International Galaxy S3 Battery issues

Qahir Lalani

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I purchased this phone as of 3 days ago, so am on my third day of using it.
I did all the normal things, I charged the phone straight away before using it and then used it and discharged it. My battery life seems to be quite bad. I am running jellybean and i have no sim card inserted, I am not doing processor intensive tasks, and I am using the phone for minimal tasks, such as browsing web, looking through flip board, playing music occasionally, looking at facebook, using googlenow or s-voice occasionally and just flicking through the homescreens. I have screen at full brightness and wifi on but no date as i have no sim card inside.
The battery life is as follow: 22h18 36s on battery and level is 41% and then screen on time is 1h22mins and 3seconds
then screen=56%
android OS=8%
device idle=8%
cell standby=8%
android system=7%
Maps=4%
Gallery=3%
and so on.

I have done a ton of research into this phone before buying it, i even owned a HTC one X, so I know what to expect, but I am very worried about the battery life I have been having. The battery should loose that much power when being idle for most of the day, the screen on time is only an hour and it doesn't make sense.
Any feedback would be helpful, seriously considering getting a replacement.

Snipester

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, there's nothing wrong with your battery really, you're just draining it by doing stuff on the phone, though i can tell you that if you reduce the brightness and turn wifi off when you're not using it your battery life with drastically increase

Qahir Lalani

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
okay thanks, maybe it was me just having a mad day, i was getting worried that i might have a repeat of the one x problems. Just out of wonder do you own an s3? If so what sort of time do you get from it?

Snipester

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I do own an S3, the International version to be precise, so i'm telling you all of this from personal experience, usually, my phone lasts for 1 day and a couple hours, but that's with little to moderate usage, sometimes it gets to 2 days, but that's when i rarely use it, keep in mind though that i don't usually keep it on "battery saving" mode, so it can probably do better than that.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Can you do a full discharge and take screenshot of battery stats.
Two things stand out to me mate.
A) screen is BIGGEST battery eater.. why u want it on full brightness? Set it to like 10%, youll get used to it and itl look nicer
B) i constantly have wifi on but it uses 0% battery as i have a sim in so im guessin your phones always searchin for wifi which will MUNCH battery.

You should instal Gsam battery monitor and check the rerults of that too and youll know whats eating your battery.
Full brightness is a no-no though bud and when the screens off, searching for a weak wifi signal will kill it.
GSAM will tell all though :)

Just finished reading your post n wtf are u a vampire lol... thats excelent batt' life (really should read whole posts)

Ps, battery saving mode is like halving the price of your phone lol.

Seriously how long should a phone last? Mine averages 6.5hrs justnow lol :)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Qahir Lalani

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks,guys, yeh i know its mad, but like if you read this article from techradar,

"Under heavy load, the phone will last about eight hours. And we mean heavy: the battery test we mentioned plus an hour of photography and video.
And after that, half an hour of playing Riptide GP and then some web browsing for a further hour. Then around 20 minutes of music listening before an hour's session on video.
We also had the voice-control activated from the lock screen the whole time, which Samsung tells you is a real battery killer as it listens to what you say.
This pushed the battery to about 20%, after which we killed it trying to synchronise over Wi-Fi direct in about 45 minutes (although this can be a real battery drainer).
In real use, as in not checking it every seven seconds to play with it (the curse of the new phone) you'll get a much more reasonable battery life. We regularly saw power drops of only 30% by 2PM, and a healthy 25% by bedtime.
This will change during use, obviously, but it's much harder to hammer the battery through actually doing things the phone is supposed to, compared to the HTC One X."

This is what I'm expecting from the phone, so you can see why I'm tetchy. But cheers for the help guys. I did question as to whether not having a simcard in affects it, but one thing seemed odd, was that the network signal bar shows i have signal? I have no sim card in so why is it showing this? I'll download that app and see what it says. I did manage to squeeze the life out of it yesterday, had a 1day 14hrs and was left at 2% battery, but again, i have used the phone minimally over the whole time so i managed to get 2hours on screen time. I probably sound like a whiny child i know, but after the pain i have suffered with what seems to be all my HTC phones, i just want my s3 to work as it should. But i do like touchwiz, a lot smoother than sense which is just soooo slow sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech