S3 vs Nexus 4 vs One X

onevivip

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm think of getting a new Android phone soon. It'll be my first so please bear with me if I ask any stupid questions. The ones I got in mind are the Galaxy S3, Nexus 4 and the HTC One X/+.

Here are my concerns and criteria:
- Not concerned about a lack of LTE
- Great battery life
- Don't think I'll be bothered to root and install ROMs...
- Definitely not going to stream music. Got about 5GB of media
- Not sure how many apps I'll have but should be less than 100?
- Mainly music, youtube, photo taking and productivity usage
- Not planning on switching phones for another 3 to 4 years. I heard that one of the advantages of getting a Google Nexus over any other Android handset is the faster and more frequent software updates right? Roughly how long or how many updates will Samsung and HTC support?
- And I'll be getting an unlocked handset or international version if that's what they call it... :S (I'm from Australia)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

tall_geek

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I just need to say that's a great choice of handsets. I have had both the HTC one X and currently have a S3. I had the one X first and while I loved it great screen fast phone and I do like the sense skin they put on Android I had one big problem Battery!
Everyday I never made it home from work without charging and after awhile this did get on my nerves a bit. If you get a one X you will love it feels great in your hand and works so well but for me swapping for the S3 was a great choice. It's a great phone as fast as the one X screen maybe not as good but the radio is definitely better so you get better data speeds on 3G. The best thing though is the battery life, I hammer my phone its my music player (3 hours a day min) I make a lot of calls and emails every day and get home with battery to spare. I am tempted to buy a Nexus 4 to see how it fits with me, but if you end up with a S3 I know you won't regret it. I hope this helps a bit.

Network and GT-I9300 issues, will try my best to help.

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone give me an idea of Samsung's history of releasing software updates for their phones?

The issue here is not Samsung releasing the updates, because they do a good job at that.. Is the carriers that take FOREVER to push the updates. When you take a non Google branded phone its about a 3 step process. First Google puts it out, then the OEM pushes it out and then the carrier pushes it out. With a nexus 4 you'll be cutting down the middle man. Of course there is always the option of root and custom roms. I currently have a galaxy s3 on 4.2 jelly bean thanks to CM 10. If I were stock I would be in 4.0.4 because at&t has yet to push the update out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

onevivip

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The issue here is not Samsung releasing the updates, because they do a good job at that.. Is the carriers that take FOREVER to push the updates. When you take a non Google branded phone its about a 3 step process. First Google puts it out, then the OEM pushes it out and then the carrier pushes it out. With a nexus 4 you'll be cutting down the middle man. Of course there is always the option of root and custom roms. I currently have a galaxy s3 on 4.2 jelly bean thanks to CM 10. If I were stock I would be in 4.0.4 because at&t has yet to push the update out

What if I purchase an unlocked handset that's non-carrier tied? Would I be able to directly just get the OEM updates?

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
What if I purchase an unlocked handset that's non-carrier tied? Would I be able to directly just get the OEM updates?

Yes, the international version of the GS3 (I9300) already has jelly bean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

tall_geek

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's exactly what I'm using here in the UK. If you buy it unlocked you will be able to plug it into Kies or do a OTA soon as you turn it on to get jellybean.

Network and GT-I9300 issues, will try my best to help.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The onebx plus is going to havebabgiant battery and a quad core I'm holding out for it and 64 gigs of internal storage the one x plus will have jelly bean out the box

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
since u dont wana stream music and the htc doesnt have an external storage slot, the s3 is your best option mate
s3 got JB before One X
camera and screen are better on one x.
one x looks better imo.
if u can afford it then go for the gt-i305 (s3 with quad core, 4g and 2gb ram)
or the one x+ :)
s3 has far more accessories as its so popular and dev's will prob support it for longer.
play with both :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Did you not see the 64 gig storage option in the one x +??

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Storage is not the OP's only concern. Battery life is also a requirement, and reviews I've seen of the X+ place it's life even lower than the X. And I will admit, the battery life on here isn't something I'd write home about.

EDIT: In this case, OP, S3 is your best bet.

Sent from my HTC One X

onevivip

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses!! I've decided to go with the S3. Going to get it next week.

To be honest I really like the Nexus 4 because of its price and frequently OS updates, but 16GB just won't cut it for me unfortunately. The One X+ definitely looks nicer and has a better UI, but it appears that battery life isn't that great according to the reviews, let alone it's non-removable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair