Wallpaper Sizing Question

mds167

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

This is probably a stupid question with a really obvious answer but it's been a long week...

I have an image i'd like to use as a wallpaper.
It's been manipulated so that it is 720 pixels high by 1132 pixels wide.
if I try and make it a wallpaper, I'm asked to select a portion of it to view.
I don't want a portion, I want the whole image so i can scroll!!!
I'd read that the scrolling image size is 720x1280.
Am I going wrong because my image isn't exactly right?
Help?! :(:(

Oh, I've got jellybean and running NovaPrime (though this process hasn't changed from ICS and stock launcher, it's always asked to select part of the image).
It's a daft Q, so Funky, over to you...:)

Mr Quince

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue, it's annoying. Now I just use wallbase and select wallpaper from within the app and it works for scrolling. I would imagine other wallpaper apps would do the same, just haven't tried it. Would be nice to use whatever picture I wanted from the gallery without the black bars on either side.
You can turn off scrolling wallpaper on Nova, but that's no fun.

Look forward to hearing if someone has a fix.

Sent from my Sammy GS3

iVikD

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm almost certain it has to do with aspect ratio. I believe the screen is 16:9, therefore, you're asked to crop a portion of the image to fit the frame.
I'm no expert though, so maybe wait for someone with a bit more experience on the matter to confirm this.
Try playing around with images with different aspect ratios.

mds167

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys.
I've resized pics to 720x1280 to no avail.
Downloaded Wallbase and selected a 1280 x 720 wallpaper and bingo - it fits and scrolls!
But can I select my own images through Wallbase?
Do I need to upgrade to the paid version?
Happy to do so if it adds that functionality!

Mr Quince

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok I've figured out a way.
Download picspeed wallpaper. Seems to be a good wallpaper app, although haven't gotten too much into it yet.
Now when you're in your gallery, choose a picture and select "set picture as", then you have the option "set as wallpaper" with the picspeed icon. After selecting it, you get the option to crop at a scrollable size.
Hope this helps!

Sent from my Sammy GS3

begges

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok I've figured out a way.
Download picspeed wallpaper. Seems to be a good wallpaper app, although haven't gotten too much into it yet.
Now when you're in your gallery, choose a picture and select "set picture as", then you have the option "set as wallpaper" with the picspeed icon. After selecting it, you get the option to crop at a scrollable size.
Hope this helps!

Sent from my Sammy GS3

I tried using picspeed in setting a wallpaper to fit the screen wholly and scrollable but it doesn't work. (Not scrollable even if the scrollable option is checked and not the whole picture) :( I am using the stock launcher.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Mr Quince

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Stock touchwiz doesn't support scrollable wallpaper. That's why it makes you crop to single home screen size. :-(

Sent from my Sammy GS3

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Download QuickPic app from Google store. Then long press on the home screen and select Wallpapers using QuickPic. You will then select your wallpaper and when selected you then touch the icon in the top right corner to set it.

(QuickPic is a much better app than the stock Photo Gallery.)

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Download QuickPic app from Google store. Then long press on the home screen and select Wallpapers using QuickPic. You will then select your wallpaper and when selected you then touch the icon in the top right corner to set it.

(QuickPic is a much better app than the stock Photo Gallery.)

everyone should use Quickpic :thumbup:

and a custom launcher ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

This is probably a stupid question with a really obvious answer but it's been a long week...

I have an image i'd like to use as a wallpaper.
It's been manipulated so that it is 720 pixels high by 1132 pixels wide.
if I try and make it a wallpaper, I'm asked to select a portion of it to view.
I don't want a portion, I want the whole image so i can scroll!!!
I'd read that the scrolling image size is 720x1280.
Am I going wrong because my image isn't exactly right?
Help?! :(:(

Oh, I've got jellybean and running NovaPrime (though this process hasn't changed from ICS and stock launcher, it's always asked to select part of the image).
It's a daft Q, so Funky, over to you...:)

A simple fix, download dodol wallpaper maker. U can make any picture a usable wallpaper, portrait size, full size, landscape. And save them.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

mds167

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded Dodol, used the 'Make Whole Image as Wallpaper' function and it worked.
Well, first picture must be the wrong ratio as i got borders, second picture was a photo from my old phone and worked perfectly, third attempt got a Force Close.
Fourth attempt with a portrait photo turned it landscape. Oops! More experimentation requied...