Big JellyBean OTA discussion thread

Dhendy91

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
SAMSUNG OTA JELLY BEAN (4.1) DISCUSSION THREAD

Hi Guys

With all the rumours about the jelly bean update going to drop on the 29th after Samsung unpacked talk at IFA (1800 BST). I thought now would be a good time to start a big thread where we can all discuss what we are looking forward to in the update, what we think of it when it comes and also help any people who had trouble with updating.

Hopefully this way people can get help quicker and we won't have a million different threads about it in the main forum.

If you want a preview of what to expect android central did a big article of the leaked version a couple of weeks ago to show most of the new feature which can be found here:
Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update to bring new TouchWiz features | Android Central.

Having looked at the leak firmwares I would expect the update to have the name DLH7 or above so look out for any firmwares with that lettering (although it could be completely different)

I am already running the leaks and I have to say I think Samsung have done an amazing job! So if you want any info on the leak and my opinion on different things just ask :)

Also you have any hints or tips to do with the update please post them so I can update this Post and share them with everybody else.

Please do post when you think you have received the update so other people know its coming :D

So let the excitement begin

Much Android Loving
DHendy

Last edited:

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm brand new to Samsung (and Android for that matter). I've ordered the Galaxy S3 for my wife but I'm still waiting for it to be shipped to me.

I'm in Canada, how soon do OTA updates of the OS get pushed to various countries? Coming from an iOS background, we get the news that there's a new version of the OS and a few hours later i'm able to download the update on the iPhone. Is Samsung that efficient or is there a delay as to when the updates are pushed out?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm brand new to Samsung (and Android for that matter). I've ordered the Galaxy S3 for my wife but I'm still waiting for it to be shipped to me.

I'm in Canada, how soon do OTA updates of the OS get pushed to various countries? Coming from an iOS background, we get the news that there's a new version of the OS and a few hours later i'm able to download the update on the iPhone. Is Samsung that efficient or is there a delay as to when the updates are pushed out?

do you have the international s3 ordered mate?

Dhendy91

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
It might not definitely be an ota it could be via kies. You shouldn't have to wait till midnight. If Samsung do it I'm sure they will announce it at IFA! Think they are speaking this afternoon :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Dhendy91

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
No it's Canadian specific on my carrier (Rogers)

Samsung are very good at getting updates out quick in my experience, it is the time the cell phone companies take to push them out that matters. As I have no experience with that country I would not like to say to be honest.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
It might not definitely be an ota it could be via kies. You shouldn't have to wait till midnight. If Samsung do it I'm sure they will announce it at IFA! Think they are speaking this afternoon :D

is there any way to watch a live stream? youtube or anythin? or even a live blog?
hope its ota man.. Kies hates me :(

Dhendy91

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
That's strange. If the update is on Kies, wouldn't that bypass my carrier directly as its coming directly from Samsung?

No because I'm guessing your device will have carrier branded firmware just like mine did when I first got it, I then flashed stock firmware which means you get the updates as soon as Samsung release them but you don't get any of the carrier apps that should come bundled with your phone (which is a good thing in my case because they are all awful) lol

But I could be wrong.

Also most of the s3 versions on that side of the pond have different processors to the international one due to LTE and 4G which we don't have. Untill you get the phone though it will be hard to tell :)

Dhendy91

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
is there any way to watch a live stream? youtube or anythin? or even a live blog?
hope its ota man.. Kies hates me :(

I could have got that bit wrong about them talking (might have been dreaming) , but rest assured if they do announce anything I'm sure all sites such as android central will cover it! And as for kies don't worry there are other ways of flashing firmware other than kies if it comes to it :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
That's strange. If the update is on Kies, wouldn't that bypass my carrier directly as its coming directly from Samsung?

yeah its gona be for the gt-i9300 (international model. it has completely different processor :( plus once the north american variants get JB, the carriers will wana customise and test it b4 pushing it out. sucks i know

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I could have got that bit wrong about them talking (might have been dreaming) , but rest assured if they do announce anything I'm sure all sites such as android central will cover it! And as for kies don't worry there are other ways of flashing firmware other than kies if it comes to it :)

yeah im sure Appy Geek will send me an alert when its official. would be nice to see what devices they unveil too (Note II).
what ways of flashing m8? im unrooted. does oden do updates without being rooted?

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
yeah its gona be for the gt-i9300 (international model. it has completely different processor :( plus once the north american variants get JB, the carriers will wana customise and test it b4 pushing it out. sucks i know

I should be ok to wait though. Like I said I'm 100% brand new to Android (although I use Linux), so I'll have lots to play with in ICS while I wait for the Jelly Bean update. I was just curious as to how quickly I could expect an update.

This device is *supposed* to be for my wife, so I hope things don't change too drastically from ICS to Jelly Bean because she'll complain it's too complicated to keep up with the changes. I'm the geek who likes to learn new things, she's not. :)

Dhendy91

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah im sure Appy Geek will send me an alert when its official. would be nice to see what devices they unveil too (Note II).
what ways of flashing m8? im unrooted. does oden do updates without being rooted?

Odin doesn't require root access no and I just realised that it's only the 28th today not the 29th lol so yea tomorrow is the day my bad

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I should be ok to wait though. Like I said I'm 100% brand new to Android (although I use Linux), so I'll have lots to play with in ICS while I wait for the Jelly Bean update. I was just curious as to how quickly I could expect an update.

This device is *supposed* to be for my wife, so I hope things don't change too drastically from ICS to Jelly Bean because she'll complain it's too complicated to keep up with the changes. I'm the geek who likes to learn new things, she's not. :)

buy her a cute pink flip phone and keep the s3 mate.. customise it up to the hilt so its too hard for her to use.. tell her theres a rumour it causes cancer ;)

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
buy her a cute pink flip phone and keep the s3 mate.. customise it up to the hilt so its too hard for her to use.. tell her theres a rumour it causes cancer ;)

The device just arrived this afternoon. I wasn't even expecting it. My glorious carrier said I would receive an email when it shipped -- yeah right. No email, thing just shows up at my door.

Let me tell you, I was excited.

This thing is freakin sweet!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95