Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By imneveral0ne
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default unlocked S3 for MetroPCS

I'm thinking about switching to MetroPCS as my phone carrier and would prefer to buy an unlocked S3 rather than Metro's version. I know I can't use a GSM version w/ Metro and if I understand correctly I can't use the quadcore international version because the quadcore chip isn't compatible with 4G/LTE (not sure if all international versions are GSM). Looking online I'm not finding an unlocked U.S. CDM version. Am I missing something here or is an unlocked U.S. CDM version of the S3 unavailable?

I just answered my question by contacting Samsung. You can only buy the U.S. versions (CDMA or GSM) through the carriers.

So my next question is if I do that (buy an unlocked version) and want to switch carriers does that mean the phone needs to be rooted to remove the carrier I purchase it froms bloatware? Is there anything else I'd need to due to switch carriers? Reason I want an unlocked phone and the ability to switch carriers is if I'm dissatisfied with MetroPCS service (phone, text & email). Metro is about half price monthly of AT&T (my current carrier) and their coverage map shows good coverage in my area so I'd like to give them a try.
    Last edited by mty msi; 10-09-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Default Re: unlocked S3 for MetroPCS

AFAIK you cannot buy unlocked CDMA S3s, only can purchase from carrier, something about them not having sim cards so they need to be programmed with your subscriber details

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

carriers have way too much power in the US.
    are there s3s with no sim slot??

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

You can buy a Verizon S3 developer edition from Samsung

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    carriers have way too much power in the US.
    are there s3s with no sim slot??

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    I suppose sprint and Verizon versions will have the SIM slot blanked out

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I think my only choice is to purchase the MetroPCS version of the S3 if they will unlock it. I'm thinking if I bought the Verizon version I'd have to root it to get rid of their bloatware and use it for Metro's service and would void the warranty by doing so. I'm just not willing to spend the $459 Metro wants for a S3 to see if I'm satisfied with their coverage if it can't be used on Verizon. $459 is too expensive to test MetroPCS. Of course the possibility exists that I'd be satisfied with MetroPCS in which case it'd be a non-issue but I'm unwilling to spend $459 to find out.

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Your're right, the only way you're going to get an S3 is if you buy from Metro - Verizon version actually uses different frequency bands for LTE. Two different models not compatible with each other's networks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S3
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for bringing up that very important point. I was not aware the Metro version would not work on Verizon and vice versa. I would think Metro has some sort of a return policy so I'm going to my local Metro corporate store and find out what the details are. I definitely do not want to be stuck with a $459 Metro S3 if I'm dissatisfied with their service/coverage.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

arent there like online coverage maps for each carrier?

GT-I9300, UK

What about "flashing" your (insert carrier) galaxy s3 to metro? i recently watched a video of someone flashing a t-mobile galaxy s3 with some program on windows, and it seemed like they offer the service for a nominal fee. I'm curious about this because I too am considering buying the metro version - just don't want all the bloatware that comes along with their phones.

That sounds like a bad idea, if you flash any S3 to metro (you an only flash CDMA phones, so that leaves you with Verizon or Sprint) you are not going to have full service, you only get 3G speeds which are actually horrible and NO 4G whatsoever due to the lack of the SIM card Slot Metro 4G phones have to get the 4G service.
    Also even you will not only have the slowest internet connection but you also lose the capability of picture messaging or Multimedia Messaging (not even capable to send a long text message, once converted to multimedia Message due to the large amount of characters it will never be sent).

So if you ask me, I will pay the 400 and get the S3 from Metro Itself, or I will go with T-Mobile with 2 lines you end up paying the same as you pay in Metro and the phones are not just paperweight after you replace them, you can ask T-Mobile to unlock them (once your contract is finished you have to right to ask for the unlock code) and give it to family overseas or sell it for a nice amount of money.

Getting the S3 nowadays from metro is a bad idea, 1st the S4 is coming out, 2nd Metro Phones are almost useless once replaced (CDMA-Phones usually are), 3rd there is no word yet what will hapend with these CDMA phones once T-Mobile takes over, 4th right now the LG Motion (U$S 100) and the LG Spirit (U$S 200) are actually as fast as the S3 if not bit faster, they only lose on the camera side, which is not bad (5mp with a lot of extras) but not close to the excellent camera the S3 has to offer.

Metro 4G speeds are not bad at all, I have gotten from the lowest 3.5 Mb down 2.5Mb up (with just 1 bar on the 4G) to 14.9 Mb down and 4.5 Mb up (this one is faster than my home connection), it will be a shame to lose these speeds just to use a flashed S3 that used probably will cost you 150 - 180 dollars less and then Metro will charge you from 50 to 80 dollars to flash it to get limited services and 0.28 to 0.79 Mb data speeds.

Just my 2 cents.

I just realized this post is old as heck, but well I already wrote it

Quote Originally Posted by Portedbikes View Post
    That sounds like a bad idea, if you flash any S3 to metro (you an only flash CDMA phones, so that leaves you with Verizon or Sprint) you are not going to have full service, you only get 3G speeds which are actually horrible and NO 4G whatsoever due to the lack of the SIM card Slot Metro 4G phones have to get the 4G service.
    Also even you will not only have the slowest internet connection but you also lose the capability of picture messaging or Multimedia Messaging (not even capable to send a long text message, once converted to multimedia Message due to the large amount of characters it will never be sent).

So if you ask me, I will pay the 400 and get the S3 from Metro Itself, or I will go with T-Mobile with 2 lines you end up paying the same as you pay in Metro and the phones are not just paperweight after you replace them, you can ask T-Mobile to unlock them (once your contract is finished you have to right to ask for the unlock code) and give it to family overseas or sell it for a nice amount of money.

Getting the S3 nowadays from metro is a bad idea, 1st the S4 is coming out, 2nd Metro Phones are almost useless once replaced (CDMA-Phones usually are), 3rd there is no word yet what will hapend with these CDMA phones once T-Mobile takes over, 4th right now the LG Motion (U$S 100) and the LG Spirit (U$S 200) are actually as fast as the S3 if not bit faster, they only lose on the camera side, which is not bad (5mp with a lot of extras) but not close to the excellent camera the S3 has to offer.

Metro 4G speeds are not bad at all, I have gotten from the lowest 3.5 Mb down 2.5Mb up (with just 1 bar on the 4G) to 14.9 Mb down and 4.5 Mb up (this one is faster than my home connection), it will be a shame to lose these speeds just to use a flashed S3 that used probably will cost you 150 - 180 dollars less and then Metro will charge you from 50 to 80 dollars to flash it to get limited services and 0.28 to 0.79 Mb data speeds.

Just my 2 cents.

I just realized this post is old as heck, but well I already wrote it
    Lol. I read your whole post and wanted to say it was old but you realized it. But i wanted to say that tmo has stated that ot would eventually phase out the cdma of metropcs once the merger is complete

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

I have the sprint galaxy s3 how do I flash it to metro pcs step for step thank you.

where can I take my siii from metro?

Utr right, carriers in america do have way too much power.