen, but HD SuperAMOLED is still tasty. Color balance seems more accurate than the Nexus (no yellowish tint). And Samsung's display settings gives you a bit more control over contrast and how aggressively screen power is pared back.

How fast is it? Any lag? You probably haven't used it enough to know how well the battery is going to do or I'd ask about that too.

It's the fastest Android phone you can buy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: MacPhyle

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
One X has a better screen, but HD SuperAMOLED is still tasty. Color balance seems more accurate than the Nexus (no yellowish tint). And Samsung's display settings gives you a bit more control over contrast and how aggressively screen power is pared back.

It's the fastest Android phone you can buy.

Thanks Alex! I just got instantly hard. :D

JNM

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus can show lag when using even the stock Live Wallpapers on the stock launcher. Does the Galaxy S III stutter at all while swiping through the homescreens with a Live Wallpaper running?

tommydaniel

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Saw the Vodafone live blog today. When you are on one of the homescreen, if you double tap on the screen does it bring up the search bar?

Shiftastic

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it doesn't use scrolling wallpaper allowing less transitions making it smoother

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I returned my One X because of what HTC did to multitasking. I consider it an assault on Android. How is the multitasking on the s3?

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
How does it feel weight wise? Too light or just right? How's the tactile feel of the glossy white?

3VO via ACF

It feels light. The weight is evenly proportioned. I'm not sure there's such a thing as too light, but the specs say its 5 grams lighter than the international Gnex, and the difference in weight isn't noticeable.

It's glossy white plastic, and that's exactly what out feels like. Front is still glass though.

Few other nuggets...

- Battery life so far is comparable to the Gnex with its extended battery.

- Smart Stay is an excellent feature that has so far worked flawlessly. Think I'm gonna miss it on the next phone I use that doesn't have it.

- Samsung's stock keyboard now has Swype baked in (works about as well as you'd expect), and Samsung's predictive text still takes some getting used to.

robmcclellan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know what your impressions are of the camera/photo quality. The camera is a HUGE selling point for me on any phone and the HTC One X has a great camera while the S2 was considered to have one of the best cameras for the longest time.

What is your take? Anything you can compare it to?

Thanks in advance

leemwoo

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
can you use stock ICS keyboard on it as an option?

did you manage to get a nice case/cover for the phone as yet?

are you using chrome beta or stock browser and how fast does it fly?

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Are you able to get the stock ICS launcher by clearing the defaults for the TouchWiz app in the Manage Apps settings?

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
What version of the Galaxy S III do you have?

International marble white GT-I9300

The Galaxy Nexus can show lag when using even the stock Live Wallpapers on the stock launcher. Does the Galaxy S III stutter at all while swiping through the homescreens with a Live Wallpaper running?

No lag whatsoever. We did a video of the live wallpaper stuff launch day btw :)

Saw the Vodafone live blog today. When you are on one of the homescreen, if you double tap on the screen does it bring up the search bar?

Not seeing that on mine.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't use scrolling wallpaper allowing less transitions making it smoother

Yeah, there's no wallpaper scrolling. I don't particularly miss it though. No scrolling is better than a laggy launcher imo.

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Many people complained of low external speaker volume on the GNex. How is the external speaker audio?

How do *YOU* like the phone?

Hah! Loud. Almost obnoxiously so at mid to high levels.

I like it. It's got its issues, but so does every device. The longer version will be in the AC review once the novelty factor has worn off.

Are you able to get the stock ICS launcher by clearing the defaults for the TouchWiz app in the Manage Apps settings?

Nope, but if you can find a deodexed stock launcher apk, you should be able to install that (there's actually a menu for switching launchers so you don't need to clear defaults)

can you use stock ICS keyboard on it as an option?

did you manage to get a nice case/cover for the phone as yet?

are you using chrome beta or stock browser and how fast does it fly?

Only one keyboard, and it's the Samsung one.

Samsung gave me the official clear case, which I'll do a mini-review of at some point. Something tells me you won't have trouble finding GS3 cases in the weeks ahead.

Chrome -- GS3 runs it faster than any other phone. There's a tiny bit of stuttering on some image/JS-heavy pages like AC, but nowhere near as much.

Stock browser is still faster, but missing Chrome features like proper text resizing. Samsung hasn't customized it too much.

I would like to know what your impressions are of the camera/photo quality. The camera is a HUGE selling point for me on any phone and the HTC One X has a great camera while the S2 was considered to have one of the best cameras for the longest time.

What is your take? Anything you can compare it to?

Thanks in advance

Haven't used the camera that much. Early impressions are that it's about equal to the One X, on balance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800