Problem saving pictures from Chrome/Google Images

stardustrust

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a few searches around the forums and there didn't seem to be anything that was specific to my problem. I seem to be unable to save pictures from Chrome on my Galaxy S3. This happens only with some pictures however, and usually from Google Images. I do the typical long press on the picture, and out pops the window with "Save Picture" "Open Image" and "Open Image in new tab" etc. Except "Save Picture" is greyed out and I can't save it. Taking a screenshot to get around this problem is frustrating and frankly, stupid as this is something that should be a working function of any smartphone. The pictures are also unlikely to be copyrighted, as some are from meme websites.

Trying the "Share" option and choosing Dropbox only seems to save the link to the website, not the picture.

Any help?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Exact same bro and im REALLY trying to like Chrome.
If you install a 3rd party gallery app like Quickpic, doesnt that appear in the "share" list?

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
"Save image" works for me if i view full size.
Get "Droidiris" if your into searching images, it uses all the main engines (excluding Bing)
Nice app for findin pics and has a "save" button :)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

MrMudkip22

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Try going into settings and then going to apps and then all amd then go to chrome and clear the cache. If that doesnt work go back to that and
delete the chrome update.

hljr435

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
In order to download images from Google images, you have select the image you want, hit menu, select "view in browser" , then long press the image, save image, and you're done.

Posted via the Android Central App

GuccizBud

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
If the above isn't an option for you, my workaround which works about 3 out of every 4 times : use Google site in browser, not Google app to do the search, scroll to the image you want from the results, zoom in a bit ( i.e. pinch OUT )... then screenshot, crop, done. Once in a while the resolution is too low to do it that way, but as I said, around ¾ of the time it's enough for my purposes, which usually involve nothing more intricate than adding some humor to a message.

Nickadoo

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. I found the solution to be this: tap on the image, then tap menu (i.e; the 3 dots), select 'view original image' then tap and hold and the menu appears which allows you to save the image, it's then found in your gallery.
Hope that helps :)

EmmaCluff

Nov 2, 2017
Visit site
Hey... I've been having a problem saving Google images in my gallery on my Samsung Galaxy J1. I'm not sure exactly what's happening. I hold on the image and push download, and in my notifications, it says that the download is completed. When I open up my gallery, I can't find it anywhere. Please help.

Dyzal

May 27, 2018
Visit site
POSSIBLE SOLUTION!

I see that this post is old, however i recently had the same problem with my new Samsung Galaxy S9.

I asked my local Optus store why i couldn't save images and the guy I spoke to had the same problem and recommended using screenshots which isn't ideal. I contacted Samsung and using the 'smart tutor' app they looked at my phone and couldn't work it out. I slowly worked my way up their ranks til a solution was found.

Are you using a google search bar widget to take you to the internet? This could be it.
To check, go directly to the internet app or chrome app and trying downloading an image from there. Although my search bar opened chrome and I wasn't able to save images, I found that if i went directly to the chrome app then searched they would appear in my downloads folder. If you are able to save images this way then it too might be your google widget.

How do you fix it? simply put, you're most likely using the wrong one.

33664130_1735673613183603_4755643198951391232_n.jpg

See this second google bar thats highlighted in blue? It has limitations and this is one of them, So how do you get the right one? Go to widgets - chrome - chrome search. Now try using it to download an image. I hope this works for you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just learned this solution from RocThrower: https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=884746&p=6324010&viewfull=1#post6324010. All you have to do is turn on Storage permission for the Google app! The problem is that if Storage permission is off, the Google app saves to a protected system directory called /document, which can only be accessed by the Google app itself. Once you turn on the Storage permission, images will be downloaded to the user-accessible /Download directory.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital