Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Snipester
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Questions about rooting

Hi everyone, i'm pretty new to the Android world, i've bought my first android phone about 2 months ago, the Galaxy S3, so i started taking in consideration to root it, thing is, i really don't know anything about it, so i wanted to ask some questions. First of all, does it slow down the phone? What do I gain if i root my phone? Will the warranty just go away? Can I keep updating my phone normally or do I have to update it with some rooted firmware? Till now i've had a jailbroken iPhone 4 so that's why i'm asking these questions. Thank you for your answers. Oh, and, most important question of all, what is rooting? Lol

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Default Re: Questions about rooting

If its only rooted, u will get stock updates. Wont make it faster but u can delete ANY app including bloat so use with caution.
    Guarantee is void while rooted but aparentjly its easily unrooted
    Dont worry

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ok, interesting, so i decided to go on and root it, and i stumbled upon this custom ROM:
    Would it be good? Also, does installing a custom ROM erase everything from the phone?

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Never heard of it but yeah so once rooted. Use an app like Titanium Backup to back up all your apps and their settings. To Ext Sd, saves a lot of hasstle

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Done, already been through 3 roms, right now i'm running the AllianceROM, i'm starting to understand why people like to root their phone..
    Thanked by:
    funkylogik likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Lol
    Let pity all the american roms are diff from us so cant compare.
    I jst cant decide between cm10 or somethin cleaner...

GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

Would love to use a custom rom but they break certain things like bluetooth streaming and camera functions. Too much for me to lose.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Got rid of the AllianceROM, too many bugs, got Resurrection Remix ROM, really clean and fast, and it looks like a Nexus.
    I'm just tryin out ROMs right now, i'm sure i won't keep one cause indeed they do get rid of some functions that I would love to still have, but until Samsung releases the 4.1.2 update, i'm sticking with this RR rom, it's really nice.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Ok, so after a tour of the best ROMs out there, i decided to go back to stock, i did a wipe data/factory reset, and then i restored the backup that i made before installing my first ROM, everything is fine, but somehow i feel like i left something out, is there anymore cleaning that i have to do somewhere?

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by Snipester View Post
    Ok, so after a tour of the best ROMs out there, i decided to go back to stock, i did a wipe data/factory reset, and then i restored the backup that i made before installing my first ROM, everything is fine, but somehow i feel like i left something out, is there anymore cleaning that i have to do somewhere?
    Dont think so man, did u do the davlik (or whatever) cache before installing stock. Maybe it just feels sluggish because it is?
    So what made u come back to TW mate?

GT-I9300, UK
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I also reinstalled the stock recovery to top it off. What made me go back to stock? Well, losing all of the touchwiz features while only gaining a few (or none) was just too much, and most of the ROMs out there are just not stable enough (i demand perfection unfortunately) for me, so i just thought of going back to stock and keep it that way.